NFL 2024

That's why even though the Daniel Jones contract terms (4/160) seem horrific at a glance, I still can't quite get that mad at it because it was structured in a way where they can get out of it after this season, unless he gets hurt.  With Minnesota and Washington as their first two games I believe pretty strongly that if they start 0-2 they should bench him immediately to protect him and just take the sunk cost this year.  Play Lock and DeVito and just keep Jones healthy so they can move on.

Prescott's contract will likely carry an entirely different structure and much more guaranteed money.  It's not going to be something you can just get out of quickly.  Likely huge money tied up for 4-5 years and unless you're just a genius drafter there's going to be no way to overcome it.

3 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

That's why even though the Daniel Jones contract terms (4/160) seem horrific at a glance, I still can't quite get that mad at it because it was structured in a way where they can get out of it after this season, unless he gets hurt.  With Minnesota and Washington as their first two games I believe pretty strongly that if they start 0-2 they should bench him immediately to protect him and just take the sunk cost this year.  Play Lock and DeVito and just keep Jones healthy so they can move on.

Prescott's contract will likely carry an entirely different structure and much more guaranteed money.  It's not going to be something you can just get out of quickly.  Likely huge money tied up for 4-5 years and unless you're just a genius drafter there's going to be no way to overcome it.

It'll be tied up for 3 years because Dak's greedy and will want another chance to get absurdly overpaid.

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

It'll be tied up for 3 years because Dak's greedy and will want another chance to get absurdly overpaid.

I don't blame him for being greedy. Saddled with the "can't make it happen in the playoffs" badge means he'll have to take as much as he can get while people still think he has a chance. 

Ricky Pearsall got shot when someone attempted to rob him.  He’s reported to be in stable condition thankfully.

• Sad 1

ESPN Analytics has the Giants not just being the worst team in football this year but one of the worst teams of all time.  2-15 predicted record, 32nd ranked offense, 32nd ranked defense.

I’m not going to pretend I have high hopes for the team this year but that feels a little extreme.  It means they think adding a stud playmaker means nothing, that adding one of the best pass rushers in the league means nothing - actually not only meaning nothing, actually making the group worse than a year ago.  It assumes the OL is still going to be unplayably horrid and that the secondary will get shredded on every snap.  It’s hard to me imagine them being that much worse than even a year ago and if they are, there will be another house cleaning.

Vegas had a much more generous line of 6.5 (slam the under, IMO).

That said they also have the Giants installed as home underdogs against Sam Darnold.  As I’ve said, if they lose that game they might already be cooked.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

ESPN Analytics has the Giants not just being the worst team in football this year but one of the worst teams of all time.  2-15 predicted record, 32nd ranked offense, 32nd ranked defense.

I’m not going to pretend I have high hopes for the team this year but that feels a little extreme.  It means they think adding a stud playmaker means nothing, that adding one of the best pass rushers in the league means nothing - actually not only meaning nothing, actually making the group worse than a year ago.  It assumes the OL is still going to be unplayably horrid and that the secondary will get shredded on every snap.  It’s hard to me imagine them being that much worse than even a year ago and if they are, there will be another house cleaning.

That said they also have the Giants installed as home underdogs against Sam Darnold.  As I’ve said, if they lose that game they might already be cooked.

It's crazy how that 1st game is nearly a must win for both teams if they have any hopes of doing something this season. That prediction by ESPN sounds awfully bad and off-base tbh and i dont even follow the team that close

Projections schmajections. That said, it's a quarterback-driven league, and there's not many quarterbacks I'd rather have less than Daniel Jones. Yeah, you added a playmaker at receiver, but you also lost Barkley at running back. The O-Line should be better, and Burns should make the defense better. 

I'd be curious what their projections said about teams last year. I've never actually gone back to see how accurate those are. 

18 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

Projections schmajections. That said, it's a quarterback-driven league, and there's not many quarterbacks I'd rather have less than Daniel Jones. Yeah, you added a playmaker at receiver, but you also lost Barkley at running back. The O-Line should be better, and Burns should make the defense better. 

I'd be curious what their projections said about teams last year. I've never actually gone back to see how accurate those are. 

