Premier League 2024/25

Not if its like last season, which started about 5 weeks before the end. I'll join this, I can never handle the effort of the the main one but this feels daft enough.

I hate these modern fantasy football games. I miss the old days when you’d fill out your form and post it to the newspaper at the start of the season and forget about it. All of this upkeep they make you do these days is extremely tedious.

And this is why I finished bottom of the EWB fantasy league the last few years despite picking the best original team.

Wouldn't you have been a toddler in those days? I can barely remember that and I'm very old.

Do agree though, the main FPL one I start occasionally and get bored 3 weeks in.

Not that young! I have fairly vivid memories of picking my 99/00 team for the Telegraph fantasy league and I’d be eight years old at the time. 

And then I’d do my Scottish team in the Glasgow Herald. Those were the days.

The key to staying invested in FPL is playing with people you see regularly. The work one I'm in is really good cos more than half a dozen of us keep it up and talk about in the office etc. 

Probably helps that my other half is obsessed with it despite not liking football.

I won a few work fantasy leagues in the late 00s (one that sticks out is when I was the only person who understood that Fernando Torres might be a decent player), but it was a newspaper one that had restricted transfer windows.

The constant attention required for the modern ones is too much for me to deal with, both in terms of time, and having the requisite knowledge to make the best changes.

It's just too many transfers, instead of it being picking a side and seeing how it does it's changes every week so that by 2 months in everyone has pretty much the same side. I liked the limited transfer windows some of the newspaper ones used to have, the FPL one just doesn't appeal.

I do like the draft which is what we do now (for cash, I'm a 2 time champ in the last 5, should have made it 3 last year...), and the Challenge feels like a nice daft one, but I can't be arsed with the main one.

• Like 1

My problem with FPL was always having to reconcile wanting Chelsea to win with silly things like "oh but hopefully they only win 1-0 so that I don't lose too many points on opposing defender X" and so on. It felt like combining the two forms of competition made both less enjoyable as a result.

But hey, I'll be able to give it another go unhindered when Chelsea get relegated in a year or two.

• Sad 1

Sure am looking forward to the season starting next week with a portacabin blocking a big chunk of my stand. I want this to be some kind of hilarious beef.

Can't see this being a fucking disaster whatsoever. Also, once again the tv audience prioritised over match goers, can barely get a score update at Newcastle never mind access Twitter.

In other news Troy Deeney has taken over Garth Crooks team of the week, so we can expect similar levels of nonsense.

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Mentions of cojones going up by about 400%.

He legitimately said several times in his introductory article that he'd be making selections based on "bravery" and "fearlessness on the ball" so yes, it will still be stupid.

For those interested...

I can't quite believe Garth Crooks was still doing it until now. He feels like a relic of the pre-social media age of football punditry.