Euro 2024 Prediction Competition

One suggestion for future prediction competitions, unless you really don't want to change anything because you already have it in such a way that is easy to add up all the points or something like that, would be to give extra points (somewhere between winner and perfect score) to those who get the goal difference.

Example (with random points, just to explain my point)

A vs B ends 4-1.

Bet 1 is 4-1 = 5 points (perfect score)

Bet 2 is 3-0 = 3 points (guessed how close (or not) the game was going to be)

Bet 3 is 1-0 = 1 point (guessed who would win it but not how close it would be)

Bet 4 is 0-4 = 0 points (has no clue about the sport)

We've been doing this one literally since I was at school (albeit without the fancy spreadsheet) and we do keep toying with scoring changes (the 3 point draws for example), though oddly goal difference hadn't come up despite various much shitter ideas appearing. It's a decent shout and I'm willing to try for the World Cup. Probably keep 2 points for a result though.

the number of points was just an example as I said because I honestly don't even know how many points we get from each column :D but my suggestion wouldn't be adding any new rank/columns to it.

It would just be replacing "draws" with right difference. A draw is a 0 goal difference. It's already there and I wouldn't be taking it off. I would just be rewarding guessing the goal difference in any case you get it right and not just when you get 0 which is what happens currently.

It's exactly the same otherwise.

But I understand if people are happy enough with the current set of rules.

I support any scoring change that makes it easier for me to win and oppose any that makes it harder for me to win.

Though in seriousness that points differences proposal is a nice one. I could also go with having 3 goalscorers and we get the combined total - would make it a bit more beneficial to consider less heralded strikers that may be on teams making deep runs.

10 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Welp...

Had you not had that Belgium game you were on for 6 points from the second round of fixtures. Genuinely impressive turnaround...

Screenshot-20240623-163126-Microsoft-365

Roff has done the opposite, massive run in the middle third. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Colly said:

Had you not had that Belgium game you were on for 6 points from the second round of fixtures. Genuinely impressive turnaround...

Screenshot-20240623-163126-Microsoft-365

Roff has done the opposite, massive run in the middle third. 

Welp really impressed with that lucky second round of games, lets see how the third plays out but today was not a good start

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Screenshot-20240627-123145-Microsoft-365

End of the groups update. I'd normally start doing permutations around now, but it's far too tight at the top, loads still in it.

I dont know how im still on top, with that horrible third set of games

How am I still third? 

Anyway, the only points left are the goalscorers, semi finalists and winner right? I don't think I stand much of a chance there, considering I already lost one of them. However, at least my 3 remaining teams won't meet before the semis, which is good I guess.