Premier League 2024/25

On 31/08/2024 at 16:57, DavidMarrio said:

Everton are a social experiment as to how much shite and suffering it can put its fans through

It's truer every week. 

That Duran goal was a stormer 

After personally having a few months of inconsistency and unpredictable events, this is at least something I am very much used to. And the sadness those events have caused have at least made me numb to this result.

We seriously need to learn how to score some goals.

Honestly with no Europe (and that stupid injury record last season) I'd be annoyed if we didn't finish top 4. I stuck an each way on to win the league at the start of the season so we definitely won't finish top 2.

12 hours ago, Colly said:

Honestly with no Europe (and that stupid injury record last season) I'd be annoyed if we didn't finish top 4. I stuck an each way on to win the league at the start of the season so we definitely won't finish top 2.

Really?

There are some good players at Newcastle and you have spent a lot of money assembling a squad in the last few windows, but given the likelihood of the top 3 being the same as last season (City, Arsenal, Liverpool) do you really believe Newcastle to be "best of the rest?"

• Like 1

Yeah, Man Utd and Chelsea are basket cases and will inevitably implode, Angey P is tactically and defensively naive, Villa will wilt under the European workload like we did last season and everyone else is mid to awful.

• Like 1

Just now, Gazz said:

Yeah, Man Utd and Chelsea are basket cases and will inevitably implode, Angey P is tactically and defensively naive, Villa will wilt under the European workload like we did last season and everyone else is mid to awful.

And you don't think your defence is a car crash waiting to happen?

I also think Brighton look like they could do something (again) this season.

• Like 1

Not really sure where the issue is with our defence? Hall's looked shaky so I wouldn't be too surprised to see Trippier back and some reshuffling, but we're doing alright considering our best CB is injured and the other missed 3.5 games with a ban.

Still definitely playing below standard but plenty to build on.

I don't know if I'd say a top 4 finish is what I expect, but I certainly would be disappointed to not be in Europe next year. Given the uncertainty outside of the top 3, I do think 4th is a distinct possibility though. Especially should things be in more order for the January window.

1 hour ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I don't know if I'd say a top 4 finish is what I expect, but I certainly would be disappointed to not be in Europe next year. Given the uncertainty outside of the top 3, I do think 4th is a distinct possibility though. Especially should things be in more order for the January window.

I agree 4th is more than a possibility for Newcastle, but I do think there are other teams who are also in the mix for 4th

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Not really sure where the issue is with our defence? Hall's looked shaky so I wouldn't be too surprised to see Trippier back and some reshuffling, but we're doing alright considering our best CB is injured and the other missed 3.5 games with a ban.

Still definitely playing below standard but plenty to build on.

Your defence has Schar and Burn as first choice right now due to the injuries, and I think that is gonna be found out eventually as much as I think both are good players, I think the lack of a signing in central defence in the summer could be the difference between Newcastle finishing 4th or not by the time we get to May.

• Like 2

Honestly disagree massively with that unless we get another injury. With all the talk of Guehi while at that price he'd undoubtedly have come straight in (though likely in place of Burn at first in Botman's absence), it was definitely a signing for the long term, he certainly wouldn't have been a massive upgrade. Schar is playing some of the best football of his career and is only 32, with the added bonus that he just retired from international football. Burn is perfectly good enough until Botman is fit.