England - The Tuchel Years

Lineker

A lot of people will complain about  England having a foreign manager.

But it isnt even the first time England has looked to Germans to lead them when they couldn't find someone suitable at home.

• Haha 1

Thing is, Tuchel has a good record, he's got experience of managing in high level leagues and has managed in England before. 

The only thing that tends to happen with Tuchel is there's a bust up at some form of behind the scenes level and it ends in a bit of a dumpster fire. 

Who else are England going to get realistically though? From an "English" perspective really the only manager is Eddie Howe. I wouldn't say Howe is a bad appointment but it's not an exciting appointment. 

5 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

The only thing that tends to happen with Tuchel is there's a bust up at some form of behind the scenes level and it ends in a bit of a dumpster fire. 

And given the Ben White situation, it's not like there wasn't this kind of thing under Southgate either.

I like the appointment, be interesting to see how he addresses the left back situation.

9 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

I think I heard his contract just runs to the World Cup, so they've semi accounted for it. It'll basically come down to finding out how suited to international management he'll be, if he gets grumpy he can be moved on.

2 hours ago, King Ellis said:

There's a green on the back of the Mail taking about his questionable managerial record. Yeah, let's stack up his trophies next to Southgate's and see who comes out on top.

Gareth Southgate won the Toulon Tournament in 2016 and has one Premier League manager of the month award from 2008.

So obviously him.

And Tuchel wears a hat. He's clearly hiding something.

English managers were winning the European Cup all the time in the 1970s and 1980s. There was Bob Paisley, Brian Clough, Joe Fagan and Tony Barton, and yet none of them ever managed England.

The last time an English manager was almost unanimously considered the best candidate was probably Kevin Keegan, and that didn't end up going very well. Don Revie was also a successful club manager who didn't do well with England.

• Like 1

The fact it costs coaches a ridiculous amount to get their UEFA coaching badges via the English FA compared to other countries doesn't help the development. 

I have never seen an issue with having a foreign manager in charge the right person for the job should be the one to get it. You keep getting plebs like Dean Ashton, newspapers like the Daily Mail making out like the world's going to implode. 

Ashton going on about defensive football....did you not watch the last few years of England in tournament football? 

This has been the case for such a long time that I think it must be cultural thing, because English football certainly isn't short of resources or numbers.

I think to be a successful football manager it's pretty clear you need a level of intelligence and creativity. The likes of Brian Clough and Don Revie were highly intelligent and articulate men. Contemporary English football culture (perhaps English working class culture as a whole?) is more likely to treat people with intellectual curiosity as oddballs. There's obviously the famous story of people treating Graeme Le Saux as a freak for reading the Guardian. (Okay perhaps not a contemporary example but if you haven't produced a manager that won the league since 1992 or a European trophy since the 80s it's comtemporary enough).

In Italy and Spain people who are cerebral about football are celebrated. I think it's telling that Graham Potter - maybe still the most promising English football manager - largely had his formation abroad.