2024 Paris Paralympics

Meanwhile, I pulled a muscle picking up a case of water :(

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Silver medal for Tom Daley, who was somehow competing in his fifth Olympics at the age of 30.

He was getting interviewed the other day talking about wanting to win a medal in front of his husband and kids, at which point I did a double take because surely he's about 15 still...

• Like 2

They're both past their primes - Rafa especially - but man I'm so pumped to watch what's probably their last big match against each other. Record breaking 60th match vs each other, 30-29 to Djokovic. That's crazy parity against two of the greatest players ever. Really hoping the red clay gives Rafa the magic one last time!

28 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

It's a gold that maintains Great Britain's streak of winning a gold at every single summer Olympics, the only country to have done so. 

The 1980 boycott I know prevents the US from laying claim to that. I don't think it affects any other nation who participated in the boycotts. Germany missed out on participating in multiple games. Somewhat surprised France haven't managed it.

1 hour ago, gunnar hendershow said:

The 1980 boycott I know prevents the US from laying claim to that. I don't think it affects any other nation who participated in the boycotts. Germany missed out on participating in multiple games. Somewhat surprised France haven't managed it.

They've missed out twice - once in 1904 when they only sent one athlete, who was actually a French immigrant living in the USA, who were hosting. Albert Corey won silver in the infamous 1904 marathon, which saw original winner Frederick Lorz being disqualified for taking a taxi, the actual winner almost dying after being administered brandy, raw eggs and strychnine by his trainers (he was hallucinating by the end and had to be helped across the line) and fourth place finisher Andarin Carvajal taking a nap during the race after eating spoiled apples.

The second time was in 1960, where 238 French athletes only managed to bring home 2 silvers and 3 bronzes.

• Like 1

Highlights from the "stupid shit I'm going to pretend I understand" today...

Huang Yuting finally proves to the world she is human as she had to settle for silver in the 10m rifle... after it went to a shoot out between her and the Korean girl who grabs it by .1 of a point. What a pair of machines they were!

Team GB once again prove that if there's a sport we can sit down in, we can get gold medals (there will be more but at this point might as well live the stereotype).

A ridiculous bit of late heroics in the mens skateboarding steals the US 1-2 from out of nowhere.

As I type, Japan also win the mens team gymnastics which puts them top of the medal table.

It perhaps didn't need proving, but Giannis and Greece are proof that having one mega-star player on a team isn't enough in international basketball. Jokic and Serbia might be the same.

19 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

It perhaps didn't need proving, but Giannis and Greece are proof that having one mega-star player on a team isn't enough in international basketball. Jokic and Serbia might be the same.

The only team that I think can give the US a run is Canada. France has some depth but not enough.