World Cup 2006

Dan

When people say England save it for the big matches, which matches are they refering to? The only one that comes to mind is Germany and that was 5 years ago, before that Italy in 98.

And Dan, Carrick has been one of the best midfielders in England over a 38 game season. Fuck one B International, he was class against Columbia if you remember that far back.

Columbia are shit.

Nick fucking Barmby had a few good games for England, he's not exactly setting the world on fire.

Hargreaves > Carrick every day of the week.

Oh and Argentina 2002, Argentina 2005.

Alright so Carragher/Ashley Cole/Owen in his 2 games showed more worth to the team?

And Michael Carrick is the most overrated play I can think of apart from Totti.

What's with the amazing bum-love of him? In the B-international he was shit.

And Beckham has been shit and gone missing in all three of our games so far, he doesn't deserve to be in the squad.

And any one of Gerrard, Lampard and Terry would be a far better choice for captain, Beckham hasn't show he can lead a team since the Greece game - and he's gone almost consistently downhill from there.

Right.

So if Beckham hadn't of played a peach of a ball against Paraguay we'd be facing Germany tommorow.

When people say England save it for the big matches, which matches are they refering to? The only one that comes to mind is Germany and that was 5 years ago, before that Italy in 98.

I'm not saying we save it for the big matches, I'm merely pointing out that you can't judge a performance against Trinidad And Tobago and then be "oh, we'll get ripped to shreds by *insert better team here*". Teams play different styles, have different players who do different things. Against a more open side, we could exploit it. Carragher/Carrick/Hargreaves could neutralise Riquelme/Kaka/insert other big name here so that they can't run the game....and on and on. It just isn't the same, and shouldn't be looked at in the same context IMO.

Edited by fineintent

Yeah, one or two good balls really justify being mediocre and generally absent for the rest of a tournament.

Works for some other teams (see: Ronaldo....although not delivering balls, you get the concept >_>)

EDIT: Intent, Riquelme is class, but I'm more looking at the fact that you might find the round peg to fit in the round hole when it comes to being one step ahead of him in a game, who knows?

Edited by liamwannabe

And LOL at the Argentina matches - one was a friendly and we won after they took Riquelme off, the other we were awful in, they were just worse.

Though I get the sentiment, I'm sure very few people, outside of England even, see victories against Argentina as nothing special.....Argentina are World Class, and went out to win both games. We won both games, they didn't. It says something, although I'd like to see it more often...

Guest muddatrucker

I'm an Arsenal fan, I'd like to have seen Defoe, Carrick and Lennon in the team...

EDIT:

I said it with OH and I'll say it with Beckham
Edited by muddatrucker

Defoe is shit. He's a whiny little bastard too.

SWP isn't the player he was at City.

I don't know why I'm arguing because at the end of the day Sven will play Beckham and we will win the World Cup.

And the worst time to drop your captain and potetial match winner? The last 16 of the world cup.

Edited by RevolutionDanSquad

I'm an Arsenal fan, I'd like to have seen Defoe, Carrick and Lennon in the team...

Fuck Defoe, get Bent back here and in the squad :shifty:

I'd rather see Hargreaves than Carrick (as I've never been on the Hargreaves hate wagon) personally, and I like Lennon as a 45 minute player, personally. I dunno if he'd be as useful over 90 minutes at International level. That, and you'd mix it up for the second half and stick a fast winger who is willing to get at defenders, when they've got used to whoever else had been playing down that side. Tactically might work out.

Edited by liamwannabe

EDIT:

Are you making out that Hargreaves has suddenly become superb to help with the Beckham point?

Suddenly?

I watch German football and I can assure you he's always been a good player.

He hadn't started and England game for 3 years before the Sweden game. It was always the lack of chances in his position that let him down.

Guest muddatrucker

EDIT:

Are you making out that Hargreaves has suddenly become superb to help with the Beckham point?

Defoe is shit. He's a whiny little bastard too.

SWP isn't the player he was at City.

I don't know why I'm arguing because at the end of the day Sven will play Beckham and we will win the World Cup.

And the worst time to drop your captain and potetial match winner? The last 16 of the world cup.

I don't get why people wanted Defoe over Bent, seriously. Bent scored the most goals by an English person in the Prem, mostly for a woeful team, Defoe struggled with form and struggled to get into the Spurs team at points.

Aside from the experience playing for England that Defoe has (nothing too great though, really), and I'd have definitely over-looked Defoe.

Bent played better, and had generally better form nearly all season.

Edited by liamwannabe

If you are looking for an Owen replacement, you'd look at Defoe. Personally, with hindsight, it would have been wise to take both Defoe and Bent. Defoe is the better player, without doubt, its just a matter of turning it on. He starts for England against Poland, scores a lovely goal, doesn't start again. If he plays, he'll score and would be a brilliant partner for Rooney, who loves to drop deep.

France/Spain should be tasty, I hope Spain turn it on again.