Summer Transfer Window 2024

News started doing the rounds late last night that Brighton have activated a 40m release clause in Georgi Rutter's contract.

On the one hand, the idea of getting a return on investment for him, albeit a relatively small one, would have been seen as crazy 12-18 months ago but in the current climate this very much feels like the straw that broke the camels back for the fanbase for at least half a dozen reasons.

You could probably make a reasonable argument that it was moreso down to no one wanting to touch him after his headless chicken performances in the relegation season but he stayed last year when pretty much no one else did and went a long way to proving himself. In a team that is looking increasingly incapable of having that x-factor to help unlock defenses of teams that like to put 10 men behind the ball against us, he could have been the guy. And besides anything else, he just comes across as a very lovable guy that I think endeared himself massively to the fanbase so it's another kick in the pants after losing Archie and Summerville.

Yeah Brighton have made several head scratching transfers this summer, but this more than takes the cake. Rutter had a very respectable 21 G+A last year in the Championship, but only 6 goals in a league where Leeds were better than almost every team there for a guy who is still supposed to be a ST, is madness to me. I know he can play as a SS, which is where Joao Pedro prefers to play, or the RW, but just yeah, madness.

Kalvin Phillips is going on loan to Ipswich. Could be a great move for them if he finds out how to play football again, but that's a huge if.

5 minutes ago, Szumi said:

Kalvin Phillips is going on loan to Ipswich. Could be a great move for them if he finds out how to play football again, but that's a huge if.

Given that Ipswich look like a squad planning to compete in the Championship in 25-26 vs a team planning to stay up (this is so disappointingly pervasive with promoted clubs now), it's very much worth the risk for them.

I do not think he'll remember how to play though. There's always players like him who between having made a ton of money & been frustrated by injuries/lack of playing time, mentally coast. 

It feels like a big if but if they can get Kalvin to find 2020 Kalvin then it will be a huge get for them.

And on Rutter, unless they can get him doing finishing training for 8 hrs a day from the best strikers in history, he's not a striker. Creatively he was the leading light last year in various metrics, and that's taking into account him going off then boil for the last 2/3 months after his hernia. But in terms of finishing I think he's probably the worst, like a 5% conversion rate. Not sure what the average would be but I think Summerville was around 25%. I know it's all relative these days with transfer fees but for 40m I'd want a finished product whereas Georgi still seems a bit raw.

5 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Bournemouth might also be getting Liverpool to buy a player for them, if reports are to be believed about Mamardashvilli.

Plan would be him to go Bournemouth on loan for a year then him to come to us the following season as we can't sign him then loan him out. 

But the idea of our first signing under Richard Hughes being for Bournemouth is funny

• Like 1

We've loaned Jeserun Rak-Sakyi from Palace. Thought to be £2m flat fee plus up to £2m in add-ons/bonuses. That's quite a bit for a loan. 

Maresca has publicly called out Chilwell to find a new club and that he won't get minutes with Chelsea. Guess Cucarella has won the LB job for good now. Who would have thought that would be the case 12 months ago, when he was third choice and told by Poch to find a new club. Guess we know Chilwell will be first choice this time next year!

How are Chelsea treating players like this? It's ridiculous.

I read yesterday that they have Gallagher, Chalobah and Lukaku just training as a separate group with Carlo Cudicini. Unfair on them and a total waste of money and resource for the club. What will they do with this lot if they don't get sold by the end of August?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

How are Chelsea treating players like this? It's ridiculous.

I read yesterday that they have Gallagher, Chalobah and Lukaku just training as a separate group with Carlo Cudicini. Unfair on them and a total waste of money and resource for the club. What will they do with this lot if they don't get sold by the end of August?

Love them and tell them they're the prettiest footballers ever!

Gallagher will definitely be sold somewhere if Atleti falls through, and Chelsea will get desperate and get Lukaku to Napoli no matter what. Chalobah is the only question mark I think.