Day of Reckoning

Guest *Doink*

Guest *Doink*

I've had a PS2 for years now, and enjoy the Smackdown games very much, but I've always thought the story modes were a bit, how can I say it, shitty. They just seemed to be a random series of matches, wth no logic and no real regard for face/heel allignments.

I've just purchased a cheap Gamecube from Ebay, and have been looking at Day of Reckoning and Day of Reckoning 2. It sounds like something I could dig, but I want to know if the storylines are decent, like is it cohesive and is it the way that the reviews of the game make it sound (i.e continuous, fluid and logical).

So yeah, any opinions would be great.

The storylines for Day of Reckoning one are absolutely terrible. DoR2 is better, but didn't hold my attention.

That said, DoR2 is the better game, but probably not 200% better. I'd get the cheaper DoR, see how you feel, and if you like the first, buy the second.

Guest Anti-Hero

All I can say is don't buy the game for the storylines. The story mode is for CAWs only, and is very linear with few options to branch out. That being said, I'd rate the actual stories in story mode as being better than Smackdown's. Solid gameplay though.

We traded in DoR and SvsR to get DoR2 last month and I just traded it in at EB for credit.

If you were to get one it depends on your situation (I'm assuming you'll mainly be playing single player since that's a concern of yours). DoR 2 can be one of the cheapest games to play against the computer. Anything with more than 1 opponent can and will be a handicap match. And with the move interuption gameplay feature, any time you go for a move that takes even a couple seconds to execute you'll get a punch from another computer stopping it and leaving you on the mat to be teamed up on. At first (especially in the first game) it was an awesome feature that I loved, but time made it sour to me. Too many moves being stopped by a stupid punch. Most of my matches turned into systematically taking them all out, which can be a bitch on Expert.

DoR storyline is shit, with a fair amount of storylines taken from actual programming. And DoR 2's storyline is shit, based off shit. However it is more cohesive and sensible in a way. However watching my big brutish and ugly monster heel flirt with Stacy Keibler and save they day kind of bugged me. Super linear.

The presentation is nicer, graphics are a bit better and the submission system is only moderately tweaked with the inclusion of the stamina system (blood is negligible really). Also if you like creating wrestlers (you could just stick with their templates though) you can expect to waste a lot of time. And not in a good way. Depending on what you're doing loading can take from 2-15 seconds with 5 or so being the average. May not seem like a lot at first but when you are adjusting shades of a colour it's a bitch.

Since you just got a Cube though, stick with DoR. It's cheap now and isn't that drastically different from the second game. Very little loading in CAW and the AI isn't as cheap. You may or may not like the story as much. Graphics and presentation (along with Legend selection) are better in the 2nd.

Edited by Vilge Duin