Major League Baseball

Toe

Being a Cardinals fan, it's great to see a championship. Ask almost anyone and they'll tell you that the Cardinals have the best fans in baseball, so that's even better.

And Lowerdeck, just because a team with 125-200 million dollar payroll didn't win shouldn't take away from who won. Sure, more people would've cared if it was your Red Sox or Yankees, but since you're Red Sox couldn't even make the postseason and the Yankees were out in the first round, it's been clear that the World Series was going to be more of a regional matter.

I'm happy that there is variety. I'm tired of the World Series having the Yankees every year. I wouldn't even want the Red Sox in it every year. That just sucks. I'm tired of baseball bitching about ratings too, or else we're gonna get Cards vs. Yanks in the World Series every year.

I'm also tired of these "baseball fans" that stop watching when their team gets eliminated. I'm in Yankeeland and many people are like ... fuck this, I don't care. Yeah, just because the Yanks aren't in the Series for the 41st fucking time doesn't mean baseball ends. Show some support for the damn sport.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the World Series over here in London more than most of my friends did back home where it's actually televised.

That's just sad. It's the Fall Classic, and this year we didn't have a great one filled with excitement. But we haven't since 2002. 2004 was a horrible World Series (totally lopsided) and everyone still tuned in.

Edited by damshow

I think thats somewhat baseball's fault.

Football and baseball have created characters, have created team brands. However in baseball they have really ran it like its 30 different companies in teh "every team for itself" attitude.

NFL and NBA have taken an interest in creating personalities, creating brands. Nobody watches MLB to see Derek Jeter, Pujols, Beltran, Bonds or any other player.

On top of that people know very little about the teams. How many fans know that the Cardinals are the second winningest team in MLB history. Or that the A's and the Dodgers are right up there with the Cards and Yanks in championships.

When it comes down to it starting in 03 when the Yanks and Sox met in the ALCS basebally started HEAVILY promoting the hatred these two towns have for each other. They had this great story they played to the fullest between the two and it made an entire nation pay attention to the Red Sox.

They used the Yankee's to make people care about the Red Sox again. Then in 04 like something out of a wrestling promotion the Sox battled back from unthinkable odds to defeat the overpowering, evil Yankee's and win the championship.

However I didn't hear ANY hype for the Chi Sox and it being 80 plus years for them without a championship much like it was for Boston. I didn't hear about Houston being around for 40 years and making it to their first World Championship. I'm sure it was mentioned but it was promoted, pushed, and shoved down our throats like the two years prior with Sox/Yanks

In short I love baseball just as much as I do fooball and basketball. However they have marketed their teams and players so poorly to the point where no one cares. It seems like baseball hasn't had a "face" since McGwire stopped using steroids at the turn of the century.

Looking back at the ratings they set an all time low in 2002, then in 2005 they broke that, and then I think this year they broke that. So its just not that people don't care about Detroit/St. Louis, they just don't care about teams that aren't Yankees and Red Sox, and thats not a testament to those teams as much as its just sad promoting and marketing on MLB's behalf.

Regular season and post season are two different beasts. You might win 168 games, but in a short series you can be knocked out in an instant. Two different team make-ups, that made for an alright series. W-L records don't matter in the playoff's if they did playoffs wouldn't exsist. It's one thing that makes playoff races fun to watch. Can this, subpar regular season team put it all together and knock off another and win the championship? In this case yes. Reason for low ratings has to do with both teams being mid-west. Dream match-ups would be for a NY team to meet a LA team everyyear because it's two of the biggest markets. However, congrads to the STL for the championship in that.... OH SO lopsided series... :shifty:

• 3 weeks later...

Jays near deal for Frank Thomas:

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Sources: Blue Jays closing in on deal with Thomas

By Jerry Crasnick

ESPN.com

Frank Thomas

Thomas

NAPLES, Fla. -- The Toronto Blue Jays are closing in on a deal with free agent designated hitter Frank Thomas, two sources at the general managers' meetings told ESPN.com.

While it's uncertain whether Thomas' deal is for three years or two with an option, a source said the total value could exceed $30 million.

The agreement is contingent upon Thomas passing a physical exam.

Thomas, 38, batted .270 with 39 homers and 114 RBI last season for the Oakland Athletics. The Texas Rangers had also made a serious push to sign him.

Thomas, a two-time American League MVP with the Chicago White Sox, played for a base salary of $500,000 this season, plus $2.6 million in incentives, after coming back from an ankle injury. Oakland made a two-year offer to Thomas before the season ended.

A's assistant GM David Forst, the team's representative at the meetings, declined to comment on the Blue Jays' pursuit of Thomas.

