Music remixes / versions that are at least as good, if not better than the original!

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Cover's

Take On Me - Reel Big Fish (A-Ha cover)

Girl, You Really Got Me - Van Halen (The Kinks cover)

Hounds Of Love - Futureheads (Kate Bush Cover - one of the few covers which is 'head and shoulders better than the original')

Have A Cigar - Primus (Pink Floyd cover)

Bark At The Moon - Strung Out (Ozzy Osbourne cover)

Love Rollercoaster - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Fuck knows who did it originally...I heard it once though)

Red Red Wine - UB40 (Neil Diamon cover)

Hollywood Swinging - Jamiroquai (Kool & The Gang Cover)

The Metro - Alkaline Trio (Berlin cover...SOAD are meant to have covered this too, never heard it. Alk3's is class though)

There's probably more but I can't think of them.

Oh and just to second something CSAMH said

Muse's version of Nina Simone's "Feeling Good".

The lass has a haunting voice but Matt Bellamy and Muse blow it away in my opinion

Edited by YI

COVERS:

Guns 'N' Roses "Sympathy for the Devil" originally by the Rolling Stones.

REMIXES:

I'm not sure who mixed it, but I have this cool version of "Send Me An Angel" by Real Life that starts off with the sound of said angel, then goes right into the chorus, then right into the song. Pretty good.

Love Rollercoaster - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Fuck knows who did it originally...I heard it once though)

That would be the Ohio Players.

Edited by El Mickerino

Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder's cover of The Times They Are A-Changin' is really good.

Gary Juleseses version of Mad World

Jane's Addiction's Sympathy for the Devil, even though they mess up the lyrics.

Rachel Kelly's version of (Ain't Gonna Let Nobody) Turn Me Around (the ad was just on, made me think og it)

Hendrix's ...Watchtower

The Clash's I Fought The Law and Police and Thieves

RATM's Renegades of Funk

The Fugees' cover of Killing Me Softly

The White Stripes's covers of One More Cup of Coffee and I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself

The Vines' cover of Ms Jackson

Joss Stone's Fell in Love With a Boy

Scissor Sisters' cover of Comfortably Numb

Nouvelle Vague's Just Can't Get Enough, Guns of Brixton and Teenage Kicks

Both Nouvelle Vague and Sugarcult's covers of I Melt With You

DJ Teh Cheat's remix of Not Talkin' 'bout Butter :shifty:

Feeder's remix of The Police's "Can't Stand Losing You".

The Police were a great group, but this remix is still better than the original...

It's a cover, not a remix. And it's good, but it's not a patch on the original, The Police were fucking awesome. There's a tribute album called Policia where a bunch of emo-type bands cover Police songs. Watashi Wa do an excellent version of Message in a Bottle, and Fall Out Boy did a fantastic job with Roxanne, it's seriously one of the best covers I've heard.

Fall Out Boy also did a nifty acoustic cover of Joy division's Love Will Tear Us Apart.

I also really liked Lostprophet's version of Cry Me A River, although their cover of Sweet Dreams My LA Ex was rubbish.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm sure someone (Liam?) had one of these topics before.

I think I may have had one, but I'm not sure....though I do like being assumed to starting a lot of music discussion :shifty:

The Fall Out Boy JD cover I heard I swear wasn't acoustic, but I can't remember. It was pretty solid though, and surprisingly good. I generally feel that JD, The Smiths and Depeche Mode covers aren't very good, so FOB surprised me (although The Cure also did a great cover of the same song, and World In My Eyes)

I hate remixes...I dunno why...but I love covers!

I'll also go with what Tristy said, and list covers I like irrelative of whether they better the original, as they are realistically seperate songs.

In Flames - Everything Counts

Mnemic - Wild Boys

(I like 80's pop songs covered by metal bands :shifty:)

Muse - Feeling Good

Katatonia - Nightmares By The Sea

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Nouvelle Vague, Richard Cheese and Paul Anka covers are all good, generally.

Nirvana - Man Who Sold The World

Nirvana - Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam

Nirvana - the Meat Puppet covers

David Gray - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

I can't think of anymore, but I've been drinking....may edit choices.

Edited by rvdwannabe

And as whoever said it (Ze? JTE?), when a cover replaces the original in a lot of people's eyes, that's impressive.

I feel sorry for John Denver in that way (as I like him) with him never really being associated with Leaving On A Jetplane (as far as I've seen, anyway).

• Admin

For me...

Muse - Feeling Good

David Gray - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

Neil Finn - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (I know Liam disagrees, but :P)

Kasey Chambers - Better Be Home Soon

Mike Flowers - Don't Cry For Me Argentina (What? :shifty:)

Travis - Hit Me Baby One More Time

Edited by Rabid Wolverine

Liam, I've not heard the non-acoustic FOB version of Love Will Tear Us Apart, you need to send me that.

I'm not 100% sure if I still have it, but I'll have a look for you. At least I believe it wasn't acoustic, I haven't heard it in a small while.