UK Rap/Hip Hop/Garage : The Debate

Guest Blade

Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music

• Yes
    • The U.K. is getting there slowly but surely
    • Hell No, USA owns them forever
    • No

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way every American assumes British life is like that of Hugh Grant in Notting Hill, yes thats exactly how life unfolds here.

I was just going to go eat some tea and crumpets, whilst playing a spot of croquet...you interested?

From what I've learned of English life, mostly from speaking with people here on EWB, it dosen't compare. Granted, most of the Americans, myself included, go through our day to day life without all the strife and bullshit, but it seems to happen a lot more here then it does there. I've been shot at, I've been threatened, I've been in some pretty bad situations, mostly of my own doing, my own decisions. Its different cultures, and if you try to compare them, you're stupid.

Hey, if we lived in places like Hackney, Moss-side, Brixton and places like that, I'm sure we'd go through the same kinda BS.

Believe it or not, there are loads of nasty places in the UK as well, but from talking to the UK people on here, very few live anywhere near those areas. The fact that I doubt many of the people in Brixton or Hackney have computers, and are probably too busy stabbing people for drugs money is neither here nor there, I guess.

EDIT: And apparently its worse in areas like Manchester and Liverpool, but I'm speaking from my experience in London.

Edited by rvdwannabe

From what I've learned of English life, mostly from speaking with people here on EWB, it dosen't compare. Granted, most of the Americans, myself included, go through our day to day life without all the strife and bullshit, but it seems to happen a lot more here then it does there. I've been shot at, I've been threatened, I've been in some pretty bad situations, mostly of my own doing, my own decisions. Its different cultures, and if you try to compare them, you're stupid.

Edited by fineintent

Because the Brits do the same?

We don't go "oh, the UK is SOOOO much Insert Topic Of Convo Here than the US".

Like, when we had the chav argument, we didn't go "ptch, Harlem, whats that? Some kinda pussy area?" All we said was that there are areas that are as nasty as places in the US, whether you'd like to believe it or not.

Similarly, in this argument, we weren't trying to say UK rap is anywhere near as good as US rap. Frankly, I didn't get the point of starting the conversation, as there is no argument. But as fineintent, JTE and mudda have said (in some words or other), there is no use being totally ignorant about UK rap (which, I think sucks, but still know there are some good rap, or even rap style artists, like The Streets,and Dizzee Rascal), or even the UK lifestyle in general (with your "all UK rappers could rap about is...." shtick you gave earlier).

And if you truly are basing what you think English life is based on who you talk to on here, and Hugh Grant films (which I know was what mudda said, but it actually sounds like it), then it is pointless trying to reason.

Hey, if we lived in places like Hackney, Moss-side, Brixton and places like that, I'm sure we'd go through the same kinda BS.

I have nothing to add to the topic. But Hackney was mentioned, so booooyeeeaaah!

Guest Weaf

I knew this would turn into a US Vs UK argument. I hate stereotypes, I'm from Liverpool so believe me I know a lot about them. As people have said, shit goes on in American and sht goes on in England, it happens. Believe it or not other places have gun crime too, startling I know! Insert sarcasm here --------

Of course the US scene is better at the moment, there's way more exposure for it. In fact because of the popularity of US rappers UK ones can't catch a break. Most people here would rather listen to tripe by Nelly and Fiddy unfortunately. I'm not basing that on region, unfortunately it's like that up and down the country. If you look hard you can find quality material from the UK scene, unfortunately you've really gotta dig deep. People are lazy, fact. Most will just buy someting that they see on MTV.

On a sidenote, British bands piss all over their American counter parts...But that's another topic. ;)

Actually, I could give a fuck about a British accent. I prefer early 90s West Coast gangsta rap, so, of course, UK rap can't compare, because you have nothing to rap about in that style. You gonna rap about some chavs, and compare them to Crips and Bloods? You gonna rap about riding in your shitty little British car on a round-a-bout in London instead of dippin' on the 'Shaw? Please. I am HIGHLY uninterested in UK rap, and no, I probably couldn't name many UK rappers, because I don't waste my time remembering the names of people that suck.

Why change the subject? You said:

"[The US has] people like Nas, OutKast, Ludacris, Jadakiss, and Eminem, people who have shitloads of talent, and would stomp any of the UK rappers."

How many of those are 90s West Coast gangsta rap artists? There's not a single rapper there from the West. I wasn't arguing that British gangsta rap is better than 90s West Coast gangsta rap. I couldn't give a shit about gangsta rap.

Well, its kind of hard to compare modern day rappers to NWA, Ice T, the original Death Row Records, and shit like that, because the game has changed. Thus, I listed who I consider to be the best 'mainstream' rappers right now. Its not hard to figure that out ;)

And I'm not saying that there aren't bad parts of England. What I'm saying is, from speaking with people here, most of you haven't lived or spent considerable time in those places, while I have spent time in those places here. Also, there have been people that have tried to say that 'The UK is worse then the US', but it was awhile ago.

You better be paying for my wheelchair EBG, I just let my backbone slide. :'(

I ain't no meal ticket.

Besides, if anybody needs to blamed for this ordeal, it's the catchy... nay... addictive music stylings of Canadian hip-hop icon, Maestro.

This jam is amplified, so just glide,

and let your backbone slide...

Word up.

Look out fo da cops.