Oasis reuniting

gunnar hendershow

Spoiler

They clearly heard the pop from 50k+ for Fuckin' in the Bushes and figured it was time to give it another go.

But in seriousness, sure they're a pair of dickbags and their material did feel like a case of diminishing returns as it went on but even if it's just a case of turning up to play the hits, it's going to do gangbusters for them. If it means new material then I'm up for that and, if nothing else, we can all just sit back and await the inevitable when they turn on each other again.

Back in the old days I used to be quite unkind about Oasis because I thought I was too cool for them but their breakup has made it a bit easier for me to appreciate them. I mean I’m not going to be listening to Standing on the Shoulder of Giants anytime soon (or WTSMG either to be honest) but Definitely Maybe is a cracker of an album and they had plenty of good singles around that. Some recent footage I’ve seen suggests that Liam has semi-rediscovered the ability to sing live so this might not actually be as bad as it could be. I’m not going to pay to go to see them or anything but I wouldn’t be averse to it.

I got to see them back when they were active and that's enough for me. Happy for mega fans of theirs but while I really enjoyed the show back then I won't be rushing out for tickets or anything. Will gladly give a listen to anything new they might put out though

This is a question. Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters have more or less been entrenched as the legacy alt rock/grunge era bands that still sell out huge venues and their fans just go along with anything else they cook up. Who from the Britpop era is in a similar vein? I can't think of any, Blur aren't a regular touring act and have frequent hiatuses.

They don't fit entirely snugly in the classic britpop mould but Manic Street Preachers have been plugging away with the same three members releasing albums (which have generally been quite decent) and play big venues. Getting even more tenuous here but you might apply that to Stereophonics too.

• Like 1

They sit in a weird place as far as my musical background goes, Definitely Maybe came out when I was 11 so I missed the peak but obviously heard it all while at school. At that stage it almost felt obligatory to buy their albums, to the point I bought Heathen Chemistry on holiday as it came out that week. That was the last one I bought (awful, as was the one before...), but I did see them at T in the Park later that year. I'd seen Foo Fighters and various big bands at festivals before, but the reaction to Oasis coming on was bigger than I'd ever seen, they really did feel like superstars. Then by mid set as they were droning through Born on a Different Cloud the realisation they were a bit spent finally hit home. Those first two albums still feel okay (even if I wouldn't listen by choice), and Be Here Now isn't quite as bad as Noel thinks (it's certainly better than everything since), but as a band they were done 25 years ago.

• Like 1

If I don't get a ticket I'd be fine with it but it'd be nice to tick them off the list of bands/artists I've seen live as I would have been too young during their pomp and I wasn't really going to festivals before they split. 

Will try for Croke Park (preferably) or Wembley

14 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

If I don't get a ticket I'd be fine with it but it'd be nice to tick them off the list of bands/artists I've seen live as I would have been too young during their pomp and I wasn't really going to festivals before they split. 

Will try for Croke Park (preferably) or Wembley

Just to warn you given you're someone with a clear distaste for England football fans, having been to the Stone Roses reunion gig at Heaton Park you are not going to like the crowd. Even my laddiest mate lost all faith in humanity when a load of dicks in parkas just jumped the bar and started nicking beer.

55 minutes ago, Colly said:

Just to warn you given you're someone with a clear distaste for England football fans, having been to the Stone Roses reunion gig at Heaton Park you are not going to like the crowd. Even my laddiest mate lost all faith in humanity when a load of dicks in parkas just jumped the bar and started nicking beer.

i wanna hear more about your laddiest mate 

how many stone island tops does he have?

Lee and Herring used to have a bit on their knock off Richard and Judy where they'd be talking later to Britain's most Star Wars obsessed shepherd, "Who'd seen both Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back". It's all relative.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colly said:

BBC News just described them as a supergroup, which is not what that word means.

But it's the best members of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and...*checks notes*...Beady Eye, I guess?

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

BBC News just described them as a supergroup, which is not what that word means.

Oasis are no Travelling Wilburies.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skummy said:

But it's the best members of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and...*checks notes*...Beady Eye, I guess?

Not having it, you can't split a band then reform the constituent parts into the original band and call it a supergroup. Even if Andy Bell rejoined it's still not an Oasis/Hurricane #1 supergroup as Oasis were already a thing.

3 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Oasis are no Travelling Wilburies.

Now there's a reunion I'd prefer, though it might take a fair bit of voodoo.

• Like 1