Punk songs help

Guest Cashmiesta

Lots of band spanding many genres and era's. Everything from riot grrl to hardcore to punk. My favorite songs, not the 'best' songs.

Agnostic Front - Riot Riot Upstart

Aus Rotten - AIDS

Bikini Kill - Suck My Left One

Black Flag - Rise Above

the Buzzcocks - What Do I Get?

Career Suicide - Crotch Rot

the Clash - London Calling

Cockney Rejects - Police Car

Crass - Mickey Mouse Is Dead

Dead Kennedys - Viva Las Vegas

the Descendents - I'm Not A Loser

Devotchka's - Oi Toy

The Dickies - Gigantor

Generation X - Ready Steady Go

Huggy Bear - Her Jazz

Minor Threat - Minor Threat

New York Dolls - Trash

Oi Polloi - Anarchy Pie

Operation Ivy - Officer

Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop

Refused - New Noise

Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen

Sham 69 - Tell Us The Truth

The Specials - Ghost Town

Stiff Little Fingers - Barbed Wire Love

If you are looking for newer punk bands, who sound just like the bands listed before...

Bombs Over Providence

Closet Monster

Bouncing Souls

Rancid

NOFX

Pennywise

Dropkick Murphys

Horrorpops

Millencolin

Rise Against

Voice Of A Generation

So, I was browing on a Mars Volta fansite message board, and I found a video of Refused performing at a bar (The Sunshine Bar in Dundalk, Ireland).

There's maybe like, 30 people in the room/bar. And Refused are just spazzing out, going nuts, playing good music.

Oh man. It's fucking awesome.

Guest George

I doubt you will get that much help here.... No offense to ANYBODY here, because so far, some of my favorite music posters (PRP, Verbal Puke, Titsy) have posted here, but this guys looks for something more main-stream, and even if The Clash is the awesomeness, I doubt it will fill this guy's needs.

Your best bet would be to get a "Launch" account (http://launch.yahoo.com), search for one of your favorite punk bands, and listen to the radio of the band. It will give you a lot of music that are either from the group, or are reccomendations from other fans of that band.

It may not fit your music needs at first, but as you rate and rate, your radio will come along better.

You appear to be looking for more mainstream "pop-punk" artists, which I despise with a passion, so I can't help you much with that, but I heartily suggest The Buzzcocks and Exploding Hearts, as they're more "traditional" punk, but with more of a pop-song leaning, so you get the best of both worlds. I suggest you check out "Ever Fallen In Love With Someone" by The Buzzcocks, it's fairly well known, but would probably suit your needs. And it sounds like Buddy Holly on speed, which is always a good thing.

Honestly, if you're going to go 'pop-punk', some of my stuff still applies, as it gets radio airplay. Pennywise, Bad Religion, both get radio airplay out here. Blink 182 is good, pre Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. You could probably go with some Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies (did I fuck that name up), if you want some cover stuff.

You appear to be looking for more mainstream "pop-punk" artists, which I despise with a passion, so I can't help you much with that, but I heartily suggest The Buzzcocks and Exploding Hearts, as they're more "traditional" punk, but with more of a pop-song leaning, so you get the best of both worlds. I suggest you check out "Ever Fallen In Love With Someone" by The Buzzcocks, it's fairly well known, but would probably suit your needs. And it sounds like Buddy Holly on speed, which is always a good thing.

No one's said it yet, and I feel like it's been left out, so I'm just going to toss out "The Misfits" for him. The group came out when Punk was really hitting its' stride in the late 70s.

Other than that, The Refused are really good. The Horrorpops have an old school punk mentality with their music, but it's not for everyone, and most "punks" I know seem to not like them.

I think everything else I would suggest has been suggested more than once by this point, so I'll leave it at that.

Since I omitted pop-punk in my initial post, I'll offer a few bands that should meet the criteria others have illustrated.

Check out the Queers, these guys are poppy/catchy as hell, and very fun live.

Agent Orange is very good Orange County skate punk, and also have some elements of poppiness in them.

The Undertones are another good pop punk band that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. They are in a similar mold as the Buzzcocks, maybe even catchier.

You can also check out the Boys, another good punk group on the poppier side of things. Look for stuff from their self titled album, as it's one of the more underrated punk albums of the 1970s.

I also strongly advocate Skumfrog's suggestion of the Exploding Hearts, doesn't get much better than that. I'm not a huge fan of modern music, but these guys are superb. It's a shame that 3/4's of the group died in an automobile accident before they could release more material.

I realize some of this stuff isn't mainstream, but I don't think that should matter. If it's good music you're going to enjoy it regardless of it's notoriety.

Edited by VerbalPuke

SO you're looking for 'Skate-Punk', 'Punk Rock', 'New Punk' etc. Whatever you want to call it.

I suggest you check out;

The Falcon (Stuff's hard to come by but it's worth it, only have 1, 12 minute EP out)

Propagandhi

Anti-Flag (Watch your right. Watch your left. Watch the right. Watch the center. And watch your back! HEY! - EBG you made me realise I haven't listened to this song in ages)

Death By Stereo

Strung Out (Branching more away from the 'new punk' style. Their stuff from the early 90's (The Skinny Years.... and Another Day In Paradise) has a more traditional 'punk' like feel but they're nowhere near their best albums. But i'm a blind mark as they're my favourite band)

Rise Against

Break The Silence (Great band. Debut album was awesome)

Pennywise

Good Riddance (Mainly older stuff)

Only Crime

Cigar (Reminds of the good ol' days of skating to SO, Cigar, Good Riddance and Pennywise. Have a new album out this year. Great 'skate punk')

Hot Water Music

Millencolin

The Killing Tree (Not punk, but it's made up of some of the members of Rise Against)

SO. That's all the new stuff I can think of. (Fall for my subliminal advertising :shifty:)

Edited by YI

Guest Cashmiesta

Whoa, thanks for your help! NoFX and Bad Religon are cool and so are DKM and the Undertones. I've got most of the songs you suggested and now I'm after one more by 20 Miniute Crash and Mat Hoffman called the CFB song which was on the first mat Hoffman Pro BMX game for PS1.

Thanks again, Mitch