What's a song you want to share today?

Benji

Different to what are you listening to, don't post links, just post the song and artist name plus a bit of blurb to try and get people to listen. Limit it to one a day. Hopefully over time we get a cool bit of shared music going.

Today I will suggest "The Blob" by PVRIS and Lights. It's an infectiously anthemic alt-pop jam that will hopefully get you vibing along with it from the early going.

"I Don't Wanna Live The Wrong Life And Then Die" with Marta Sanchez on piano, Chris Tordini on bass, but especially Savannah Harris on drums has been one of my favorite pieces to put on while I'm reading or otherwise just want to listen to something without lyrics. I adore Harris's frantic drumming. The whole album the trio put out earlier this year is good, but this song is first and probably my favorite of the lot. 

• Like 1

I finally listened to one of Neil Young's most infamous albums from his '80s flop era, Trans, because I want to take in as much of his discography as I can before I go see him live for the second time in a month. In it he basically heavily experiments with vocoders and synths and that's about as weird a detour for Neil Young as you might expect. Some of the album I really don't like ("Computer Age" just sounds like a knockoff Kraftwerk song to me) but a lot of it I'm pretty fascinated by.

The one I want to specifically want to share is "We R In Control." The lyrics and message (computers and automated systems are increasingly running everything and will soon control the world) are so thuddingly simple and obvious that you could pitch this to me as another song that ended up in an '80s animated movie (like how Lou Reed performed a villain song in one); hell, if you told me that it was written for The Brave Little Toaster  and got rejected in favor of "Cutting Edge" I'd completely buy it. It lives in that same "boomer rock icon responds to the onset of the '80s in ways that will either amaze or repulse you" space as Paul McCartney's "Temporary Secretary," another song I've grown to really love. The only real giveaways that it's Neil Young are a) his obvious, on-the-nose contempt for the subject matter and b) the guitar work, which I like a lot.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I finally listened to one of Neil Young's most infamous albums from his '80s flop era, Trans, because I want to take in as much of his discography as I can before I go see him live for the second time in a month. In it he basically heavily experiments with vocoders and synths and that's about as weird a detour for Neil Young as you might expect. Some of the album I really don't like ("Computer Age" just sounds like a knockoff Kraftwerk song to me) but a lot of it I'm pretty fascinated by.

The one I want to specifically want to share is "We R In Control." The lyrics and message (computers and automated systems are increasingly running everything and will soon control the world) are so thuddingly simple and obvious that you could pitch this to me as another song that ended up in an '80s animated movie (like how Lou Reed performed a villain song in one); hell, if you told me that it was written for The Brave Little Toaster  and got rejected in favor of "Cutting Edge" I'd completely buy it. It lives in that same "boomer rock icon responds to the onset of the '80s in ways that will either amaze or repulse you" space as Paul McCartney's "Temporary Secretary," another song I've grown to really love. The only real giveaways that it's Neil Young are a) his obvious, on-the-nose contempt for the subject matter and b) the guitar work, which I like a lot.

Ive always liked Trans. The whole thing really shifts in your perspective when you learn its part inspired by Young's attempts to communicate with his Ben, who has severe cerebral palsy.

• Like 2

This song is so alarming and hard hitting. It starts off straight as a duet of husband, Alan and Mimi only slightly having their vocals altered. Over 5 minutes their vocals pulsate, disintegrate, wrap around you. It's at times repulsive. Moments later it turns to beauty. In the context of their lives, the song becomes even more brutal. Mimi was diagnosed cancer a year before the album was released. A year after it she has passed away. To me it stands as a beautiful monument to their love. They will never be complete again. Death and loss is ugly. The end of the song is beautiful, if not odd. It's unlike what came before it.  I think this is the best analogy for loss. 

I love the internet because you can find out through someone that Beyonce did a song over a quasi-Midwest Emo instrumental back in 2008. It genuinely sounds like a mash-up someone would make on TikTok in their spare time.

I do appreciate it when someone finds something atypical of an artist buried deep in an album.

• Like 1

I know this songs focal point is New York, but it's really about the memories and associations we've created in a city. We all have been in a town, a scene, a group of friends where people navigate away and you look around with a tear in your eye wondering where everyone went. St. Vincent paints a complicated and opaque scene that you don't really understand, but we can compare and contrast with our own lives. "You had to be there". Any time I'm feeling nostalgic about old friends I put this one on. 

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Stop cheating! :@

Benji. You expect me to READ?!

• Haha 1

Melin Melyn - Rebecca 

MM (Welsh for 'Yellow Mill') are a band from Cardiff that I've seen twice, and they've killed it on both occasions. They're a bit surf rock, bit psychedelic, bit folk/country in parts. If you like the Super Furry Animals then you'll like them.

"Rebecca" references the Rebecca Riots in 19th century Wales when male peasants dressed as women and destroyed the toll gates imposed on them by landowners. It's a raucous rock track about coming for the rich. Fun!

Nirvana - All Apologies 

I think my experience with Nirvana may be atypical. My dad loves punk, grunge, some classic rock. Growing up, it was the norm to hear Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. I have heard Nevermind and Ten more times than I care to remember. When I came to rebel in my teen years, it was to music my dad didn't like. He hated pop punk - I loved Blink 182. He hated disco - I listened to Donna Summers and the Bee Gees. He hated electronic music - it was all Daft Punk, Basement Jaxx and Chemical Brothers. 

There was a time in my life I would have likely declared Nirvana overrated. I might have even called them bad. I might have even done so on this message board. Boy was I wrong. My dad loves Nirvana but really just Nevermind. He hated In Utero. As a 38 year old, I can hear why. It is rock music and still embracing the pop melodies with the same fuzz and aggression on Nevermind. But there are just little flourishes that were just so ahead of their time. 

All Apologies is a great example. It takes some real of the time elements - the strings, the guitar riffs and melodies in general are pure 90s. But there are elements so out of step. The mixing at the end of the track is insane. The way it becomes garbled noise, almost feeling like an experimental track, resembling ambient noise. The drums are insane. The drums are insane across In Utero. Both in terms of skill but also how precise and crisp the drums sound. At times they hit so hard if feels like a gun shot. It reminds me of the drums on later Nine Inch Nails. Kurt Cobains delivery walks the perfect line between meandering and holding it together. 

• Like 1

Peyton Parrish - Draugr. Its a metal song that's sort of a Viking battle song, and part of it is in Old Norse. If you don't listen, may your village be raided by Trump supporters who replace all the songs on your play list with ABBA, Yanni and Barry Manilow.

The Hu - Bosoo Huh Mongol

The HU are just this great mix of Mongolian folk music and metal.  Best song is Yuve Yuve Yu

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2024 at 04:59, Lint said:

The Hu - Bosoo Huh Mongol

The HU are just this great mix of Mongolian folk music and metal.  Best song is Yuve Yuve Yu

What do you think of the version of Wolf Totem with Jacoby Shaddix? 

On 14/07/2024 at 17:04, GhostMachine said:

What do you think of the version of Wolf Totem with Jacoby Shaddix? 

Honestly I like it.  I've always had a soft spot for Papa Roach, and in the video he has this real "I'm just hyped to be here" energy

• Like 1