UK Rap/Hip Hop/Garage : The Debate

Guest Blade

Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music

• Yes
    • The U.K. is getting there slowly but surely
    • Hell No, USA owns them forever
    • No

If you had read what I said earlier:

Yes, there are a ton of shit rappers out there, but thats attributed to MTV shoving shit down everyone's throats.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like Trick Daddy

Cam'ron, Petey Pablo and Baby sometimes

no comment, just ugh. I can't believe you two can listen to that sort of tripe.

And I don't see how hip hop owes anything to Kraftwerk. o0;; so Kraftwerk used beats (I'm assuming) and samples (I'm assuming). I'd say hip-hop owes a hell of a lot more to the likes of Kurtis Blow and the late 70's/early 80's freestylers etcetera.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

And I don't see how hip hop owes anything to Kraftwerk. o0;; so Kraftwerk used beats (I'm assuming) and samples (I'm assuming). I'd say hip-hop owes a hell of a lot more to the likes of Kurtis Blow and the late 70's/early 80's freestylers etcetera.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha 9/10 scientists agree that anyone who doesn't like The Jam is retarded and probably has some form of cancer (Usually brain). The 10th scientist was a botanist, which isn't even a real science so doesn't count.

Dead serious. I've never heard of them; if they're as influential as they supposedly are, I'm 99% sure that I would have heard of them by now.

PS; Check your PMs.

How have you never heard of the Jam? You've heard Going Underground I trust?

Some people might say my life is in a rut,

But I’m quite happy with what I got

People might say that I should strive for more,

But I’m so happy I can’t see the point.

Somethings happening here today

A show of strength with your boy’s brigade and,

I’m so happy and you’re so kind

You want more money - of course I don’t mind

To buy nuclear textbooks for atomic crimes

And the public gets what the public wants

But I want nothing this society’s got -

I’m going underground, (going underground)

Well the brass bands play and feet start to pound

Going underground, (going underground)

Well let the boys all sing and the boys all shout for tomorrow

Some people might get some pleasure out of hate

Me, I’ve enough already on my plate

People might need some tension to relax

[me? ] I’m too busy dodging between the flak

What you see is what you get

You’ve made your bed, you better lie in it

You choose your leaders and place your trust

As their lies wash you down and their promises rust

You’ll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns

And the public wants what the public gets

But I don’t get what this society wants

I’m going underground, (going underground)

Well the brass bands play and feet start to pound

Going underground, (going underground)

[so] let the boys all sing and the boys all shout for tomorrow

We talk and talk until my head explodes

I turn on the news and my body froze

The braying sheep on my tv screen

Make this boy shout, make this boy scream!

Going underground, I’m going underground!

I think the problem with UK rap is that barring artists with mainstream appeal, e.g. The Streets (Genuine wit, understandable lyrics for the Q readers) and the GLC (comedy), no one outside of London really cares. Up north your rap fans are essentially, as mentioned by someone else, chavs who wouldn't listen to your up and coming grime types anyway. They'd be listening to Fiddy Cent and whatever that really shit one is that were number 1 on CD:UK. There isn't really a market to sustain a large UK rap industry, just a few standout stars such as Dizzee Rascal and the like.

On a side note, since YI brought up the speaking in techno music, am I the only one that loves it? Its hilarious...

'AND THEN... HE CREATED HOOOOOOOOOUSE! AND IT WAS GOOD! AND THEN, HE CREATED HARD HOOOOOOOOOUSE, AND...*music starts*'

Especially for shit like Rotterdam.

'WE ARE... THE ARMY... OF HARDCORE!'

Cracks me up.

What can be saide as well though is that both sides owe a great and equal debt to the works of acts outside of the U.S & UK, the band in your sig Tristy, NIN owe a huge debt to the German Industrial music of acts like Einsturzende Neubauten and Kraftwerk

What can be saide as well though is that both sides owe a great and equal debt to the works of acts outside of the U.S & UK, the band in your sig Tristy, NIN owe a huge debt to the German Industrial music of acts like Einsturzende Neubauten and Kraftwerk

I don't know what you're trying to get me to do here? Since Einsturzende and Kraftwerk supposedly paved the way, I should think they're better, or respect the bands, or what? I actually think KMFDM & Ministry paved the way for NIN more than those two, but I have heard the name Einsturzende Neubauten come up before when talking about NIN though, so I'll give you that. I don't even know who Kraftwerk is though. Industrial Hip-Hop? What?

I don't think NIN has ever been industrial, per say. They've always had industrial undertones (overtones?), but they've always been more of an alt. rock group, or something along those lines.

Especially the new album. It's piano driven for christ sakes. :P

I don't think NIN has ever been industrial, per say. They've always had industrial undertones (overtones?), but they've always been more of an alt. rock group, or something along those lines.

Edited by Booker T & The MG's