Football Manager 2006

lazy_arse

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Halfway through my second season in the Conference National with Cambridge City and we're sat in 12th place. Got off to a strong start and were in the mix for the playoff spots, but a run of 5 losses (3 of which were lost a goal scored in the last 3 minutes or so) sent us down into 17th. Form's picked up a bit though (and drew away with Weymouth, the bastards).

Discovered a right midfielder I signed at the end of last season isn't as bad as I thought now I'm playing him as a striker, with 7 goals in 11 starts up front. I'm trying to offload my other 'star striker' though, he's worth £250,000 and is one of the club's most favoured personnel but he's been crap this season. 4 goals in 21 games (by this stage he had around 14 last season) with an average rating of 6.71. Currently on his third injury of the season as well, hopefully I can sell him to a League 1 or 2 club and raise a shitload of cash.

Money wise we're ok though, making a profit each month (with £147,000 in the bank :w00t:). Mostly thanks to a 2nd round FA Cup tie with Southampton at home (they're in League 1 now but still, almost 3000 fans turned up which is our highest attendance ever).

Hopefully I can finish mid-table this season, continue to replace players that aren't performing with players that should, as my scout's actually started to find some good players - the last three he's recommended are now by three best players, av. rating wise. He's got an unusual fetish for central midfielders though, and seems unable to find anyone who can play on the left.

If you want a challenge I'd recommend Histon. Somehow they got promoted but after 28 games they've amassed a huge total of 6 points~! Nearest team to them has 25, part of me wants to take over (I keep getting the option to declare my interest in the job) and see if I can save them. I'm not stupid, though ¬_¬

San Marino are usually a good "no hoper" national team to manage, because while they're never a good side, they don't all completely suck. You've got players like Roberto and Andy Selva, Andrea Bacciochi, Andrea Domeniconi etc who are quite good, and a very good keeper in Matteo Gaudino. So you can at least challenge the middlish teams in your qualifying group.

And unlike most really shit teams, San Marino do get the odd quality regen, and existing players do get quite good.

My favourite game in ages was managing both San Marino's club side and their National side, so I could train most of the national side :P

The best I ever did was 3rd in World Cup qualification (miles behind England and Belgium, but ahead of Ukraine and the Czech's).

Edit: Oooh, this is the tightest final-day promotion battle I've seen in ages...

tablegt0.th.jpg

Annoyingly, this means that Ipswich or Pompey have to lose to allow me to get promoted automatically (I guess mathematically that's not true, I just need to win by one more goal than Ipswich do). I play Leicester (19th), Ipswich play QPR, Pompey play Bristol City (15th, and I beat them 5-0 two weeks ago...).

But still...one point seperates the top three. One GOAL seperates me and Ipswich...

Edit2: I can't believe Imageshack resized THAT. How lame are they?

Edited by TheReilDeal

I've started a new game as Portsmouth. I'm enjoying it so far, and the season hasn't started yet. I've brought in no fewer than seven new faces, and I'm looking to add two more.

Fabian Barthez - Heh, he was free, and I fancied my chances.

Matthew Upson - £4m - Needed a new central defender.

Legrottaglie - £1m - Needed a new face in my defence line.

Naybet - He's got experience.

Mario Melchiot - Needed a new right back.

Marlon King - £3.5m - I've took a big risk here.

Ze Roberto - Free, he'll fit in perfectly.

Chris Sutton - Again, he's experienced and the kind of player I was after. He was also free.

Basically I have around £6m left. I need a left back. Recommend me someone that I have a chance of getting, please.

I could snap up Mido for £4.2m, but that's another massive taking of my transfer budget.

They wanted £5m for Harte. I signed Rat for £6m instead. We've played four games. Beat by Manchester United 3-2, we beat Liverpool 3-1, beat by Everton 2-0 and drew with Chelsea 0-0.

All in all a good start.

Finished the season in 18th, which was disappointing. We were on course for mid-table right up until the end of the season, when I got a few injuries and suspensions before going on a five game losing streak.

Brought in 6 or 7 new players to replace the shit ones, although I couldn't find a buyer for my 'top' striker so I'm stuck with him until January at least. Hopefully he'll find his form again, but I doubt he will.

Finally got some proper, out and out wingers so I should now be able to counter all the narrow formations I come up against. Got some good frees from the Scottish and Welsh leagues, and have only spent £3,000 of my £17,000 transfer budget.

The board are cunts though, despite being in the best financial position we've ever been in (almost £200,000 in the bank, no loans outstanding and turning a profit almost every month) they've still chopped £1,200 of my wage budget from last season. It's the second season in a row they've cut it, making it extemely difficult to bring in players I know can do well in the Con. National - if my new signings don't do well we're fucked.

I've started a new game, with all English and Scottish leagues, and the top-flight league from:

France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Holland.

With the basic idea that I just let it run on holiday mode for ages, and do a season-by-season writup in the Cube. It's still got most of the people that signed up for Grass Roots in it too. So it should be fun :P

I've started a new game, with all English and Scottish leagues, and the top-flight league from:

France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Holland.

With the basic idea that I just let it run on holiday mode for ages, and do a season-by-season writup in the Cube. It's still got most of the people that signed up for Grass Roots in it too. So it should be fun :P

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

I've started my first season in the Premiership well. I beat Man United in the Community Shield on penalties, before drawing with Man U 1-1 at my ground, drawing with Spurs 1-1 at their ground, and then beating West Ham at home and Blackburn away, both 3-2.

Because I won the FA Cup last year while in the Championship, I'm in the UEFA Cup this season, and I've just got to the point where I have to register my 25 players. The rules say I ave to have three players who wwere trained by the club, but because I started with a crap academy and have gone from League One tp the Premiership in consecutive seasons, there's only one or two players left at the club who were in the League One side I inherited. The only way I can seem to enter a team is if I submit a 22 man squad, leaving the three "Trained Player" slots empty. Is there anyway around this?