The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So ya I just figured we can use this thread as our official hockey thread for this year.

Anyway I'm going to love the Leafs even more when Jeremy Williams, Wellwood, Steen, Stajan, Kronwall and hell maybe even Ondrus and Woshienski all get regular time.

So ya I just figured we can use this thread as our official hockey thread for this year.

Anyway I'm going to love the Leafs even more when Jeremy Williams, Wellwood, Steen, Stajan, Kronwall and hell maybe even Ondrus and Woshienski all get regular time.

The Polish Prince Mariusz Czerkawski better make the team. That is all.

I think with your lack of scoring at forward it's a pretty sure bet.

During a phone in with Bob McCown, Sean Burke says that letting in 6 goals in the new NHL is "okay" and that he "played well".

lol, oh Sean...

Anyway, do you think we're looking at 8-6 games as the norm now, or do you think it will drop back down to the 4-2 3-2 we should probably be happiest with?

During a phone in with Bob McCown, Sean Burke says that letting in 6 goals in the new NHL is "okay" and that he "played well".

lol, oh Sean...

Anyway, do you think we're looking at 8-6 games as the norm now, or do you think it will drop back down to the 4-2 3-2 we should probably be happiest with?

lol, oh Sean...

I think it will start off as the high scoring and then it will drop back mid to late season when teams have adjusted to the new style.

Guest NYJetFan86

lol, oh Sean...

I love seeing teams set up on the powerplay and move the puck around the boards. I love the grinding and hitting more then the finesse. So more goals or less doesn't matter, as long as players like Darcy Tucker get to work the puck along the boards and lay some guys out with nice checks.

I love seeing teams set up on the powerplay and move the puck around the boards. I love the grinding and hitting more then the finesse. So more goals or less doesn't matter, as long as players like Darcy Tucker get to work the puck along the boards and lay some guys out with nice checks.

...what?

Anyway, from that same conversation, McCown mentioned that an NHL goaltender (he couldn't say which one) was quoted as saying that a goaltender in the NHL could now put up a goals against average of 3 or even 3 and a half, and win the Vezina. That is very fucking scary, especially when you consider the last five Vezina winners. Martin Broduer won with 2.03 and a 2.02, Jose Theodore won with a 2.11, Domink Hasek won with a 2.11, and (clearly in an off year for goaltending) Olaf Kolzig (yes, he actually won a Vezina...) won with a 2.24.

And you're looking at the new NHL the Vezina winner posting a 3.00 or even a 3.50... that is nuts. (the closest in recent history was Eddy Belfours 2.59, which when you considered that he was playing for an absolutely abysmal Chicago Blackhawks is not bad. His save percentage was .906, and he put up 7 shutouts that year, so he was good).

Guest Grapehead

Kolzig is still a decent goalie, wouldn't build a team around him or anything, but he can get the job done, and at a certain point he was very deserving of the Vezina, so that's a pretty harsh comment. I'd hate to see goalies GAA's skyrocket, but apparently that is what is in the future of the NHL.

So I went and saw the Leafs @ Senators tonight. I will talk a bit about what I thought of it tomorrow but for a quick synopsis... It was an amazing game with lots of excitement. Senators won 7-4 but more on my view of the new style tomorrow.