Folkish/Acoustic/Introspective music

Quom

Yeah so I like Bob Dylan, Tori Amos, Ani DiFranco, Bright Eyes, Alkaline Trio's acoustic stuff and that sort of shit. You know music which is quiet enough to allow you to focus on the lyrics. I don't really care for country however, Bright Eyes and Ani are an exception.

So can anyone think of any songs of theirs I might be missing out on, or have any suggestions for any other artists/groups I might like to add to my list (preferably with a song so I have something to go by).

Sarah McLachlan:

Fallen

World On Fire

Stupid

Push

Dirty Little Secret

Adia

Angel

I Will Remember You

Dear God

Building A Mystery

Keaton Simons:

Joseph

Long Way From Home

Brilliant Blue

Cassandra

Burch Mog

Burden Of Proof

Hello, You Know, Goodbye

It's OK

Portishead:

Biscuit

Glorybox

Roads

Numb

Wandering Star

Sour Times

Edited by Tristy

Definitely add some Nick Drake to your collection. He made some cool music in the late 60s/early 70s. Check out "Day is Done" off of Five Leaves Left or "Pink Moon" off of... well, Pink Moon.

For some more recent music, you might wanna check out Iron & Wine. They do a pretty cool acoustic version of The Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" on the Garden State OST.

Also, Elliot Smith has made some great music. If you've seen Good Will Hunting, you might recognize "Miss Misery" - it was nominated for an Academy Award, methinks. ...and I think just about everything off of X/O is really good.

And even though you don't like country, have you checked out Johnny Cash's American Recordings series of CDs? I don't like country, but I really dug that collection. Check out any of the covers he's done (NIN's "Hurt", Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus", Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down", Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage", Will Oldham's "I See a Darkness")... they're all fantastic.

Edited by canacuna

Definitely add some Nick Drake to your collection.  He made some cool music in the late 60s/early 70s.  Check out "Day is Done" off of Five Leaves Left or "Pink Moon" off of...  well, Pink Moon.

I definitely second the Nick Drake recommendation.

My favourite folk group at the Be Good Tanyas, check out Junkie Song, In Spite Of All The Damage and Rain and Snow.

Joni Mitchell (California, I Wish I Had A River)

Turin Brakes (Underdog (Save Me))

Elliott Smith (Rose Parade)

Emiliana Torrini (Sunny Road)

Foxymorons (Harvard Hands)

Devendra Banhart (This Is The Way)

Iron & Wine (Naked As We Came)

Thao Nguyen (Tallymarks)

Mirah (Nobody Has To Stay, Don't Die In Me)

Josh Rouse (Sparrows Over Birmingham)

Antony and the Johnsons (Hope There's Someone)

Joseph Arthur (Favourite Girl)

Cary Brothers (Blue Eyes)

The aforementioned Garden State soundtrack is awesome. Almost as awesome as the film itself.

Edited by Jimmy the Exploder

You should check out Lucero. They are kind of country, I suppose, but worth downloading.

Tears Don't Matter Much

Coming Home

Mine Tonight

Sad And Lonely

Joining The Army

When You Decide To Leave

Are some good songs.

Let's see, Johnny Cash's American Recordings are great. Maybe some Leonard Cohen (Famous Blue Raincoat, Chelsea Hotel No.2, Strangers Song, So Long Marriane) alot of his earlier stuff might be to your tastes. If you like Dylan you might like Woody Guthrie. Kris Kristofferson (who is kinda country but also not) you might like I suggest Me and Bobby McGee, Shipwrecked in the 80's, Road Warriors Lament. Simon and Garfunkel perhaps? I'd also recomend Steve Earle(Goodbye, Me and The Eagle, he does a good version of Dylan's My Back Pages. I'd recomend more or less anything by him), Townes Van Zandt (Katie Bell and Tecumsah Valley are favorties of mine) and Guy Clark (Like A Coat From the Cold, Desperadoes Waiting For A Train, Dublin Blues, LA Freeway, She Ain't Goin Nowhere all wonderful for lyrics) kinda country but again like Kristofferson they're not country at the same time.