World Cup 2006

Dan

Been watching some videos on youtube to get hyped up, and The start to Three Lions 98 still makes me feel like crying ten years later.

(Y)

Three Lions 98 starts with the commentary of Gareth Southgate missing his penalty in the semi-final of Euro 96.

It wasn't exactly hard to figure out what he meant.....

Ah, good point I had forgotten about that.

Sorry.

I was disappointed after the opening game, and I moaned on here. But I think a lot of people did that because they were worried about what we would be like when we played the bigger teams. But the truth of it is, you just have to wait and see. Last season Arsenal were shite away from home in the Premiership, but beat Real Madrid away from home 1-0. We couldn't string run of results together in the first half of the season, but only lost one game in the Champions League (the final) and only conceeded four goals in the competition (again, two being in the final).

At least England showed against Trinidad and Tobago that we can keep playing for the full 90 minutes, and where T&T tired and maybe had mentally settled for the draw, England went on and scored (albeit by Crouch being a cheating bastard) and then as the T&T's heads dropped, secured the win with a belter from Gerrard. Ok, so our defence was questionable against Sweden, conceeding two goals that we probably shouldn't have done if our defence had been more on form, but we still did enough to get the result we needed to finish top of the group.

During the domestic season, whether it's in the league, or the Champions League, we hear pundits saying that the true measure of a good team, of a championship-worthy team, is having the ablity to play badly and still get the results they need. How many people would trade positions with Spain, Holland, or Argentina, who have scored goal after goal, and played some pretty decent, if not great football at times, but are already out of the tournament?

Sometimes you have to grind out results. Yes, it's nice for England to hammer every team that they face, but we don't have the attacking flair of the Brazilians when they are on form. We are England. We play the English way. Sometimes we make it hard for ourselves and sometimes maybe we should score more goals, but if the results are coming in England's favour then where's the real problem? If we were playing in a league system, we'd have 3 wins and a draw from our first 4 games, including a match against our bogey team and that's damn good form in anyone's book.

So for those fans, whether here or not, who say England are playing badly, we've made it further than the Dutch, the Spanish, the Czechs, the Mexicans, the Swedes, and after today, if eveything goes to plan, you can add the Portuguese, Argentinians, and one of the Brazilians and French to that list. And that in enough is a hell of an achievement.

I don't really get why anyone would say they'd rather win by being terrible, than lose by being great. Lets say you do win the World Cup, but would you still feel as proud if it was in that match that Crouch cheated to score the goal? How could that possibly still mean as much? :\

I'd quite like to see England make it to the finals at least, but the thing that bothers me is that some people refuse to believe England might not win. If someone brought up the fact that they've been playing badly, and they have, we're branded racists, with inferiority complexes (Of course this is going off the Scotland/England shit we deal with). I have no problem with an England win in the finals if they actually play some amazing football, as it is after all supposed to be the pinnacle of the game, but people still say you 'deserve' to win when you've pretty much shown nothing impressive so far. Thats the mentality that bugs me, but if your team puts on a good game against Portugal, or France/Brazil/whoever then I'll happily back them for the win.

But until then, it ISN'T a crime to say England are playing badly :\

And Arsenals post was as if to rub in it the face of those who said it, "oh we might play bad but we're in the quarterfinals and so and so aren't"

I was disappointed after the opening game, and I moaned on here. But I think a lot of people did that because they were worried about what we would be like when we played the bigger teams. But the truth of it is, you just have to wait and see. Last season Arsenal were shite away from home in the Premiership, but beat Real Madrid away from home 1-0. We couldn't string run of results together in the first half of the season, but only lost one game in the Champions League (the final) and only conceeded four goals in the competition (again, two being in the final).

At least England showed against Trinidad and Tobago that we can keep playing for the full 90 minutes, and where T&T tired and maybe had mentally settled for the draw, England went on and scored (albeit by Crouch being a cheating bastard) and then as the T&T's heads dropped, secured the win with a belter from Gerrard. Ok, so our defence was questionable against Sweden, conceeding two goals that we probably shouldn't have done if our defence had been more on form, but we still did enough to get the result we needed to finish top of the group.

During the domestic season, whether it's in the league, or the Champions League, we hear pundits saying that the true measure of a good team, of a championship-worthy team, is having the ablity to play badly and still get the results they need. How many people would trade positions with Spain, Holland, or Argentina, who have scored goal after goal, and played some pretty decent, if not great football at times, but are already out of the tournament?

Sometimes you have to grind out results. Yes, it's nice for England to hammer every team that they face, but we don't have the attacking flair of the Brazilians when they are on form. We are England. We play the English way. Sometimes we make it hard for ourselves and sometimes maybe we should score more goals, but if the results are coming in England's favour then where's the real problem? If we were playing in a league system, we'd have 3 wins and a draw from our first 4 games, including a match against our bogey team and that's damn good form in anyone's book.

So for those fans, whether here or not, who say England are playing badly, we've made it further than the Dutch, the Spanish, the Czechs, the Mexicans, the Swedes, and after today, if eveything goes to plan, you can add the Portuguese, Argentinians, and one of the Brazilians and French to that list. And that in enough is a hell of an achievement.

I don't really get why anyone would say they'd rather win by being terrible, than lose by being great. Lets say you do win the World Cup, but would you still feel as proud if it was in that match that Crouch cheated to score the goal? How could that possibly still mean as much? :\

I'd quite like to see England make it to the finals at least, but the thing that bothers me is that some people refuse to believe England might not win. If someone brought up the fact that they've been playing badly, and they have, we're branded racists, with inferiority complexes (Of course this is going off the Scotland/England shit we deal with). I have no problem with an England win in the finals if they actually play some amazing football, as it is after all supposed to be the pinnacle of the game, but people still say you 'deserve' to win when you've pretty much shown nothing impressive so far. Thats the mentality that bugs me, but if your team puts on a good game against Portugal, or France/Brazil/whoever then I'll happily back them for the win.

But until then, it ISN'T a crime to say England are playing badly :\