World Cup 2006

Dan

if I told half the Aussie fans before the match that they'd lose 1-0 to Italy, they'd be comfortable with it. (I mean, they'd be upset about losing, but 1-0 is respectable.)

I'm not that fussed we lost. I am fucking glad we are getting shot of Hiddink though. He seemed very late pulling the trigger on bringing in our better scorers all tourney. I would have started Kennedy and had Viduka on the bench if he wanted only one striker or I would have started them as a tandem if he wanted two strikers. Viduka did fuck all all tourney. He'd better bloody retire, did he even take a single shot in any game? Talk about fucking goal shy.

Beyond that I'm man enough to admit that the red was 50/50. Guus was defending a draw rather than going for the kill, serves him fucking right that Italy scored. If he had of done the right thing and brought out some attacking players perhaps the penalty wouldn't have mattered.

At the end of the day I'm pleased we got this far. But outside of the fitness regime, I can't really see what Hiddink actually did to justify all the praise he gets.

I'd take the assistant coach. Hiddink's training regime seemed to pay off big time. Main problem was that he always seemed 10-15 minutes slow in putting on the scorers. I think anyone could coach Australia without too much difference, the main problem will be retiring players. Although in Viduka's case it will be a fucking blessing.

That Swiss-Ukranian match was pretty bad. After watching that, I was tempted to just fall asleep. Well, that and I also have been awake for 35 of the last 36 hours now.

Go Brasil ... beat them Ghanananans

Edited by Lowerdeck

Three random questions

Has a team ever won the world cup after badly losing the first match in the group stages? Italy '82

Has a team ever been kicked out of the group knockout stages without conceding a goal? The Swiss

What's the longest a penalty shoot out has gone on in any knockout stage game? 12-11

O'Neill sounds right. Apparently he coached some Championship teams a couple of years back and got them in good positions before leaving to improve other teams.

O'Neill sounds right. Apparently he coached some Championship teams a couple of years back and got them in good positions before leaving to improve other teams.

Does this mystery man have a name?

I assume they mean Martin O'Niell.

Former Leicester City and Glasgow Celtic manager, and was one of the favourites for the England job recently.

Martin O'Niell wouldnt be a bad Aussie coach as it happens. He is very assertive and quite succesful especially with Celtic.

That was the most embarrassing game of soccer I've ever seen.

Granted, it was the second one I've seen, but still.

Switzerland was terrible on the PKs; I could've buried one, shit. First try, kick to the keeper. Second try, off the crossbar but WIDE OPEN up top anyway; so the third try, you...kick to the keeper again. Seriously, top of the net's wide open, why do they never shoot there?

I love it when Americans who know little about football try and talk about it, lol.