Bands that got better?

Liam

Although they did peak with BloodSugarSexMagik in my eyes, which was kinda at thier midway point.

Marry me. :shifty:

I agree with the RHCP and Volta nominations. Broken Social Scene have also gotten a lot better, in my opinion. I also think The Blood Brothers, Minus The Bear and Pearl Jam have improved over time. Some with Coheed and Incubus.

Ok, I will :shifty:

BUT....I don't think Pearl Jam have gotten better over time. Thier earlier stuff was better to me, although thier new stuff is still pretty sweet. I'm just a big fan of the first 3 albums.

But I agree with Coheed and Cambria, I much prefer thier 3rd album to any of the others I've heard.

Brand New Sin keeps getting better with each record.

Iced Earth too, they went from a decent metal band to a great metal band once Matt Barlow joined the band.

I think Anthrax is better in their last few records then they ever were. Again I attribute that to getting John Bush on board to sing, but I think their last few records have been awesome.

I agree that Sum-41 gets better with each album too.

I definately agree that RHCP peaked with BSSM, but I prefer their older stuff to anything after that.

Agreed. One Hot Minute isn't great, but I feel it is highly underrated. Anything after that didn't do a damn thing for me. Californication and By The Way are two of the most overplayed and overrated albums of the last ten years.

Pearl Jam have improved over time.

I don't understand how anyone could say that No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Riot Act are an improvement over Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy. On the first three albums, you have the defining Pearl Jam songs: Corduroy, Better Man, Not for You, Animal, Daughter, Dissident, Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Glorified G, Once, Jeremy, Even Flow, Alive, Black, Why Go, Black, etc etc etc. From No Code and onward, Pearl Jam just went from kickass alt-rock band to whatever the fuck it is they've been doing. I just don't get how you can say the definitive early 90s band actually got better as time went on. Sure, it's your opinion to have, but please explain that one to me.

I kinda don't get people saying The Mars Volta. Isn't this topic supposed to be about bands that were horrible at the beginning, then went from that to awesome?

I mean, sure, I guess people may have hated Tremulant or De-Loused, but those two albums were magnificent in my eyes. Volta, in my opinion, started extremely well and are only getting better.

EDIT: Their live show around 2001, however, was less than magnificent. I have their first show on bootleg, and it's horrible.

Edited by The Man They Call Tristy

Although they did peak with BloodSugarSexMagik in my eyes, which was kinda at thier midway point.

Marry me. :shifty:

I agree with the RHCP and Volta nominations. Broken Social Scene have also gotten a lot better, in my opinion. I also think The Blood Brothers, Minus The Bear and Pearl Jam have improved over time. Some with Coheed and Incubus.

My favorite Broken Social Scene is "You Forgot it In People" and that came out in 2002. Though they haven't gotten worse by any means, I wouldn't say they've gotten any better. They have always ruled though.

But, their self-titled is definitely their second best album.

I mean, sure, I guess people may have hated Tremulant or De-Loused, but those two albums were magnificent in my eyes. Volta, in my opinion, started extremely well and are only getting better.

No, the topic was supposed to be bands who started off good/bad/whatever, but have just continued to get better. So Mars Volta could fit in here if someone believed that.

And Zero, though I don't agree with Pearl Jam getting better over time, I know enough people who beleive that. It's the more experimental nature of the stuff that they then released that people preferred I guess over the straight-up "grunge" of the earlier albums. It's similar to how I see a lot of people view Radiohead...OK Computer and The Bends are thier two "most pimped" albums, but I know a lot of people who preferred thier more experimentative later stuff, which ostracized a lot of the fan base at the same time.

Guest The Trooper

Has anyone mentioned NoFX yet?

Their first album was completely shite yet they have slowly got better over time, especially when they progressed with their ska element to make more than just a punk song with some backing trumpet.

You wouldn't think that a band that played such a shite covere of Iron Man could break out and produce some great (yet still pretty simple) songs that just scream drunk-punk!

That and the fact they created a musical and social masterpiece with The Decline

After listening to the new Atreyu album, I can definitely say that they've improved quite a bit since their first album. The new album, while still Atreyu is different. There are less and less clean vocals and the riffs are heavier.