World Cup 2006

Dan

You crazy English blokes with your constant bitching and moaning about how awful the players are and how daft the coach is. Did any of you watch the USA games? Go watch what Bruce Arena did, then tell me Sven is clueless. Go watch the Americans phone it in against the Czechs, then tell me the English players are garbage. You're alive, we're not; so shut up. PLEASE.

We've already been through this before, Dukes. Football to the US is like, their 5th sport, and also, the US aren't particularly good at it. They don't have world class players that get paid millions of pounds a year to ply their trade, they are full for the most part of journeymen types. The US shouldn't expect to do good in a tournament, especially when you had the group you had.

England's sport is football, and that's by a long margin. We made the sport of football what it is (the game of football, rules and what have you were generally concieved in the UK), and it's a huge part of the culture. We have all these players that are good, world class even, and we flatter to decieve nearly every tournament. Other countries who have big name players expect the same of their team, and when they don't perform, we have every right to feel let down.

The difference is that your expectations for the US were wayy too high, as was seen relative to other US posters in this thread. The expectation for an England team that has been groomed specifically for this tournament (as Eriksson noted) is quite rightly high, and we aren't doing it.

EDIT: Dukes, what did you realistically expect the US could do this tournament, out of interest? How far did you think they could go?

Edited by liamwannabe

You crazy English blokes with your constant bitching and moaning about how awful the players are and how daft the coach is. Did any of you watch the USA games? Go watch what Bruce Arena did, then tell me Sven is clueless. Go watch the Americans phone it in against the Czechs, then tell me the English players are garbage. You're alive, we're not; so shut up. PLEASE.

Oh, and can we borrow a coach for the team after Arena's gone?

Injury forces Senderos out of Cup

Switzerland defender Philippe Senderos has been ruled out of the rest of the World Cup after dislocating his shoulder in the win over South Korea.

The Arsenal centre-half suffered a cut to his face after his first-half opener but picked up his shoulder injury when he fell awkwardly in the 53rd minute.

Team doctor Rudolf Roeder explained he had also suffered ligament damage.

"He will be out for a minimum of two weeks and there is a 50% chance he will require an operation," he explained.

It is unlikely to affect his fitness for the start of Arsenal's Premiership campaign in August.

Switzerland play Ukraine in the second-round match on Monday having topped Group G.

I change my prediction to a Ukraine victory ¬_¬

Oh, and can we borrow a coach for the team after Arena's gone?

Edited by The Kraig

I TOLD YOU SWEDEN WERE SHIT, I TOLD YOU ALL! WERDEN DEUTSCHE ENERGIE! DIE SCHWEDEN BUMSEN! (¬_¬)

Sweden have played so bad, I've actually had matchfixing cross my mind to explain this absolute shite of a football match.

Bwaha, Linderoth took a ball to the balls. And Germany play on.

Edited by The Kraig