NFL 2024

2 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

Fucking Cardiac Cats. Good win though, Rams are tough.

Don't bet money on the Lions, but never bet against them. -- My dad. 

• Like 3

• Admin

Might be time to start scouting college QB's.

@LL! - I'd love to still ideally be sat here as a Houston fan - but, you know, massive racist pieces of shut ownership. So unless they sell up....

Spoiler

Not that the ownership in Carolina is anything to sing home about! At this rate I'll have to go back to the [un]lucky hat draw to hope that third time is indeed a charm...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Might be time to start scouting college QB's.

@LL! - I'd love to still ideally be sat here as a Houston fan - but, you know, massive racist pieces of shut ownership. So unless they sell up....

Hide contents

Not that the ownership in Carolina is anything to sing home about! At this rate I'll have to go back to the [un]lucky hat draw to hope that third time is indeed a charm...

You might be better off ruling out any teams with morally bankrupt owners or POS star players. It'd leave you with a small enough pool to choose from that you might end up happy with it.

• Like 3

• Admin

If you recall at the time, that's why Washington (Snyder) and New England (just no, not ever), were already withdrawn :P 

This was all done in a small window between old Panthers ownership selling up and new Panthers ownership showing their true, insane colours.

Anyway, it's done now. 

• Like 1

I personally think Belichick should stay in the media from now on because he's affable in those roles and is a wealth of knowledge.  Hearing him talk Xs and Os is fascinating, I know he wanted to run down Shula's record but he's got nothing to prove and seeing him go back to grump mode would be jarring.

But he does seemingly want to return to coaching in 2025 and while the word is he'll be "choosy" with his situation, most believe he's still always wanted to coach the Giants from his time as a DC here and the timing just never worked out for him.  He's also got a deep respect for the Mara family and they're still close from his time there.  If he's giving the keys to rebuild the whole thing he's probably not going to turn it down even if it means a couple of extra years before he can possibly build something.

I think turning the coach and GM roles over to a 73-year old Bill Belichick, who has a losing record when Brady isn't his QB and who hasn't been a good drafter in close to a decade, would be a terrible idea.  But it feels like the big panic move Mara might make in 2025.  Especially because nobody else is going to want this fucking job.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Buscher said:

Pick six on a screen pass.

Fuck Jones.  Bench him for the rest of the season.  Get out of the contract.  It’s over.

Saw this on FB:

458648828_549181787674609_65908904606624

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

I personally think Belichick should stay in the media from now on because he's affable in those roles and is a wealth of knowledge.  Hearing him talk Xs and Os is fascinating, I know he wanted to run down Shula's record but he's got nothing to prove and seeing him go back to grump mode would be jarring.

But he does seemingly want to return to coaching in 2025 and while the word is he'll be "choosy" with his situation, most believe he's still always wanted to coach the Giants from his time as a DC here and the timing just never worked out for him.  He's also got a deep respect for the Mara family and they're still close from his time there.  If he's giving the keys to rebuild the whole thing he's probably not going to turn it down even if it means a couple of extra years before he can possibly build something.

I think turning the coach and GM roles over to a 73-year old Bill Belichick, who has a losing record when Brady isn't his QB and who hasn't been a good drafter in close to a decade, would be a terrible idea.  But it feels like the big panic move Mara might make in 2025.  Especially because nobody else is going to want this fucking job.

It could inspire the fans for a year or two (Washington under Snyder basically did this with bringing Joe Gibbs back), which if the apathy really sets in this year as you suspect might be the overall deciding factor.

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

With the Bears winning, Caleb Williams became the first No. 1 pick to win in Week 1 of his rookie year since David Carr in 2001. Mad stat.

Even more mad when you consider David Carr won like only eleven games in his career after that. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Forky said:

We still got time! 😩 I did not expect us to have this much trouble with this NE team. Both Burrows and Chase need to wake the hell up because this is kinda sad!

The Bengals are notoriously slow starters. 1-4 on Week 1 under Taylor. They also played with no Higgins and Chase did not do a single thing in preseason because he's pissing and moaning that he didn't get a new contract yet.

3 hours ago, Szumi said:

The Bengals are notoriously slow starters. 1-4 on Week 1 under Taylor. They also played with no Higgins and Chase did not do a single thing in preseason because he's pissing and moaning that he didn't get a new contract yet.

Well if they'd gone any slower in this game, they'd have been going backwards. Hopefully Burrows flexing his wrist is just a nervous tic because him going out again is going to be devestating.

I'm honestly not sure I've seen a worse game tape than what Jones did yesterday.

I don't think the comment on this actually tells the story with a play.  The real issue is this is a basic RPO.  He's meant to read the defense.  If the LBs crash, he hands off to Singletary.  If they don't, he throws the screen.  You can see the LBs run in and, had he handed it to Singletary, they might've had a decent run play.  Instead he throws the botched screen.  Jones didn't read the defense.  He didn't even attempt to.  He simply pre-determined what he was gonna do with the ball which is the exact opposite of how this play is designed.

Then this one.  Clean pocket.  You can't see Wan'Dale Robinson but he's alone in the corner of the end zone bottom left.  Nabers basically works himself open down there too.  He never looks at either of them.  He throws it into triple coverage for a pick.  To the only guy he ever looked at.  That's something Jones has always done - he doesn't go through progressions, he stares down the guy he's already decided to throw to instead of reading the play.

Speaking of pockets, here's how PFF breaks down who was responsible for all of the Giants' pressures yesterday:

OL:  55.6%
Daniel Jones:  38.9%
Other (presumably blocking RB, TE, or WR):  5.5%

For reference - a 55.6% responsibility rate for the OL is 2nd lowest in the NFL.  Which is to say that on most teams the OL are responsible for far and away the majority of allowed pressures.  In other words, they are more than doing their jobs and Jones is causing 40% of the pressures himself, often by running himself into it when he abandons a pass play.

-----

Sorry to just go on but it's legitimately baffling that he can be this bad.  I'm not a Jones truther and had low expectations, of course I knew he was overpaid off of putting together the best game of his career in the playoffs.  But I thought maybe, just maybe, he could be respectable as he was in 2022.  Nobody they'd win a Super Bowl with but at least someone serviceable.  That's a low bar for someone being paid what he is, but it's something.  Instead he's regressed to being a rookie.  Maybe even worse, he didn't even look this bad in his rookie year.

He cannot read a defense, doesn't trust himself to throw the ball deep, and consistently thinks he only has two seconds before he has to take off and run.  He does not appear to be mentally capable of being an NFL QB. 

Everyone in the league is openly shitting on him (just look at Twitter, forget fans ripping him - players are actively laugh at him and call him trash).  And honestly, he deserves it.  He's being paid $40 million to be a QB who looks worse than a lot of teams' 3rd string QBs.  Players around the league are going to resent him for it, and it's probably only a matter of time before his own locker room completely turns on him.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and I'm sure he's trying his best.  I'm sure it doesn't feel great to be booed in the parking lot after a game.  But it doesn't matter.  The guy has torpedoed this franchise and he's probably got two more starts max to get a win before the plug is finally pulled for good.  I cannot fathom a scenario where this team trots him out there at 0-3 for a Thursday night home game against Dallas.  MetLife will be 50,000 Dallas fans in week 4.

• Sad 1