The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

Amen, prime time. They are a solid, fast-paced, good scoring team. They're still a bit shaky [by a bit I mean a lot] defensively, but their goaltending from Biron [and earlier on, Miller] has been stellar.

Does anyone watch other leagues, like the AHL, ECHL, CHL, UHL, OHL, WHL, or QMJHL?

I try and keep up to date with the Marlies in the AHL, but otherwise I don't really follow other leagues. I'll watch OHL games when they're on [which is rare], but otherwise I don't really get much.

How about you guys?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Grapehead

Used to be big on the AHL when we had the PEI Senators, but not so much anymore. I sometimes go see the PEI Rocket play, but they are, for the most part, brutal, so I save my money unless it's a big game(Rimouski, etc)

I'm new to Ice Hockey now. I don't have much clue about players but I like the New York Rangers with Jagr. Also I'm having Basha shove the Canadiens down my throat so there okay I guess.

But yeah, I'm getting NHL 06 just after Christmas but I don't get any Ice Hockey on television here :(

Guest Grapehead

I'm new to Ice Hockey now. I don't have much clue about players but I like the New York Rangers with Jagr. Also I'm having Basha shove the Canadiens down my throat so there okay I guess.

But yeah, I'm getting NHL 06 just after Christmas but I don't get any Ice Hockey on television here :(

ESPN.COM........

Updated: Dec. 15, 2005, 11:06 AM ET

Penguins fire Olczyk; Therrien takes overAssociated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Eddie Olczyk was fired Thursday as the coach of the fast-fading Pittsburgh Penguins following one of the most disappointing starts in franchise history and replaced by former Montreal Canadiens coach Michel Therrien.

Olczyk, a former team broadcaster and player who had no coaching experience at any level before being hired in 2003, was let go following a run of eight losses in nine games that dropped the Penguins' record to an Eastern Conference-worst 8-17-6.

Rumors about Olczyk's future with Pittsburgh intensified in the week leading up to his dismissal.

Only St. Louis (6-17-4) has fewer wins in the NHL, and general manager Craig Patrick decided to fire Olczyk after a string of dismally played losses in the last week.

Patrick said it became obvious during a 5-0 loss to Minnesota last Thursday that the players were tuning Olczyk out and no longer respected him, and the situation got only worse during losses to Detroit (3-1) on Monday and St. Louis (3-0) on Tuesday.

"The Minnesota loss was very disturbing -- the team had shown its face and for whatever reason they weren't listening," Patrick said.

But Patrick also faulted himself and the players, and he acknowledged the blend of newer players such as super prospect Sidney Crosby and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and old-line stars such as John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Sergei Gonchar, Ziggy Palffy and Jocelyn Thibault wasn't working. He promised more changes if there isn't a fast turnaround under Therrien.

"I can't say why," Patrick said when asked why the players didn't respond to Olczyk. "But we're going to find a solution."

The 39-year-old Olczyk is the first NHL coach to be fired since the league resumed play following a one-season labor impasse.

Therrien, who coached the Penguins' Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm club to a 21-1-2-1 record that represents the best start in AHL history, ran Penguins practice Thursday and will coach his first NHL game since the 2002-03 season Friday night against Buffalo. He was 77-77-13-13 as Montreal's coach from 2000-03.

The 42-year-old Therrien will bring a much more disciplined approach to a team that has been criticized for its lazy work habits and inability to stick to a system. He emphasizes controlling the puck and creating turnovers in the transition game, and doesn't hesitate to call out players when they're not performing.

"He's a no-nonsense guy and it's either his way or you don't play -- and from what I see, we definitely need that," Patrick said.

The Penguins were a league-worst 23-47-8-4 during Olczyk's first season as coach in 2003-04, including an 18-game losing streak. But the pressure on Olczyk to begin winning increased when the Penguins won the NHL draft lottery in July and chose Crosby, considered Canada's best prospect since Penguins owner-player Mario Lemieux.

But the Penguins got off to a terrible start by losing their first nine games. Lemieux also had another medical setback, being diagnosed last week with a heart disorder. Crosby has averaged a point a game but also has been slumping with only one goal in eight games.

