Dame Maggie Smith Passes Away

Krabby

:( 

I'm sure more cultured people will have other memories of her but I remember her from Harry Potter. She really brought to life the stern yet soft character of Professor McGonagall

• Like 1

I always liked Maggie Smith whenever she appeared in something.

My first memory of her is from Hook when she was playing a 92-year-old Wendy Darling at age 56- followed by the Sister Act movies. I was only reminded today that she was in First Wives Club too, had no memory of her in that at all (but tbf, haven't seen it in 20+ years).

She's great in Murder by Death, a 1976 parody of murder mysteries with Peter Falk, David Niven, Truman Capote. Although, Peter Sellers does yellowface in that movie which brings the whole thing down a bit. This was also the first time I saw her not playing an old lady or being an old lady. 

She also appears in a couple of Agatha Christie adaptations (Death on the Nile and Evil Under The Sun) around the same time with Peter Ustinov. Which are worth checking out.

Gosford Park is pretty good, I've never seen Downton Abbey but they're both written by Jullian Fellows and I think the idea for the series of Downton Abbey began with Gosford Park.

89 is a pretty good age to get to.

• Like 1

I’ve not seen much of her stuff but she was obviously great. I remember how bizarre I found it when I moved to Morningside (quite a posh yet austere area of Edinburgh) and all the old ladies talked exactly the same as she did in Miss Jean Brodie/Harry Potter.

• Like 2