2024 Paris Paralympics

Having seen the video, my equestrian expert source says that she has seen this sort of thing before; if a horse is tentative about jumping over fences then there are trainers that will whip the horses legs to make them "more comfortable" at the concept of jumping, essentially by triggering a pain reflex if they don't.

It is certainly not, as Dujardin put it, "an error of judgement" because you don't pick up (or even own) a whip that long by accident, and to be that comfortable and accurate using such a large whip strongly suggests it was not an isolated incident.

On the plus side, I disagree with my mum about a lot of horsey things (fox hunting, treatment of racehorses, the inherent class bias) but even she thinks that this is disgusting, and never let anyone do this to any of her horses.

• Thanks 3

• Admin

The football tournament starts today; Eurosport are broadcasting it.

Reminder: Discovery are the rights holders in the UK now (BBC leases it back from them) and the most efficient way to be across all of the Games, is to take out a Discovery+ trial for the month and use their Player app to watch virtually anything you want, through there.

Spoiler

Eurosport is owned by Discovery now.

38 minutes ago, Lineker said:

The football tournament starts today; Eurosport are broadcasting it.

Reminder: Discovery are the rights holders in the UK now (BBC leases it back from them) and the most efficient way to be across all of the Games, is to take out a Discovery+ trial for the month and use their Player app to watch virtually anything you want, through there.

Reveal hidden contents

I've just had a look as I was interested, and from what I can see Discovery+ have changed it to only a week's free trial, instead of a month. With so much taking place between 10am and 6pm when I'm at work I don't think I can justify a month's price for a week's viewing.

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I've just had a look as I was interested, and from what I can see Discovery+ have changed it to only a week's free trial, instead of a month. With so much taking place between 10am and 6pm when I'm at work I don't think I can justify a month's price for a week's viewing.

Sneaky, Discovery! They learned from the last Games, clearly.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Having seen the video, my equestrian expert source says that she has seen this sort of thing before; if a horse is tentative about jumping over fences then there are trainers that will whip the horses legs to make them "more comfortable" at the concept of jumping, essentially by triggering a pain reflex if they don't.

It is certainly not, as Dujardin put it, "an error of judgement" because you don't pick up (or even own) a whip that long by accident, and to be that comfortable and accurate using such a large whip strongly suggests it was not an isolated incident.

On the plus side, I disagree with my mum about a lot of horsey things (fox hunting, treatment of racehorses, the inherent class bias) but even she thinks that this is disgusting, and never let anyone do this to any of her horses.

I reckon Olympic football should do something similar to Rugby 7s. 

Have a 7 a side football game, same length of pitch and shorter halves

3 hours ago, Colly said:

I mean people slate England fans a lot, but Salt Lake City claiming to be the home of the Olympics feels a stretch. Modern or ancient.

I mean, I'm not aware of Salt Lake City having people focusing more on getting a bag in, drinking shite lager and sticking flares up their hoop. 

I could be wrong....

• Like 1

There's an offer on Discovery's site for £3.99 per month, instead of £6.99. Whilst it doesn't include TNT Sports etc it does, apparently, include the Olympics coverage. 

Getting the Olympics back here in Utah has been a big deal for quite a number of years. There was 2,000 people in SLC at 3 AM today just to hear the announcement. There has been a massive focus to make our towns a winter destination for sports, and hosting the Winter Olympics for a second time helps majority with that.

Personally, I would be happier with the summer Olympics. I would like to attend a few of those events.

• Like 1

It's been a few years since we saw a post tournament rush on players (remember the good old days of half of Senegal suddenly coming to the Premier League?) but I reckon there's a load of League 2 sides rubbing their hands with glee after watching that.

• Haha 3