"We look pretty on paper, but what are we? What are we?" Patrick said. "I don't know, but we're going to find out."

This is the fourth time Patrick has fired a coach during the season.

Therrien replaced Alain Vigneault as Montreal's coach on Nov. 20, 2000 but was fired and replaced by Claude Julien on Jan. 17, 2003.

Penguins assistant coaches Joe Mullen and Randy Hillier also were fired, as were goaltending coach Shane Clifford and strength coach John Welday. Therrien brought his Wilkes-Barre staff with him -- assistant Mike Yeo, strength coach Stephane Dube and goaltending consultant Gilles Lefebvre.

Guest Grapehead

Don't get too excited about Saturday's game Clawson, you have to remember, the Sens are most likely dissapointed with their overall run in the Western Conference, so they'll be looking to bounce back when they return to the East, and they just so happen to play your Leafs first.

Dallas didn't outplay Ottawa, they didn't even really keep up most of the game, but they did have one major thing going for them, and that was all the bounces. Ottawa couldn't catch a break, and really, when you're trailing at any point you just need something to go your way before you can get back in the game, and it just wasn't happening. Both of Dallas' goals pretty much bounced off the Senators, and were own goals in my opinion, there were no shots fired at Emery on either goal, so it was hardly a discredit to Emery, and the first one was travelling away from the net and hit Pothier(I believe) so... that's what I mean about Dallas getting the bounces. Big win for Dallas, toppling the best team in the league should always be a boost of confidence, and like I said, they had to take advantage of the injuries Ottawa has suffered.

The International Ice Hockey Federation has contacted the respective national federations, including Hockey Canada, to advise them of a new three-man taxi squad that will be permitted at the 2006 Winter Olympics.

This taxi squad can be named at anytime between now and 24 hours prior to the opening of the ice hockey events at the Olympics. But the three players designated on each country's taxi squad may only be used in the event of an injury that occurs during the Olympic Games.

Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson welcomed the expansion of the 23-man roster to 26 even though the taxi squad can only be used in emergency situations.

"Anything that gives us more flexibility is a good thing," Nicholson told TSN. "We will have to sit down as a group and decide how we're going to go about this."

Nicholson said he will be consulting with Team Canada executive director Wayne Gretzky to determine whether the three-man taxi squad will be named on December 21 in Vancouver, the same day Hockey Canada plans to announce the 23-man roster.

"Obviously, you will have to let the players (who will be on the taxi squad) know so to be ready and to understand what is involved," Nicholson said. "We're going to discuss how best to handle this."

According to the Olympic-IIHF rules, all teams must name a 23-man roster by no later than December 22. However, if any player on that 23-man roster were to be injured leading up to the Olympics and not a 100% for the tournament, the respective federations are permitted to name an injury replacement and that injury replacement only needed to be on the preliminary eligibility list that the federations submitted earlier this fall. Canada's preliminary list was 81 names long.

The IIHF in conjunction with the NHL and NHLPA, decided to allow for the three-man taxi squad to provide for additional flexibility in the event of an injury during the actual tournament in Turin.

Good news for bubble players Ryan Smyth, Brendan Morrison, and Rick Nash BITCH.

From my limited knowledge of Hockey since I've been a fan (since Monday) I have learned that the Canadiens can't hold a lead.

And that they are playing the Wild tonight in Minnesota and Koivu returns and will go against his brother~.

Fairy tale stuff there surely?

http://tsn.ca/columnists/jay_onrait.asp

It's not really hockey per say, but I fucking laughed. And laughed.

You know it's kind of funny because when I saw that picture I was thinking "he kind of looks like Liam Gallagher there". I guess I think along the same lines as Onrait.

Anyway, Elisha Cuthbert and Sean Avery. You know maybe I should become a racist asshole with minimal hockey skills. I'm already 1/3 of the way there.

