NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

The best reason for the Houston Texans to draft Reggie Bush should have been selling tickets. After seeing him in college, everyone wants to go and see him go to work in the NFL. I think Reggie will do a lot of good for the city of New Orleans and help the Saints make a lot of extra money this season.

I like David Carr. He has a powerful arm and has a good set of recievers, especially now with Eric Moulds on the team. He has played some great games too, but in a majority of his games against a team with a mediocre defence, Carr was not getting any time to settle and throw. I hope that the Texans line has improved, but I am not holding my breath.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested in Charles Rogers, he still hasn't been picked up. The interesting detail in this story is that nobody made a claim for him in the waiver wires. I guess the two broken collar bones and four game drug suspension scared teams away. It's looking like his most likely destination could be Miami, where he'd be reunited with Joey Harrington (he and Joey could ride the pine together).

Also, here's a chilling thought for Detroit fans. If for some reason Culpepper couldn't play in Thursday Night's game, the starting QB's would be Charlie Batch and Joey Harrington. :o

Since I don't live anywhere that has a team (being Canadian, afterall), my favorite teams are Buffalo and the New York Football Giants.

The Giants look great. Eli Manning showed his stuff last year and will most likely improve on his good numbers. Tiki Barber has always been a great threat on the ground and through the air. Plexico Burress and Amani Toomer are both top flight recievers, and add in Sinorice Moss or Jeremy Shockey and most teams will find it too difficult to cover anyone. Plus, the Giants defence isn't porous and looks like a unit that could really do some damage to the other teams offence. I would be shocked to see them miss the playoffs.

The Bills are going to suck again. Willis Magahee is the only big offensive weapon, he is a really great runner. But with Moulds gone, the only top tier wide reciever is Lee Evans. I would be surprised to see JP Losman ready to be the full time starter, and Kelly Holcombe is just not a true starter on any other team. Defence is the only saving grace for the Bills, but they have lost some people. Look to Takeo and Fletcher to have big impacts on close games, but without an offence I do not think the Bills have a shot.

Just a couple quick comments based on others comments....

Mike Williams didn't see a lot of action because of Marinelli's approach: Hard Work over Talent. Williams showed talent and obviously has talent, but still doesn't have the work ethic and Marinelli won't reward that, it's why Rogers was ultimately cut despite his actual ability.

And the Texans draft debate will wage on for quite a while. I don't disagree with their pick as you build a team starting at the lines. Drafting Reggie Bush and putting him behind one of the "worst lines in the history of football" as Maxx said still wouldn't work. He's a phenomenal athlete, but with no line, he'd be lackluster. My pick would have been D'Brickashaw Ferguson. A top offensive tackle can mean a lot for a team, he'd give Carr protection while helping to open up the running game with Domanick Davis (who at the time wasn't hurt). But, it's a debate that'll go on.

Living in Denver, I was quite surprised that the Broncos cut Bradlee Van Pelt and Carswell. They're going into the season with a two man quarterback roster again instead of keeping Van Pelt as a third stringer. Carswell is just big in the community and I'd hate to see him leave Denver to go somewhere else just because of that aspect.

As a Chiefs fan, I have no idea what to think. Larry Johnson's a good back but with the focus on him, I'm not expecting superman numbers and with Saunders offense gone to Washington, I'm just not sure what to think. We're gonna try to win more games with our defense than offense and that's a scary thing in KC.

Not that this is a bold prediction but I think that the Miami D is going to eat Charlie Batch alive. I think Miami takes the win tonight, with Big Ben's surgery hurting the Steelers. I think Culpepper has a solid game, along with Ronnie Brown doing well on the ground. Expect Batch to take a lot of sacks and throw a few int's.

Edit - By the way, I'm loving this guy Wes Welker. He's a great utility man type of player, and has been impressive catching balls and returning kicks. This is the same guy who a few years back (or maybe last year) was the first player in NFL history to return a kick, catch a pass, and make a field goal. I think it was those three, I know the field goal was there for sure, but he may have also blocked a punt. Still, it was one of those things that makes me love football that much more.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Not that this is a bold prediction but I think that the Miami D is going to eat Charlie Batch alive. I think Miami takes the win tonight, with Big Ben's surgery hurting the Steelers. I think Culpepper has a solid game, along with Ronnie Brown doing well on the ground. Expect Batch to take a lot of sacks and throw a few int's.

Edit - By the way, I'm loving this guy Wes Welker. He's a great utility man type of player, and has been impressive catching balls and returning kicks. This is the same guy who a few years back (or maybe last year) was the first player in NFL history to return a kick, catch a pass, and make a field goal. I think it was those three, I know the field goal was there for sure, but he may have also blocked a punt. Still, it was one of those things that makes me love football that much more.

Agreed on Welker; I only saw a few plays of his last season but I felt that while he isn't/wasn't a big-name receiver, the guy can flat-out play the game and he did a ridiculous job of that in the first half, great returns, some nice catches and he just makes stuff happen. He isn't the biggest or the strongest or the fastest, he just finds ways to get it done.

Yeah you nailed those.

Yep, but as somebody that has seen a lot of Charlie Batch footage it's not hard to expect him to fail. He was typically the guy that would let you down when you needed a big drive, or an important touch down. He's not exactly known as a mistake free QB. Sure the Steelers coaching staff will say he's a "veteran, and will do his job" but those in Detroit only know the old Batch.

So pardon me for expecting the same old Batch.

Miami's D was dissapointing and I expected more from them. Miami as a team pretty much collapsed during the second half.

Edited by VerbalPuke

So let me get this straight...you're using a guy's playing days in Detroit to compare his play with anyone else in the league?

He didn't exactly have the supporting cast in Detroit to do anything. Charlie played good for the Steelers last year and won us two games.

Charlie Batch is a solid QB. Even better when he has a team around him.

I'm not anti-Batch, he's solid, but there is a reason he's a back up right now. He's the type of QB that is typically eaten alive by a good D, and I expected Miami to have him under pressure all night. This is a D-Line that set a franchise record for sacks last year.

He actually did have some good supporting casts in Detroit, teams that were capable of getting to the playoffs. He was decent with us for a few years, but completely sputtered as the years wore on. One thing that caused his demise in Detroit was his consistent injuries, especially when the teams we had were solid and in playoff contention.

True though, Pittsburgh is a good place for a QB to flourish. Strong running game, good wide outs, and a tough O-Line.