Summer Transfer Window 2024

4 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

And just like Michael Owen, he's a fundamentally broken player who has been overplayed to the point where he's got the same number of Premier League minutes at 29 as the average 35 year old.

For comparison's sake, at Saka's age, Sterling had played 500 minutes more than Saka has, and everyone's pretty much in agreement that Arsenal (and England) are running Saka into the ground.

I'm not sure I'm following that stat, is that total appearances by the age of 22, and is it based on seasons or actual birthday? My brain just melted.

Liverpool are just about finished up signing Chiesa for €13m. It's an absolute steal of a fee, but there's definitely questions about his injuries, wages, and where in the heck he's actually going to play, since he's a left footed RW. With a fee that low, worth the flier.

Just now, Szumi said:

Liverpool are just about finished up signing Chiesa for €13m. It's an absolute steal of a fee, but there's definitely questions about his injuries, wages, and where in the heck he's actually going to play, since he's a left footed RW. With a fee that low, worth the gamble 

Reminds me of Shaqiri signing in a way. Proven quality signing at a low risk potential high reward for us. 

We need someone who can cover the right wing really. Elliott is wasted when he's on the right so if Chiesa can come in, play a squad rotation role it means Mo isn't going to get ran in the ground. 

Plus he played more league games than most of our squad did last season. 

Think it's worth a punt

3 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Reminds me of Shaqiri signing in a way. Proven quality signing at a low risk potential high reward for us. 

We need someone who can cover the right wing really. Elliott is wasted when he's on the right so if Chiesa can come in, play a squad rotation role it means Mo isn't going to get ran in the ground. 

Plus he played more league games than most of our squad did last season. 

Think it's worth a punt

Oh absolutely think it's worth it! This is a guy who three summers ago was being linked with €75m+ moves to the Premier League and Spanish giants. The fee being so small, it's worth it. He's definitely never been the same since tearing his ACL and keeps getting little small injuries, but it's been nothing more than 2 weeks at a time. If he's happy to take a rotation spot and ready to fight for minutes, this could be a really, really great signing.

24 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm not sure I'm following that stat, is that total appearances by the age of 22, and is it based on seasons or actual birthday? My brain just melted.

It's by number of minutes actually played by the age of 22, maybe 23. Minutes is a more useful indicator than appearances, for obvious reasons - Eddie Nketiah has 116 Premier League games but only 4,000 minutes, which works out to about 35 minutes a game, Saka has 172 games and 13,613 minutes, working out at just under 80 minutes per game.

Edit: Anthony Gordon has played just two more games than Eddie Nketiah, but has 3,500 more minutes.

Saka is probably going to suffer a steep drop off by the time he's the age of Sterling and probably even Marcus Rashford's age, who has 18,000 minutes at just under 70 minutes a game. Maybe he'll transition in midfield, like Giggs did, or maybe he'll have same kind of debilatating injuries that have hurt both Sterling and Rashford's performances.

10 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

It's by number of minutes actually played by the age of 22, maybe 23. Minutes is a more useful indicator than appearances, for obvious reasons - Eddie Nketiah has 116 Premier League games but only 4,000 minutes, which works out to about 35 minutes a game, Saka has 172 games and 13,613 minutes, working out at just under 80 minutes per game.

Edit: Anthony Gordon has played just two more games than Eddie Nketiah, but has 3,500 more minutes.

Saka is probably going to suffer a steep drop off by the time he's the age of Sterling and probably even Marcus Rashford's age, who has 18,000 minutes at just under 70 minutes a game. Maybe he'll transition in midfield, like Giggs did, or maybe he'll have same kind of debilatating injuries that have hurt both Sterling and Rashford's performances.

Raheem Sterling hasn't missed more than 1 month of action through injury since 2012/2013.

He's had 4 hamstring injuries in his whole career, but each one has only been 4 weeks at most. He's been one of the most fit players throughout his whole career. 22/23 was the first time since 17/18 he even missed more than a month cumulatively injured in a single season. The last time he played under 1,900 minutes in the Premier League was 2012/2013 as well. He's been ridiculously fit.

7 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

It still feels a bit rough and ready, are PL minutes really the metric for "he'll be knackered"? Did both break in at the same age, was one playing a load of reserve football which isn't counted etc etc. It's an odd one for me, I need full metadata...

Supposedly Man Utd are not only interested in that weird Sterling swap, but also buying Chilwell?

The last week of the transfer window is truly the home of lunatics.

Man Utd trying to acquire all the crippled English left backs...

I don't get how a move to United for Sterling makes sense when he's got stiff competition at left wing. 

Either it's a really bizarre move for both parties or it's a potential PSR diddle

7 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

or it's a potential PSR diddle

This, obviously. Assuming they're two "sales" rather than a single "swap", both clubs get to artificially boost their balance sheets in the short term.

I suppose also that at the very worst, bringing in a new player who you can sell the idea that they *might* get some minutes is marginally better than keeping the player you've already told *won't* be getting minutes. These are the thin margins of value we're trying to eke out here.

There's a lot of talk around of "oh hey maybe they can be convinced to sign on a lower salary" too, which seems a little bit of wishful thinking for either side.

20 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Man Utd trying to acquire all the crippled English left backs...

I don't get how a move to United for Sterling makes sense when he's got stiff competition at left wing. 

Either it's a really bizarre move for both parties or it's a potential PSR diddle

Maybe ETH sold Sterling on playing more as an out and out right winger again? I know he prefers the left, but playing consistent minutes on the right is better than not even being registered to play at all.

Southampton are trying to land Aaron Ramsdale now that Bijlow rejected them. Second Feyenoord player to reject a Premier League club in as many days after Gimenez turned down Forest.

1 hour ago, Plubby said:

My brain tried to read that as Liverpool are signing Chelsea 😵

Think of the matches!

In my head, whenever I hear Chiesa, I instantly think of his Dad. Enrico Chiesa was a pretty good signing on Ultimate Soccer Manager 2.

3 hours ago, Szumi said:

Liverpool are just about finished up signing Chiesa for €13m. It's an absolute steal of a fee, but there's definitely questions about his injuries, wages, and where in the heck he's actually going to play, since he's a left footed RW. With a fee that low, worth the flier.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but he's a right-footed LW primarily. He's my favourite player for Italy and I'm sad he's not going to Spurs like was constantly rumoured. £10m is an insanely low price too.