World Cup 2006

Dan

I think the referee was quite good today, he was kind of reluctant to show cards when he should have for their dives. But he didn't buy into too many dives, allowed play ons and in the end the right team won.

So yeah, I think it was a good performance from the referee. He just should have shown cards to the divers considering he stopped play when they dived, he should have booked them then, and if they done it again. Red card. There just Portugese, so they don't matter.

I think the referee was quite good today, he was kind of reluctant to show cards when he should have for their dives. But he didn't buy into too many dives, allowed play ons and in the end the right team won.

So yeah, I think it was a good performance from the referee. He just should have shown cards to the divers considering he stopped play when they dived, he should have booked them then, and if they done it again. Red card. There just Portugese, so they don't matter.

The more I watch teams that rely on diving tactics, I think it's best if they let them dive and completely ignore the situation. No cards, no attention, just play on. That way, the silly monkey that decided to dive will waste time jawing the referee, leave their side down a man, and a team who wants to counter-attack has that much more of an advantage.

By stopping play, you stop all physical and a lot of mental momentum, which is practically just as good as getting the card given to the opposition (the only difference being an inevitable send-off.) By not even acknowledging it, you're basically telling them to quit their bitching and suck it up, and that's football I can enjoy.

Edited by The Midget

It's not just the diving though, it's the fact that they'll try their hardest to get a player on the other team booked (Pauleta when Miguel fell over, for example).

Punishment is the only way to go, because if you ignore it they're still getting away with it. Send them off and ban them for a handful of games, that'll soon stop them.

Punishment is the only way to go, because if you ignore it they're still getting away with it. Send them off and ban them for a handful of games, that'll soon stop them.

It's kind of six eggs in exchange for half-a-dozen eggs. Yes, giving them the boot will get their attention, but so will an opportunistic couple of teams taking advantage of the numbers and scoring on them.

Given the style of play I've watched from a lot of teams, though, and the seeming apathy from the bigwigs, neither seem likely to occur.

It's not just the diving though, it's the fact that they'll try their hardest to get a player on the other team booked (Pauleta when Miguel fell over, for example).

The more I watch teams that rely on diving tactics, I think it's best if they let them dive and completely ignore the situation. No cards, no attention, just play on. That way, the silly monkey that decided to dive will waste time jawing the referee, leave their side down a man, and a team who wants to counter-attack has that much more of an advantage.

By stopping play, you stop all physical and a lot of mental momentum, which is practically just as good as getting the card given to the opposition (the only difference being an inevitable send-off.) By not even acknowledging it, you're basically telling them to quit their bitching and suck it up, and that's football I can enjoy.

OK, I guess the French flag can go away now, can't it?

No, they still have to beat the other smelly cheaters Italy!