Recommend me some music

Liam

Ok, I'm at home,and I get bored easily, so all I've been doing is checking out all those bands people mention on here that I seem to miss, and never get the chance to hear. What I want is just some more recommendations from pretty much any type of music, as I'm not too fussy.

This is a small selection of stuff I like, to give an idea where to branch off with your ideas:

Massive Attack

My Dying Bride

In Flames

Deftones

Foo Fighters

Alice In Chains

The Smiths

Depeche Mode

New Order

Jeff Buckley

Kanye West

Pearl Jam

Chris Cornell

Tool

Nas

Jay-Z

Emperor

Isis

Damien Rice

Dillinger Escape Plan

Amplifier

Ok, so there is a ground sweep of some stuff I like for those who don't know my tastes, but obviously, people who see me post here more will have other ideas of what I like or don't like. So, recommendations close to the bands/artists above, or the genres they sit in will be much appreciated. Or, if there is something you genuinely think I should check out, irrelevant of whether it matches my tastes, just post it, and I'll get around to checking it out.

I've already checked out Sage Francis, Nomeansno, Black Flag, Talib Kweli, Ministry and KMFDM from recent convo's that I remembered through EWB, or on MSN with EWB members.

Thanks in advance

Edited by kevinnashwannabe

Aconite Thrill - The weird jazz timings of Sikth, DEP etc a bit more radio friendly. Weird, winding riffs, really cool musical movements - sort of emo-y because of the singing I guess.

De La Soul

A Tribe Called Quest

Evan Dando - Acoustic rock. You put you liked Damien Rice so I thought I'd suggest this.

Lemonheads - Band fronted by Evan Dando. Like Dando, but with distortion and a slightly rockier sound.

Common - Intelligent rap, all I can say really.

John Legend - Bluesy R&B, actual R&B not the MTV R&B shit. Piano based, awesome voice.

The Bronx

Roots Manuva - Like no rap you've ever heard. Lyrically and musically different, London and Jamacian feel. Awesome.

Kyuss

Anti Flag

Death by Stereo - Imagine a punk SOAD, that's my opinion.

Snot

Done.

Edited by Mr inTent

Aconite Thrill

De La Soul

A Tribe Called Quest

Evan Dando

Lemonheads

Common

John Legend

The Bronx

Roots Manuva

Kyuss

Anti Flag

Death by Stereo

Snot

Hit that shit already (the bolded stuff), but I'll keep an eye on the other stuff. Thanks Jimmy as well. Intent, any chance of putting down the genre of the music, so I kinda know what to expect.

Unearth.

Just noting that I find it funny how big these now are, when I knew them about 2-3 years ago when they were small. Good to see them finally getting somewhere.

Trivium I already like, and Apocalyptica don't interest me....I've seen them live, and they are good, but I dunno...they do nothing for me.

I'll check out the other two though.

!!!:

There's No Fucking Rules Man

Hammerhead

Pardon My Freedom

Hello? Is This Thing On?

Me & Guiliani Down By The Schoolyard (A True Story)

Shitscheissemerde, Part 1 & Part 2

Porcupine Tree:

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Blackest Eyes

Wedding Nails

The Creator Has A Mastertape

Collapse The Light Into Earth

Lips Of Ashes

Sound Of Muzak

EDIT @ Malenko: They're like Dance Punk. Or something. I'm a metal guy in my mind, and I love !!! to death.

Edited by Tristy

Check out The Cure, though It'd be surprised if you never heard them. Get songs like "Pictures of You", "Fascination Street", "Prayers for Rain" and "The Same Deep Water as You".

Also:

The Fall of Troy (pretty good hardcore/ screamo/ emocore, or whatever)

As I Lay Dying (decent metalcore)

Every Time I Die (good hardcore)

Majority Rule (great screamo)

Motion City Soundtrack (good indie rock/ punk)

Novembers Doom (great doom metal, especially their new album, download the song "The Pale Haunt Departure")

Mar De Grises (again, doom metal, like My Dying Bride)

The Sins of Thy Beloved(... doom metal)

SkyCameFalling (great hardcore)

Neurosis (a tribal/ambient/doom/progressive clusterfuck)

Dark Tranquillity (From the Swedish Metal scene, slightly similar ilk to In Flames, but with a much rawer sound to them, double thumbs up from me.)

Sentenced (Modern Hard Rock band, pretty unique sound they got here, mix of very heavy and very mellow.)

Evergrey (Similarish to sentenced, more instrumental based and slightly heavier, which I consider better, but yeah.)

Dimmu Borgir (Death Metal with Melodic roots, some absolutely class songs they have (Kings of the Carnival Creation, Burn in Hell))

Dissection (Rawer sounding than Dimmu Borgir, and have a slight bit more melody to them, great sound, great vocalist, great stuff)

Meshuggah (Very fast paced Death Metal, with melodic roots again. If you want to let loose and headbang, go for these. Awesome timings too if you understand that sort of thing.)

Testament (Think of Metallica mixed with Pantera, very good old heavy metal band, horribly overlooked in the past though, also bear a large range of styles within Heavy metal too, from near-death metal songs such as Dog Faced Gods, to melodic peices like Return to Serenity)

Mastodon (Pretty fast paced band, slightly crummy production on thier older stuff, but still great music. Think of a much heavier version of Metallica. The drumming is fairly insane in every song.)

Opeth (A band with long instrumental sections in a lot of thier songs, little vocals, lots of death metal melody. Class)

Shadows Fall (Melodic metal of a differant kind, Im sure you've heard of these though. It can sometimes near Emo style music, but still has a very rockin' sound.)

The Haunted (A heavier version of In Flames, great to rock the hell out to. Mixes Melodies and raw energy pretty expertly)

At The Gates (Similar to The Haunted, but have a much rawer sound, and longer instrumental parts, good shite)

Angra (Progressive Metal, not all about Dragons and medieval battles though, has some good gutar parts in, and has a very unique sound about them)

Satyricon (As you can guess from the death like name, they're pretty heavy, similar to Dissection.)

Hope that helps in some way, if you dont like every song by every one of these bands, then you are beyond all help my friend.