2024 Paris Paralympics

Michael Johnson on BBC just said that people down the river had regular bits where they were seeing nothing. Designed for tv whereas a stadium crowd would have seen the lot.

You could probably make a reasonably good highlights video out of that ceremony. They tried something different and it probably didn't work as well as they'd hoped, but it had its moments.

Anyway, bring on the sports.

• Like 1

ok so I've never heard of them before tonight but I watched Gojira perform and it was fucking awesome

Team GB pick up their first medal of the games, an Australian girl slipped off the board to give them a bronze (expert comment "she doesn't normally do that!") in the womens synchronised diving. I've been forced to cave in and get Discovery+ to keep up to date on everything. 

1 hour ago, lanky316 said:

Team GB pick up their first medal of the games, an Australian girl slipped off the board to give them a bronze (expert comment "she doesn't normally do that!") in the womens synchronised diving. I've been forced to cave in and get Discovery+ to keep up to date on everything. 

I think I may have to as well. The Beeb seem to be fixated on cycling, rowing and swimming for the whole weekend.

• Sad 1

well that opening ceremony was a bloody bore. It really highlights what an anomaly the thing that Danny Boyle et al pulled off in 2012 was in that it was actually good.

Also, for a country that has a very rich culture that also pretends to be heavily anti-American (despite having a population that is addicted to McDonalds) this was quite a display of American cultural imperialism.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Peacock could not be more obtuse to navigate if it tried. I guess at least they know most people want to watch the American star athletes so they've put that in their main coverage, but trying to figure out the other sports and what's on when is a nightmare.

Do it by sport. It's been easy to find out when stuff is on for it. That's been the easiest for us to navigate.

Japan v Croatia in men's handball was absolutely amazing to watch.. Highlight of the morning.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Szumi said:

Do it by sport. It's been easy to find out when stuff is on for it. That's been the easiest for us to navigate.

Japan v Croatia in men's handball was absolutely amazing to watch.. Highlight of the morning.

You're right. That is exactly what I need.

Gold Zone is pretty fun to watch, lot of bouncing around so I get the fix of all the Olympic sports I only see once every 4 years.

1 hour ago, Szumi said:

I feel like Handball is the game I would most like to be able to play, it accentuates all the strengths I had from playing cricket, but it's basically non-existent in the UK.

Meanwhile I turned on the France/Brazil basketball to see Rudy Gobert getting dunked on from an alley-oop and started having nightmarish flashbacks to the NBA playoffs.