Family Entertainment & Copyright Act of 2005

tristy

Not that there was ever any doubt that Congress would pass this, but yesterday the House of Representatives approved the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005. Besides making it explicitly legal for companies like ClearPlay to sell software which automatically edits out anything that anyone might possibly find objectionable from DVDs, the bill also makes it a federal crime to use a video camera to record films in movie theaters (punishable by up to three years in prison for the first offense) and sets a penalty of up to ten years in prison for sharing a movie or a song prior to its commercial release. We’ve got no beef with the ClearPlay-enabling part of the legislation (for the most part), since people should be able to do what they want with a DVD they’ve bought and paid for, but that was really just a smokescreen to railroad the rest of the bill, which may as well have been written by the MPAA and RIAA’s lobbyists. The bill now heads to President Bush, who is expected to sign it into law.

So I can get 10 years in prison for sharing Weezers new CD? Abso-fucking-lutely retarded. If Michael Jackson gets off without going to jail for what he did, but they send a bunch of computer nerds to jail for sharing files, I'm moving to Canada.

Is there any movement in the UK on this type of matter? I haven't really noticed any, apart from the periodic article on the BBC website about how "film/music/whatever companies continuing to dislike it".

Whatever, you know what I mean. The point is, Canadians might be charged the same as us Americans for downloading music.

and I can't say I really care, either. I don't see why the UK & Canada should get free passes, while we bare the brunt of the attack(s). I hope you guys get it too, or we all just abolish that shit. :D

Whatever, you know what I mean. The point is, Canadians might be charged the same as us Americans for downloading music.

and I can't say I really care, either. I don't see why the UK & Canada should get free passes, while we bare the brunt of the attack(s). I hope you guys get it too, or we all just abolish that shit. :D

Guest Mr McFarlane

Oh come on, for once DON'T make the rest of the world suffer with you. :shifty:

If I have to go to jail, goddamnit, Gabriel or Beatnik or some canuck is coming with me!