Guest Grapehead

Wow, what a game, the Leafs played well through 2, but it just went downhill after that. All the penalties were on the ball in my opinion, there was a weak hooking call on Ottawa but I gave in because the stick WAS on the body so that's the call nowadays. The spear on Spezza was brutal, and totally ridiculous, BUT Spezza shouldn't have been on the ice with 3 1/2 minutes left up 7-2. Am I mistaken, or is the rule that if you instigate a fight in the last 5 minutes you get a suspension? What is that rule I'm thinking of? Then Wilm, who I thought was playing a great game, looked to be semi-picking a fight with Pothier, which I thought odd, then he just blatantly pulled his helmet off, I was disgusted, cause that's just dirty. I'm very offended when I see a dishonorable hockey fight, so Wilm lost all respect from me he gained from an otherwise solid game. Also, Smolinski played amazing, his assist on Fisher's goal was easily the best play of the game for me, he just fought hard for the puck, read the play, made a hard pass to Fisher, very great game for him.

The rule is if there is a fight in the last 5 minutes the instigator gets a suspension and the coach gets fined. There were three fights in the last five and only Spezza got an instigator and he is indeed suspended right now. This can be reviewed though by someone who's name escapes me. I don't think he will be suspended it is his first NHL fight (I think... and he showed he can fight pretty well) and it looked like Colaiacovo took advantage of Spezza at some point and Spezza isn't known to get angry so that is why the suspension might be called off.

***EDIT***: Brandon Bochenski, the filler for Martin Havlat who is out with a dislocated shoulder and will be getting surgery, has severely seperated his shoulder. So now Patrick Eaves (impressive young prospect from Binghamton who played for Boston College I believe) who wasn't sent back down to Binghamton will take the spot. If he gets a shoulder injury I would be worried for the next guy who gets called up.

Edited by CKN

Guest Grapehead

The rule is if there is a fight in the last 5 minutes the instigator gets a suspension and the coach gets fined. There were three fights in the last five and only Spezza got an instigator and he is indeed suspended right now. This can be reviewed though by someone who's name escapes me. I don't think he will be suspended it is his first NHL fight (I think... and he showed he can fight pretty well) and it looked like Colaiacovo took advantage of Spezza at some point and Spezza isn't known to get angry so that is why the suspension might be called off.

***EDIT***: Brandon Bochenski, the filler for Martin Havlat who is out with a dislocated shoulder and will be getting surgery, has severely seperated his shoulder. So now Patrick Eaves (impressive young prospect from Binghamton who played for Boston College I believe) who wasn't sent back down to Binghamton will take the spot. If he gets a shoulder injury I would be worried for the next guy who gets called up.

Spezza was retaliating, which as far as I know is still a penalty in the NHL, so wouldn't that make it more obvious that he would get the suspension. There was a penalty call on the way for the spear wasn't there? Either way, I'd say Spezza deserves the suspension, but then again you could say Colaiacovo started the fight with the stupid spear in the first place, so... it'll be interesting to see. Doesn't Colan/Colen/Something Campbell make the final ruling on suspensions?

Guest Grapehead

I see your point about it only being his first fight, but as someone who feels the most important thing in all the NHL discipline is consistancy, I think they need to enforcer their own rules. If you do make such easy exceptions, then you'll see more of the rule broken. I don't see him never losing his temper before as a reason NOT to suspend him, but more of a reason TO suspend him. You want guys in the NHL to keep their cool, to avoid another Todd Bertuzzi, so as soon as you see someone lose their cool for the first time, you enforce your rules. If you let Spezza get away with it now, then he'll make a second effort to keep himself under control next time something like that happens. Spezza is young, and new to the league, and I feel the suspension is needed to teach him a lesson about how the new NHL is going to be, instead of losing a chance to start conditioning the new generation of stars.

I watched the replay and I couldn't see this phantom spear. All I saw was two guys exchanging shoves and then Spezza start wailing on Coliacovo. I don't know how you guys can say he can "hold his own" in a fight, he went after a midget rookie who isn't really what I would consider cream of the enforcer crop, jumped him, and had leverage the whole time, which, by the way, wasn't very long. It's not like Coliflower is a Zdeno Chara type who can lay flat down on the ice and still punch guys in the face, he was hosed the minute he lost leverage and never had a chance. I can see Spezza getting suspended for it but it will be kept short, probably just one game.

Does anyone have footies of the fights? They seem hesitant to show any fights on clip shows if it escalates into anything at all.