Thomas would represent a significant power upgrade at the DH position for Toronto. Shea Hillenbrand, Frank Catalanotto, Eric Hinske, Gregg Zaun and Bengie Molina assumed the bulk of the at-bats at the position last year, and the Blue Jays finished tied for 12th among American League clubs with only 16 home runs out of the designated hitter spot.

Thomas finished last season with 487 career homers. Barring injury, he will become the 21st player to join baseball's 500 home run club early next season.

Jerry Crasnick covers Major League Baseball for ESPN Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Soriano is getting 8 years, 136 million from the Cubs...absolutely ridiculous deal, he is 31 already, he will be a liability after the first 3-4 years

Yeah, but the thing is that he was THE name out on the market this winter. You had to overpay to get him to come. The Cubs weren't the only ones dumb enough to offer him this much for this long, they just offered him a little more and maybe another year. Sure the deal is going to not look as good in 3-4 years, but the fact is that they had to do this to get him to come to Chicago. And doing that helps them in becoming contenders again, and if they get that World Series out of this deal, then nobody will criticize.

They had a short article in the paper the other day about the A's looking for a replacement for Frank Thomas. It said they considered going after Barry Bonds, but decided not to. Bonds wants to stay with the Giants to finish his career. I'm betting the main reason the A's didn't go after him is because it would be a big risk - there's still a chance he could be indicted for lying about using performance enhancing drugs to the grand jury. (Won't ever happen, because Hell will likely freeze over before his trainer ever decides to talk instead of going to jail every time, and I don't see them getting enough evidence either way)

As for the Cubs...I agree with the previous posters. The Cubs' problems are a lack of any real plan that has any chance of getting them to the World Series (curse, my ass. the only curse they've had is bad ownership for decades) and lack of pitching. Soriano may put some butts in seats, but he is NOT worth 136 million over 8 years, and I can easily see him being traded a few years down the road, if they can find a team that can afford to take him.

I should probably check and see if the Reds have had any interesting signings, seeing as how they're my favorite team (Cubs are second).

Edited by GhostMachine

The Jays signing Thomas may not be a good move financially, but it makes a scary batting order look even more frightening and deep. Thomas is one of the most patient hitters in baseball and has a knack for getting on base. The big problem is pitching, but the market for good pitchers is not too deep, as seen by the Red Soxs spending a fortune just to talk to that Japanese pitcher.

Astros sign Lee to six-year, $100 million deal

ESPN.com news services

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros, the NL's worst-hitting team, signed outfielder Carlos Lee and right-hander Woody Williams on Friday, bolstering its offense and a pitching staff that could be without Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte.

Lee, a two-time All-Star left fielder who played with Texas and Milwaukee last season, signed a six-year, $100 million deal after his fifth straight season with at least 30 home runs and 99 RBI.

A source told ESPN's Jayson Stark the only significant non-monetary clause in the contract is that Lee will have a complete no-trade clause for the first four years of the contract and a limited no-trade for the final two years.

Williams, who grew up in Houston and was a college star there, is a 14-year veteran who was 12-5 with a 3.65 ERA last season, his best ERA since 2002 with St. Louis.

The Astros were one of several teams bidding for Lee, joining the Philadelphia Phillies, who failed to land Alfonso Soriano; Baltimore Orioles, who Stark previously reported had made serious overtures to Lee; and San Francisco Giants.

Adding Lee will give the Astros another power threat besides All-Star first baseman Lance Berkman, who had 45 home runs and 136 RBI and finished third in NL MVP voting behind Philadelphia's Ryan Howard and St. Louis' Albert Pujols.

Houston was last in the NL in batting average at .255 and languished out of the pennant race until a late-season run that almost overtook World Series champion St. Louis.

Lee hit 28 homers in 102 games for the Brewers before the Rangers picked him up a few days before the July trade deadline. His power numbers dipped after that, but he finished with combined totals of 37 home runs and 116 RBI. He hit .300, including .322 in 59 games with the Rangers.

Williams, who grew up in Houston and was a college star there, is a 14-year veteran who was 12-5 with a 3.65 ERA last season with San Diego, his best ERA since 2002 with St. Louis.

Williams is 124-101 with a 4.09 ERA in 391 career games, including 299 starts.

The Astros' staff is anchored by right-hander Roy Oswalt, who signed a five-year, $73 million contract in August. Both Clemens and Pettitte are free agents and haven't said whether or where they want to play next year.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

The majority of the contracts given to free agents this offseason have been way over the top. At least this one is fulfilling a need as Houston couldn't get a big RBI by anybody but Berkman last season. I still can't see though how Gary Matthews Jr. got 50 mil over 5 years for one and only one good season. This has Adrian Beltre written all over it with the addition that Matthews is 32 getting that money where Beltre was I think 25 or 26.
Edited by GhostMachine

• 2 weeks later...