What do YOU want to see?

Mick

I was thinking just a moment ago about a contribution I was going to make to the thread talking about the adaptations, concerning The Sicilian. And I thought it was kind of interesting that Mario Puzo, in addition to The Godfather and it's screenplays, produced a spinoff, and then later on two more novels involving the Mafia. And in spite of that, as far as I'm aware, they're not connected to The Godfather. And that's kind of a small, missed opportunity I think. Just drop a line, "Oh, Hell's Kitchen, cool." "Yeah, this was the Corleone's grounds back in the day." "Oh Cool. What happened to them?" "Well, it was kind like the ending of Scarface and the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid had a child." Little bit of lore. Like...House of the Dragon. We have the Hightowers and Velaryons. They're big players on HotD - Starks are still around, Lannisters...why are these two not around? Same thing for the Corleone family. 

And then I thought....what if they remade the Godfather series today? And not in a cinematic release, but let's say HBO go the rights, and made a three season, 10 episode, 1 hour episode each series. I would sit and watch that, and yes, the Godfather is a classic, but let's face it, quite a few adaptations beloved by their fans have been, rather than adapted well, horribly butchered, sometimes more than once. 

So basically, share whatever adaptations you would want to see made, and just assume that you have complete creative control and the budget for the production is the Federal Reserve Depository in New York City. Also a time machine to nab whatever cast and/or crew you deem necessary to make it. cause why not?  

I still think that a Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon series about Aerys II could make for great television. I outlined the possible structure in a previous post:

Spoiler

I'd love to see something akin to The Crown, only based on the life of Aerys II. Have each series cover a different time period and chart his gradual descent into madness. You could start with the Tragedy at Summerhall and then cover his role during The War of the Ninepenny Kings, his budding friendship with Tywin, his coronation and his outlandish promises that came to nothing. Then you could really explore the tensions that developed between Tywin and him, as well as Aerys' lust for Joanna Lannister. You've also got the difficulties Rhaella had with childbirth and the irrational punishments he imposed on those involved.

The Defiance of Duskendale could then take up a good few episodes, perhaps even a full series. You'd get to see Ser Barristan being amazing, Tywin being ruthless and Rhaegar possibly making plans for his ascent to the throne, along with the all-important breaking point for Aerys' sanity.

The Year of the False Spring would follow, and we'd see some of the pivotal moments that shaped the events to come. Jaime Lannister is named to the Kingsguard, Tywin resigns as Hand, Varys joins Aerys' court and Aerys begins to order the stocking of wildfire beneath the city. This series would end with the Tourney at Harrenhal, setting up Robert's Rebellion.

Then, of course, you'd get the series about Robert's Rebellion that so many people had wanted. Hopefully, everything will have been built up effectively by this point and we'd see everything from a more complex point of view. People who didn't read the books could see that Aerys wasn't always mad, but that the seeds of his descent were in place early in his life. Personally, I hate the theory that he lost his sanity because Bran meddled with time because it cheapens the impact of all the under significant events in his life.

• Like 1

I would like a 400 episode series covering all 20 Rougon-Macquart novels. This is my number one preference.

I would also like a drama on the 1814-1815 Congress of Vienna. Fuck all the Napoleon and war stuff. That's overdone. Let's focus on the bureaucracy that followed afterwards. I'd maybe have 15 episodes on that. Not sure what I'd be adapting though. A load of old history books? Wikipedia? Maybe a YouTuber did something on it?

I would also like a fictionalised but realistic programme about a huge 70s rock band. You know, the global tours, the silly petty fights, the narcissism, the recording and so on. I think that could be cool. I guess you can take lots of inspiration from the more chaotic end: Rolling Stones, Who, Led Zep, Spinal Tap etc. I think someone did a similar thing about Motley Crue and that probably ticks the box for chaos but I would also like this version to have interesting people and good music.

I think we need another back to basics no crazy new ideas adaptation of all the Sherlock Holmes. I know we've probably had about 50 already but we're due another.

• Like 4

Mission: Impossible done as a series, with a good budget behind it.   I think that might be the only way to keep it going once Cruise is done as he's just escalated the movie level stunts to an absurd degree.   Would be cool to see it brought back to a smaller scale with more of a focus on story and espionage than just over the top action.

• Like 1

A Simpsons adaptation that is entirely down to earth and swarming with magic robots.

First thing to sincerely come to mind is a TV series anime adaptation of the Tekken series that doesn't just focus on the Mishima/Kazama family. Tekken is off the wall bat shit insane with its plot, and the longer it goes the more batshit it gets. A real anime featuring all the side characters and exploring how they interact could be incredibly fun.

• Like 2

1. An adaptation of the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories. Probably best done as a big budget cable series.

2. A new Mission: Impossible tv series that is back to it being an actual team. In a nod to the first MI movie crapping over the original tv show, there's a mention of an incompetent agent named Ethan Hunt, who died and was disavowed on his first or second mission.