UK Rap/Hip Hop/Garage : The Debate

Guest Blade

Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music

• Yes
    • The U.K. is getting there slowly but surely
    • Hell No, USA owns them forever
    • No

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't even compare the UK and US scenes because they are completley different imo. Theirs a big difference between american hip hop and uk garage. Everything about the whole of uk garage is a lot faster than american style hip hop. But at the end of they days all the artists have tallent.

And you can't try and use the fact that just because one artists rapping about the bloods and cribs that he's automaticaly better than someone rapping about troubles in clubs or city centres. Its about using what you've got and making the most of it and thats what they're doing.

Exactly. A change in subject matter does not make it sound any worse. Tempted to wax lyrical about the sheer aceness of The Irony of It All by The Streets, but I won't bother. Either way that kind of thing is entirely foreign (apt word) to a US rapper.

The Killers are from Las Vegas, and the Lostprophets are a Welsh band trying to sound American. Poor choices laddo.

Get some Bloc Party on. And after that go for the obvious reasons why we're the best, Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Clash, Jam, Smiths, Radiohead.

The Killers are from Las Vegas, and the Lostprophets are a Welsh band trying to sound American. Poor choices laddo.

Get some Bloc Party on. And after that go for the obvious reasons why we're the best, Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Clash, Jam, Smiths, Radiohead.

Beatles? Give me the Beach Boys.

Stones? Aerosmith is better.

The Who? The Doors.

The Kinks? Meh, not my style.

The Clash? Give me The Ramones, the Misfits, or DI. A decent band though.

Jam? Who? Agree with Tristy on this one.

Smiths? What? Tristy is on FIRE~!

Radiohead? So overrated its not even funny.

You didn't even list GOOD British bands, like Queen or Black Sabbath.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

I know The Clash weren't the most musically gifted band in the world, far from it. I'm pretty sure most fans of them would agree with that... but that doesn't mean the didn't make some kick ass tunes.

Edited by Booker T & The MG's

The Ramones are awesome too, but I like The Clash just a tad more. Never did care too much for Misfits though. Nothing bad about them, just not my cup of tea.

Agreed with syco that Aerosmith beat The Stones, but they still had some pretty kick ass tunes... Aerosmith just had more AND were twice as bad ass. Plus Steven Tyler > Mick Jagger and Joe Perry > Keith Richards.

I know The Clash weren't the most musically gifted band in the world, far from it. I'm pretty sure most fans of them would agree with that... but that doesn't mean the didn't make some kick ass tunes.

If that is meant for me. I did'nt mean to come across as saying The Clash were overrated, looking back at the post it does, I like The Clash, I meant they have'nt received the level of praise The Beatles have.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Ok, although this will be boring as hell for me, I'll do it just to shut you the hell up. Here goes: Roots Manuva, Kano, Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, The Streets, Skinnyman, Jehst, Phi Lif Cypher and Taskforce. Is that enough for you? You know nothing about what I listen to, how long I've been listening to rap or anything else about me. As soon as you do, maybe you can say something, until then, shut the fuck up.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I wish people would stop using The Streets as an example of good British music, they're shit, his wordplay is terrible, his 'rhymes' are often too far stretched, he's a glorified chav and they're just annoying.

They have the occasional good beat, ok, they've had 1 good beat. If someone is going to form an arguement, at least pick something better than The Streets.

Ok, although this will be boring as hell for me, I'll do it just to shut you the hell up. Here goes: Roots Manuva, Kano, Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, The Streets, Skinnyman, Jehst, Phi Lif Cypher and Taskforce. Is that enough for you? You know nothing about what I listen to, how long I've been listening to rap or anything else about me. As soon as you do, maybe you can say something, until then, shut the fuck up.

OK, now try to tell me that Chingy, Nelly, Lil' Jon, Cam'ron, Bow Wow, J-Kwon, Petey Pablo, Ying Yang Twins, P. Diddy, Missy Elliott, G Unit, Trick Daddy, Master P, Baby, Bizarre, Ja Rule, Benzino, Trillville, E-40, Bonecrusher, Lil' Romeo, Lil' Kim, Bravehearts, DTP, Mike Jones or Slim Thug are better than any of the UK rappers you named. With a straight face.

I actually like Trick Daddy, The Game, and Lil' Jon, although I wouldn't say any of them are among the most talented rappers out there though.

And you can make anyone look bad by taking the mass market people. Rap is like pop music, if you have 'the look', you'll get used, so naming off people who were/are very successful at what they do as 'bad' isn't going to get you anywhere.