The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

Regarding the Pronger situation, rumors are floating around that it's due to an illness in the family, and not that Pronger doesn't like the city. Of course, that wouldn't be the first time someone left here because of their wife (Gretz to a point, Mike York). Still, it kills me. I love seeing Pronger in Edmonton, one of my favorite players. Lowe does know what he's doing though, so I think we'll get a more than fair deal for him.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tanguay is a Flamer!

This off-season has already been huge, with Luongo moving to Vancouver. Now we have this, and I think that this move makes Calgary a favorite in the West again. Sure, losing Jordan Leopold hurts, but Calgary has some defensive depth and can pick someone up. Having Alex Tanguay is a move that gives the Flames someone who can just make Iginla's game so much better. Tanguay is a goal-scorer, and a very good one. The knock against the Flames was that they couldn't score. They could get the shutout, but they couldn't score. Now, they can.

With Tanguay I do agree the Flames are the team to beat in the West again. My thoughts pretty much echo what you said.

The new Ducks sweater is ugly. Stupid colors.

And I'm curious to see if the Buffalo owner, forget his name, actually puts money towards signing players. They could become the best team in the NHL if they sign a few guys, they have the cap room.

I actually posted that before I checked the site, and Raycroft is a good idea. BUT RASK?! Fuck off Maurice, Rask is a fucking terminator and should not have been traded.

Still we've got Justin Pogge.

I like the trade. Just Raycroft for Rask, a one for one deal. I know Tuuka Rask is a huge prospect, but Raycroft is young too.

Part of the reason Raycroft was bad last year was his team. The Bruins were just awful until the Thornton trade, they did improve by the end of the year. Raycroft is the solid starter I was hoping we would get. Well, I was thinking more of Giguere, but I bet he would have cost us more then just Tuuka Rask.

Fuck, can we just skip the summer? I am getting excited for next year already. We have locked down McCabe, we now have a #1 goaltender (fuck all the idiots who say Aubin should start), all we have to do is get a scorer for Sundin to feed and then lock down Matt Stajan (who I believe can be a very capable second line centre). I am totally happy with the moves so far by Ferguson, and can't wait to see who the Leafs target in the free agent market.

I want two things now for the Leafs. First, a defenceman. Any veteran who can play responsibly in his own end. Aki Berg, Wade Belak, Alexander Khavanov, even Luke Richardson to an extent, they all can be sloppy in there own end. If your not contributing offensively, you cannot be a complete fuck up in your end!

Secondly, a winger with scoring talent. Not someone like Sergei Berezin was, lazy as fuck. Not someone like Alexander Mogilny, injured half the time. Patrick Elias is someone who fits this bill. With the cap going up to $44 million, and knowing that the Maple Leafs will be able to spend right up to that, they have the ability to sign someone big.

The other thing I would like to see from the Leafs is to offer Jason Allison and Eric Lindros one year, $800 000 deals. Thats half of what they made last year. Allison was money on the powerplay, ended with 60 points in 66 games (I think), but his injury fucked us and he was a big liability even strength. Lindros also was a impact player at times. He wasn't as productive as I would have liked, but he provided leadership at times and was very physical as well. I don't think either of these guys are going to get offers from elsewhere.

EDIT - I wrote a lot there, eh?

I just checked on TSN. Raycroft, at 26, could easily be a rock for Toronto (if we give him the proper defence) for several years.

Edited by desiredtoe

He did. It was posted in this thread, I will look for it.

tsn.ca is reporting that Bryan McCabe re-signed with the Maple Leafs for pretty much 5 mil a year for 5 years
Edited by desiredtoe

Rask for Raycroft is a horrible deal. Justin Pogge is massively overrated; Rask has been playing with far tougher competition and doing better. He played for a worse team in the World Juniors and made it as far looking far more impressive. Raycroft had a shit year last year, but you're right, Boston did improve late in the season... with Raycroft in the press box and Tim Thomas starting.

The Minnesota and Calgary trades scream WTF. Not quite Chris Pronger to Edmonton WTF, but a bit more then Chris Pronger out of Edmonton WTF.

He did. It was posted in this thread, I will look for it.

tsn.ca is reporting that Bryan McCabe re-signed with the Maple Leafs for pretty much 5 mil a year for 5 years

You said that on May 31st. And I remember seeing it myself on TSN.ca and on TSN Sportscentre, and then changing my MSN name to match.

McCabe signing.

I found the link to the TSN report on McCabe signing.

Rask for Raycroft is a horrible deal. Justin Pogge is massively overrated; Rask has been playing with far tougher competition and doing better. He played for a worse team in the World Juniors and made it as far looking far more impressive. Raycroft had a shit year last year, but you're right, Boston did improve late in the season... with Raycroft in the press box and Tim Thomas starting.

The Minnesota and Calgary trades scream WTF. Not quite Chris Pronger to Edmonton WTF, but a bit more then Chris Pronger out of Edmonton WTF.

Why would the Wild want his contract? Gaborik and Demitra anybody?

I'm starting to think Pronger/Peca to Edmonton was somewhat of a conspiracy to show that small market teams can succeed in the new NHL, and land big players again. It's the NHL's way of screaming THE SYSTEM WORKS! Pronger and Peca came to the team that was the closest to shutting down before the new system, Bettman got what he wanted (small market teams to achieve more, a US team winning the cup), and now both Pronger and Peca are on their way out to most likely an Eastern Conference team. I know it's not like the final was rigged or anything, but aside from that, it just seems like it was set up that way.

The rumors at the draft were that the Wild picked up Demitra in an attempt to convince Gaborik to re-sign. Guess he got tired of being on a team that's perpetually rebuilding.

Also said that McCabe has a contract from Toronto, he just hasn't signed it yet.

I like the addition of Raycroft; who knows how Rask will do when he goes up to the NHL, and we traded a prospect for a guy that can go in net and start NOW should Belfour retire/not re-sign.