I'm bored, so let's go back and check, using this:

AFC:

Spoiler

East: 
1. Buffalo Bills: Projected wins 10.5 Actual record 11-6

2. Miami Dolphins: Projected wins 9.4 Actual record 11-6

3. NY Jets: Projected wins 9.2 Actual record 7-10

4. Patriots Projected wins 7.5 Actual record 4-13

North

1. Ravens Projected 9.8 Actual 13-4

2. Browns Projected 9.1 Actual 11-6

3. Steelers Projected 8.5 Actual 10-7

4. Bengals Projected 10.6 Actual 9-8

South

1. Texans Projected 6.8 Actual 10-7

2. Jaguars Projected 9.3 Actual 9-8

3. Colts Projected 7.1 Actual 9-8

4. Titans Projected 7.9 Actual 6-11

West

1. Chiefs Projected 10.6 Actual 11-6

2. Raiders Projected 6.8 Actual 8-9

3. Broncos Projected 8.4 Actual 8-9

4. Chargers Projected 9.4 Actual 5-12

NFC:

Spoiler

East: 
1. Cowboys: Projected wins 9.5 Actual record 12-5

2. Eagles: Projected wins 10.3 Actual record 11-6

3. NY Giants: Projected wins 7.9 Actual record 6-11

4. Commanders Projected wins 6.7 Actual record 4-13

North

1. Lions Projected 9.3 Actual 12-5

2. Packers Projected 7.7 Actual 9-8

3. Vikings Projected 8.5 Actual 7-10

4. Bears Projected 7.9 Actual 7-10

South

1. Buccanneers Projected 6.4 Actual 9-8

2. Saints Projected 8.9 Actual 9-8

3. Falcons Projected 8.5 Actual 7-10

4. Panthers Projected 7.5 Actual 2-15

West

1. 49ers Projected 10.2 Actual 12-5

2. Rams Projected 6.8 Actual 10-7

3. Seahawks Projected 8.7 Actual 9-8

4. Cardinals Projected 5.1 Actual 4.3

• Thanks 1

I still don't even think losing Barkley is that big of a deal for the Giants.  He's always been talented but there were just so many times in the last 6 years where they were forcing him the ball to justify the #2 pick regardless of gamescript, so many times they'd be sending him running straight into the pile for 2 yards at a clip and then he'd get like 90% of his yards on the game on 2-3 big outside runs.  In Philly they already have tons of weapons and he's more of a luxury, they won't be compelled to force the ball to him and will probably use him more in line with his skillset.  Devin Singletary has been a serviceable starter in the league and should be fine for the role he's given, even if Jones fails in his final chance I'd rather not try to base the whole offense on a RB again in 2024.

Daboll confirmed the obvious today that he will be calling plays this season, which I think also has to be considered a good thing for the offense.  It seemed like he took over as playcaller during halftime of game 2 last year while they were getting blown out by Arizona and it led to great results.  But then the media spent all week trying to force him to admit that he was handicapping Mike Kafka and he backed off playcalling again, to the team's detriment.

Kafka was absent from Hard Knocks this year and has barely been seen at practice.  The Giants blocked him from making a lateral move this offseason and he's seemingly only here because the Giants didn't want the optics of losing all three coordinators in the same offseason (ST was a disaster so McGaughey had to go, he and Wink Martindale hated each other and Wink not getting another NFL job felt telling).  Kinda hilarious that Kafka's basically getting paid to do nothing this year, not a bad gig if you can get it.

7 hours ago, The Buscher said:

That's pretty wild because well 1) the Panthers exist 2) the Pats exist 3) the Giants have a middle of the road strength of schedule. The Giants might not even be the worst team in the NFC East! The big Preview article from ESPN definitely says differently than the analytics about the projected wins, even though it seemed to be using the analytics for the projected wins (Giants were 6.7 projected wins)

• Like 1

Ja'Marr Chase practiced today.  Burrow said he already looks good to go and Chase said he'll address the media on Friday.

I mean, he really had nothing to gain by continuing to "hold-in" and not suit up.  He had two years left on his contract (with them picking up his 5th year option) and QBs seem to be the only ones that consistently get locked up after three years.  Most everyone else has to wait until after their 4th season.

I get why he wants to be paid a year early but he's got no real leverage outside of just torpedoing his team's season from the jump, which only turns the fans on you and might lead to you getting shipped off to a worse situation.  Tee Higgins will leave after this year and likely get WR1 money somewhere else, freeing up all kinds of money for Chase's eventual massive extension.