Premier League 2024/25

1 minute ago, Szumi said:

There's definitely going to be a lot of people furious about the second yellow card for Trossard, already seeing it just on the NBC broadcast alone. But Trossard comes purposely flying into the back of Silva while knowing he's never going to even challenge for the ball. It is a reckless foul that yields a direct kick. That is the very definition of an unsporting behavior yellow card.

The problem people are going to have isn't the fact that yes, Trossard committed a stupid foul, for the reasons you've stated there are correct but the issue is that it isn't applied across the board. Haaland went flying into Saliba early on with no chance of getting the ball but that's fine. Doku kicked the ball away after the whistle, but never mind letter of the law anymore, doesn't apply here.

I'm not trying to say Arsenal have never done anything wrong ever but when you see other teams do the same thing in the literal same match and get nothing I think it's bullshit.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Baddar said:

2nd yellow was for booting the ball away.

Found that out right as you were posting this! NBC broadcast only just said the reasoning for it.

1 minute ago, Kaney said:

The problem people are going to have isn't the fact that yes, Trossard committed a stupid foul, for the reasons you've stated there are correct but the issue is that it isn't applied across the board. Haaland went flying into Saliba early on with no chance of getting the ball but that's fine. Doku kicked the ball away after the whistle, but never mind letter of the law anymore, doesn't apply here.

I'm not trying to say Arsenal have never done anything wrong ever but when you see other teams do the same thing in the literal same match and get nothing I think it's bullshit.

You're not wrong at all! The Halaand one especially should have been a yellow card. "Well it was so early in the match" shouldn't be an excuse.

The thing is though that all professional footballers should know they need to be careful when they've already been booked. Trossard commits an obvious foul so he can't argue he's not expecting a whistle, and he just hoofs the ball away so he's not even making it look like he's just trying to play on. Maybe Arteta should actually have a word with his players given that's twice this season?

• Like 1

Having watched the highlights on MotD they make a really good point on Doku that the ref was saying to move the ball back so Doku wasn't kicking the ball away instead following the ref's instructions, however I do agree for the Calafori goal that he made a rough call not giving Walker time to get back after asking him to come over for a word.  Equally Arsenal had chances to score a third before the Trossard sending off so they could have put the game even more in their favour, I feel like in the end neither team came out innocent and the draw felt like a fair result.

The Doku thing is a complete false equivalence, as is Haaland on Saliba for me (it's physical but nothing more, Trossard was booked for an obvious pull back).

The Walker thing is a weird one, where the ref is fucked at the point where he allows it to be taken. If he blows immediately he saves it, without that there's nothing he can do. Poor from him, but just another consequence of adding more and more silly laws for refs to remember the outcomes of. If only the captain can talk to the ref that will inevitably delay play, and Pep's comment about his captain no longer going to the ref is something I actually agree with if this is the result.