The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

Guest Grapehead

Although you mentioned the Sens in the latter part of the post, you didn't mention that they are still one of the playoff teams from the east that still look good this year. I think Philly has a much better season ahead of them if luck and health is on their side.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked the Sens to win their division and finish second in the conference, what more do you want? :P

I'm up in the air about the Sens for a few reasons.

1) They may lose Hossa.

2) The haven't added anybody to a team that lost in the first round.

3) Jacques Martin isn't coaching them anymore and you can't deny he was a big part of their success in the regular system. Bryan Murray has failed as a coach multiple times.

So the Sens will be interesting. I think Boston will be the one to win the division again with a dogfight between the Leafs and Sens for the next spot.

Guest Grapehead

You don't dominate somebody by losing serieses to them for years :P

You want a curse, watch Toronto play Philly.

Scratch that, watch the first period. If it's close, Toronto wins. If it's 6-0 Philly...well I think you can gather <_<

Scratch that, watch the first period. If it's close, Toronto wins. If it's 6-0 Philly...well I think you can gather <_<

So you consider domination simply who wins the series? The Sens did dominate the Leafs in the '04 playoffs, but couldn't actually score past Belfour, while on the other end Lalime was choking on sloppy goals. Without Belfour, the Leafs would've lost that series because they were being dominated by the Sens. Oh and if it's 6-0 for any team in the first, most of the time they can take the win, so I don' quite see the curse. The Sens can't beat the Leafs and it has nothing to do with how good the Leafs are, because the Sens will, more often than not, be better.

So you consider domination simply who wins the series? The Sens did dominate the Leafs in the '04 playoffs, but couldn't actually score past Belfour, while on the other end Lalime was choking on sloppy goals. Without Belfour, the Leafs would've lost that series because they were being dominated by the Sens. Oh and if it's 6-0 for any team in the first, most of the time they can take the win, so I don' quite see the curse. The Sens can't beat the Leafs and it has nothing to do with how good the Leafs are, because the Sens will, more often than not, be better.

Edited by oldskool

Guest Grapehead

Edited by Grapehead

Guest Grapehead

Oh and just so you know JJB, Lalime of the Senators, going into the '04 playoffs, had the best GAA of any goalie(who had played atleast a certain number of games, it might have been 10, I can't recall)in the playoffs in recent history.

That may be the funniest thing I have ever read. How the hell can Lalime have the best GAA in recent history when he fucking loses every playoff series he's in pratically. And I'm 99.9% sure Patrick Roy would have had the better GAA in recent history.

As for playoffs it's a simple formula as much as I hate to admit it:

New Jersey beats Philly who beats Toronto who beats Ottawa. :(

There are a lot of question marks with the Sens. They could basically go either way, but they should be good in the regular season anyway.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that the Leafs are now a lottery team.

There's a draft lottery in the NHL?

:mellow:

We just have a winger problem. Hell this is going to be basically the same defense that got us 100 points in 03-04.

Kaberle had a terrible year in the Czech league. He was PPG... but in the fucking Czech league. Jan Fucking Bulis was a point for game player in the Czech league.

McCabe was cut by HV71 after only ten games. He was horrid, with one point, and a ton of defensive breakdowns, and the team ended up finishing third worst in the league.

I can't find a record of Klee playing at all last season. If he took a year off he could be in trouble, as he wasn't that good to begin with.

Aki Berg had a decent year last season, but in 7 playoff games managed 0 points.

I don't see Wade Belak picking up any of the (offensive) slack.

And that covers your defensemen under contract. Leetch, who had 15 points in 15 games with you, is gone. Pilar is an RFA, Berehowsky and Marchment are UFAs, and you had better get used to seeing Carlo Coliacovo, who was an average AHLer last season, as a regular NHL defensemen for you.

Oh and just so you know JJB, Lalime of the Senators, going into the '04 playoffs, had the best GAA of any goalie(who had played atleast a certain number of games, it might have been 10, I can't recall)in the playoffs in recent history.

That may be the funniest thing I have ever read. How the hell can Lalime have the best GAA in recent history when he fucking loses every playoff series he's in pratically. And I'm 99.9% sure Patrick Roy would have had the better GAA in recent history.

As for playoffs it's a simple formula as much as I hate to admit it:

New Jersey beats Philly who beats Toronto who beats Ottawa. :(

Guest Grapehead

OMG NO I"VE BEEN OWNED~!

Seriously, save percentage? shutouts? 03-04 regular season? None of these were a part of my argument. What the hell was the point of THAT? My point was that Lalime was not performing well enough for the Sens in the '04 playoffs, but that prior to the playoffs he had a tremendous GAA for playoff goalies. My argument never touched on a comparison to Belfour, who is a far superior goalie(or was, he's heading downhill, imo), nor did it claim Lalime was an elite goalie who gets a ton of shutouts. As for save percentage, even Luongo had a better save percentage and a worse GAA:

ROBERTO LUONGO W25 L33 T14 SA2475 GA172 GAA2.43 SV%.931

So save percentage is not always relevant, and considering you took pointless facts to make it look like I was some Lalime mark, who thought he was the best in the world. Here, I'll clarify once more, Lalime entered the '04 playoffs with a great playoff GAA, but he did not perform to a level that could compete with Belfour at the other end. Lalime is a great goalie, and can play at an elite level given the right circumstances, but I've never really seen him at that level, save the '03 playoffs. I'm not saying Belfour is horrid, because he's proven time and time again he's an elite goalie, and I'm not saying Lalime is a god, because he's only a great goalie who has spurts of mediocrity, and I was never talking about eithers regular season performance, so what was the point of comparing those two and their regular season stats?

Guest Grapehead

The point was "THAT", as my argument was that with goaltending being an crucial part of hockey and the Leafs having far superior goaltending, making the argument that the Sens dominated that series because they had more offensive pressure is idiotic. The Leafs outscored the Sens and they won the series. They were the better team. Get over it.