Premier League 2024/25

Ignore that is Romano but Maresca saying it's not a mess then describing it as something that sounds a mess is kinda funny

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Adam said:

A whole squad's worth "training apart" is a mess no matter how you look at it, so he's either in denial or being obtuse on purpose. Can see why the owners hired him in that case.

The fact he says he doesn't care if he has 20 extra players on 20 year contracts he will never pay attention to is the worst part I think.

Yeah, he isn't a businessman, he is a manager. He'll choose the players he wants to use and doesn't necessarily have to worry about the rest of them if he chooses not to. Probably the best way to handle the ridiculousness of the situation rather than try and balance the egos of 40 odd players.

In fairness, the great big lists of 40+ Chelsea players are in the habit of including firmly U21 squad players who would never be counted in any club's squad lists if we weren't playing the "lol look at this madness" game. Plus a couple who have already had loans/sales arranged, but that's just because these things move fast.

But you still have Kepa, Lukaku, Chalobah etc. who constitute an absurdly large contingent of senior players who are meant to be "on their way out". They've given themselves a massive task of actually selling them before the window closes, not helped by their newfound habit of partnering every sale with a new signing...

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

In fairness, the great big lists of 40+ Chelsea players are in the habit of including firmly U21 squad players who would never be counted in any club's squad lists if we weren't playing the "lol look at this madness" game.

It's always been something journalists have done when they're trying to push a certain agenda. I used to get tired of seeing lists like 'Look at this list of FLOPS signed by Benitez!" which would be made up almost entirely of players signed at like 18 for a few hundred grand.

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Yeah, he isn't a businessman, he is a manager. He'll choose the players he wants to use and doesn't necessarily have to worry about the rest of them if he chooses not to. Probably the best way to handle the ridiculousness of the situation rather than try and balance the egos of 40 odd players.

The thing is, these are still personalities he and the club have to manage. What if one of the alienated group has to be reintegrated after they can't be sold and the chosen 20 have injuries?

It also begs the question of why teams would come in offering big fees for players known to be both cast aside by the club and dismissed by the manager.

• Like 2

Chelsea aren’t getting favorable fees for any of those exiled players. It’s a staggering approach to running a football club. 

January will come and you’ll probably see the same nonsense and then all over again in the summer. Don’t Chelsea already have five or six joining next summer??

Neto arrived at the club, played one game with the shirt number 19, and now they've announced he's switching to 7 (Sterling's number).

Lmao-fucking-nade.

I assume this chaotic pettiness is all to persuade Sterling to accept a transfer in the next, uh, nine days? Is any club even interested??

Jesus Christ. 😂

• Haha 1

Felix has taken Chalobah’s number as well as if he wasn’t sure if the club wanted to keep him or not.

24 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Neto arrived at the club, played one game with the shirt number 19, and now they've announced he's switching to 7 (Sterling's number).

Lmao-fucking-nade.

I assume this chaotic pettiness is all to persuade Sterling to accept a transfer in the next, uh, nine days? Is any club even interested??

Jesus Christ. 😂

Honestly, if we could somehow negotiate a loan deal for him where it’s on our terms I don’t think I would complain too much.

Sterling's won everything there is to win at club level aside from the Champions League (clubs win it just before he arrives or after he leaves), so there's really nothing left for him to prove or do. I'd be tempted to just sit at home and let Chelsea pay his reportedly £285k a week wages until whenever his contract runs out.

7 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Sterling's won everything there is to win at club level aside from the Champions League (clubs win it just before he arrives or after he leaves), so there's really nothing left for him to prove or do. I'd be tempted to just sit at home and let Chelsea pay his reportedly £285k a week wages until whenever his contract runs out.

Three years, £44million quid? I’d do a Bogarde if I was him. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Awful for the people subjected to his behaviour, but fucking tremendous for those of us who didn't want to be subjected to his shit punditry for the next 20 years.

• Like 7

Aye, good riddance. Always came off as a clueless, arrogant tosser.

Obviously it pales in comparison to whatever he's done here and whoever he subjected to it, but Jenas is one I think a lot of people felt was not deserving of his spot.