UK Rap/Hip Hop/Garage : The Debate

Guest Blade

Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music

• Yes
    • The U.K. is getting there slowly but surely
    • Hell No, USA owns them forever
    • No

Well if you like quantity you have the US.

If you want quality? Welcome to Canada and the UK. :P

I agree about the quality in Canada, sorta. K-OS is fucking awesome. Fuck the UK though.

America has plenty of quality rappers, though.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem with UK rap is that barring artists with mainstream appeal, e.g. The Streets (Genuine wit, understandable lyrics for the Q readers) and the GLC (comedy), no one outside of London really cares. Up north your rap fans are essentially, as mentioned by someone else, chavs who wouldn't listen to your up and coming grime types anyway. They'd be listening to Fiddy Cent and whatever that really shit one is that were number 1 on CD:UK. There isn't really a market to sustain a large UK rap industry, just a few standout stars such as Dizzee Rascal and the like.

Guest Mr McFarlane

I agree about the quality in Canada, sorta. K-OS is fucking awesome. Fuck the UK though.

I see you have not discovered Sir Abdominal.

Guest Weaf

Up north your rap fans are essentially, as mentioned by someone else, chavs who wouldn't listen to your up and coming grime types anyway. They'd be listening to Fiddy Cent and whatever that really shit one is that were number 1 on CD:UK. There isn't really a market to sustain a large UK rap industry, just a few standout stars such as Dizzee Rascal and the like.

I see you have not discovered Sir Abdominal.

Its no contest, anyway you want to look at it, even the US mainstream scene, which pretty much suck ass, has people like Nas, OutKast, Ludacris, Jadakiss, and Eminem, people who have shitloads of talent, and would stomp any of the UK rappers. Slick Rick don't count either, he might as well be American, even if we do keep trying to send him back :P.

Anyone who says otherwise is a UK homer. You have TONS of influential rock bands, but you're rappers fucking suck. I listened to Dizzee Rascal, he fuckin' sucked. I don't know what you consider hip hop over there, but you'd get killed by the people mentioned above, and half of the underground scene, where people like Slug, Canibus (both are kinda in-between mainstream and underground. Slug less so then Canibus), Necro (on lyrics alone), etc would SLAUGHTER any UK rapper in a battle.

Slick Rick is awesome, I just gotta say that. Children's Story rocks the pantaloon.

Ever listen to Roots Manuva tho syco?