Summer Transfer Window 2024

7 hours ago, Colly said:

$$$$$$$$$

The funny thing about this is that one of the few things the Clearlake ownership have been clearly strict on is wages. They're big on the "a thousand incentives built on top of a less remarkable base salary" model... which, if the team continues to achieve basically nothing, I guess is a small blessing for their accounts.

So actually I don't really know what attracts players to Chelsea now, if other clubs will pay bigger wages. I guess when you're mainly signing teenagers with 6 career starts it hardly matters.

Chilwell has been a question mark for a while just on account of being injured and failing to find form. But now Maresca's come in with his "no real wing-backs please, we're inverting" philosophy, Chilwell would be on an even steeper uphill climb due to basically every other FB at the club having experience at inverting into DM and/or shifting into an LCB/RCB. I can see why he's losing out there, but it's another big name on the "GET OUT (oh god where can we find a buyer?)" list that so far the club is struggling to sort out, and behaving with increasing boorishness throughout.

It's going to be fun whenever the next manager with a different system comes in and we have to buy a bunch of 'proper' wing-backs again. 🙃

Chelsea seem to have pivoted to Felix because the other Atletico striker didn’t work out, and they need to give Atletico money so they can in turn sign Conor Gallagher.

What a remarkable way to run a football club. 

8 hours ago, Malenko said:

Does Chelsea really need to keep signing every active football player available in the market?

'Need' is a strong word. Really it's more of a deranged compulsion.

• Haha 1

Evidently they place more value on the accounting trickery of amortised spend vs. immediate sales than they do on [checks notes] making real money or even bringing in the kind of players the squad needs.

• Haha 2