World Cup 2006

Dan

Guest muddatrucker

I'm leeching them off SIOS so hopefully they don't notice :shifty:

I've also requested an italian one with greasy on the back too :D

Well, that really shocked the hell out of me. I actually thought it would go to penalties and we would whoop their asses, but, sadly, it didn't really turn out that way. The only thing that's really saddened me though is that fact that Italy wouldn't even have made the quarters had it not been for a dive.

So, despite me being really indifferent to France, I too may as well hop on their bandwagon.

Just stating that France aren't perfect, granted they're more footballers than actors, unlike Portugal, but I couldn't honestly care if they dive, it's becoming part of football, sadly, and they're good at it, so I could care less.

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

You should.

We need one of those hooligans from Eurotrip to go shank a Portuguese player and scream "IN THE NAME OF DIVING" as he does it. That'll stop people from diving.

:shifty:

What a freakin' match! Really tense. Either way it went, the winning team deserved it - although neither side deserved to lose either, but that's life.

Would've preferred Germany to go on and win the thing - 'cause at least then Argentina went out to the eventual winners - but Italy's good too. Now they have to go on and blow France/Portugal the fuck away :D

A good game between Italy and Germany...it didn't strike me as a classic as much as it just did a well-played (and well-ref'd) game. That's what I want to see in a 0-0 game going to overtime, wide-open football where the zebras are just letting them go. I just wish the players would've realized that sooner and stopped begging for calls as they left their team a man down momentarily.

As it stands, my support also shifts to France, if only to see Zidane hold the Cup in his last go at it. The scandal in Italy causes me to really turn off from them and Portugal's style really does come across as reliant on the referees.

I don't know if Italy and Portugal have done battle in a World Cup Final (research on ESPN's Soccernet shows nothing as far back as '38, although there aren't any results for the '50 Cup in Brazil.) If history is any indication as to France/Italy, though, France has the upper hand (beat them in '98 and '86, lost in '38.) So at least France/Italy has some history to it.

Portugal's best was 3rd back in 1966.

I have no particular reason to hate on the French, but somehow I do. For some reason, I like the Portuguese ... even though they are a bunch of cheats and divers. Maybe it's because we got more Portchops than true Frenchies (not Quebecois) round my way, therefore better party in the streets.

As much as I'm not particularly a fan of the Italians, I was happy to see del Piero in top form today. He was fucking brilliant in his day, and maybe we'll see more of this carrying into next year, even if Juve gets dropped from Serie A.

How fucking crazy is it that two weeks ago we were all slagging off on the French and now they're (most of) our last hope for a decent team winning the whole thing?

Italy just proved otherwise pal (Y)

No, my statement still stands.

Guest muddatrucker

Scoring in injury time is only some breathtaking moment if you're losing and then get the win, otherwise its just standard.

I have respect for Italy. They didn't dive or cheat yesterday, the only thing they did was play a great game. Defensively they are the best team in the world today, nobody can get past those rocks. Everybody always slags Italy off for being to defensive, well they were way more offensive than Germany and truely deserved a win here. I wouldn't mind seeing Italy win the WC now, because they just play great football.

I have respect for Italy. They didn't dive or cheat yesterday, the only thing they did was play a great game. Defensively they are the best team in the world today, nobody can get past those rocks. Everybody always slags Italy off for being to defensive, well they were way more offensive than Germany and truely deserved a win here. I wouldn't mind seeing Italy win the WC now, because they just play great football.