Worst Music Genre names.

Dan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PRP is right....basically, the only people who use the "mall" terms are people who think they are special because what they listen to is tr00 (and in the terms of metal) kvlt and br00tal~! They are the worst kind of music fan, and the "mall" term used for any band is as bullshit at the moment as using "nu-metal" as a derrogatory term was the past few years.

Nu metal pisses me off. What's with the name?

The term "nu" is just stuck on anything usually newer, and generally inferior than the pioneering bands of a genre (Nu-grunge is a term I've heard used for bands such as Staind and Creed). Nu-metal was a convenient way to market loads of bands as a style of music, when they all realistically sounded a lot different than thier counterparts (so basically, it was a money talking decision). Nu-metal than just became the genre people stuck bands they didn't like in ("Oh, Mushroomhead are nu-metal, they aren't very good"), rather than what they sound like.

The latter part of the above is whats happening with mallcore, and even to a lesser degree,metalcore.

So you're saying "nu-metal" bands all sound different and completely original?

Hahahaha.

EDIT: I'll give you the "lumping all the bands you don't like into nu-metal" thing, that's true. But you cannot be saying that nu-metal bands for the most part sound different. I listen to modern rock radio and I can't tell half the bands apart.

Edited by SkinMySenses

EDIT: I'll give you the "lumping all the bands you don't like into nu-metal" thing, that's true. But you cannot be saying that nu-metal bands for the most part sound different. I listen to modern rock radio and I can't tell half the bands apart.

Edited by fineintent

Bands I've heard described, by people and press, as nu-metal - Slipknot, Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, 36 Crazyfists, System of a Down and Linkin Park. Modern rock radio bands, like Breaking Benjamin etc, isn't nu-metal - it's just, as you said, modern rock music catered for radio audiences.

Now in that group, you have the more original bands - Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, SOAD - who experiment with jazz timings, structure and key changes. Then you have a band like 36 Crazyfists who just rock fucking hard.

To be fair, apart from maybe wearing masks or make-up, most nu-metal bands have nothing in common. Until you got the third generation of them - bands who wanted to be Slipknot, who were influenced by Korn, if you follow me.

In genres like Thrash or Pop-Punk you have a characteristic sound, in nu-metal you never really had that. Listen to Mushroomhead for proof.

*high fives fineintent*

Yeah, my basic point was that there is no characteristic nu-metal sound, and if you said "oh, Limp Bizkit are a nu-metal band", then you can question how a lot of bands (Deftones, Mushroomhead, System Of A Down, etc) can be classified as Nu-metal, and vice versa. They aren't all original, but a lot of nu-metal bands just get lumped in as nu-metal seemingly for the sake of it.