Summer Transfer Window 2024

Another £15m-£25m deal for a kid with [checks notes] three senior games to his name. I'm beginning to move past being "deeply concerned" about these transfers and am encroaching on "deeply suspicious".

In ten years time, Chelsea are either going to have a first team squad with 20 of the 30 best players in the world, or they're going to be in the Combined Counties league as a phoenix club.

• Sad 1

Was initially quite skeptical, but starting to think it makes a lot of sense. Mostly just trust Ange when it comes to transfers. It would be completely alien to have two good strikers at the club at the same time. 

• Like 1

In hindsight I'm disappointed we didn't get to rinse someone for 60m that year Bamford got 20 goals and an England cap.

9 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

In hindsight I'm disappointed we didn't get to rinse someone for 60m that year Bamford got 20 goals and an England cap.

and he probably should've just settled for playing for Ireland if he wanted to get any more international caps :shifty:

mistakes were made all around

Just now, Hobo said:

and he probably should've just settled for playing for Ireland if he wanted to get any more international caps :shifty:

mistakes were made all around

Back during Euro & Copa America (owing to the American players who could've instead tried to play for England or other countries) I was actually wondering what the Ireland squad would look like if everyone who tried to make it for England instead stuck with/played for Ireland all the way through.

Surely the team would be a major tournament mainstay, right?

19 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Back during Euro & Copa America (owing to the American players who could've instead tried to play for England or other countries) I was actually wondering what the Ireland squad would look like if everyone who tried to make it for England instead stuck with/played for Ireland all the way through.

For FM23 I made a database where if you had multiple nationalities I switched you to have been declared for the team ranked lower, Ireland had Kane, Rice, Grealish, Maddison and Coady.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Worked last time. 

04c6b06b3969b0e1e2d76de5f27c6242.jpg

18 minutes ago, Colly said:

Worked last time. 

04c6b06b3969b0e1e2d76de5f27c6242.jpg

Not to mention John Aldridge, Tony Cascarino, Mick McCarthy, Chris Hughton, Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy and more.

About 14 of the Italia 90 squad were born outside Ireland. 2002 World Cup is mostly Irish born players with a few English ones.

But Ireland can't develop players at home and relies mostly on English clubs to develop players picked up from Irish clubs. You don't get as many playing for top English teams anymore with competition from a much larger pool than you had up to the 90s  and the national team coaches seem pretty unable to convince anyone to do it. Jack Grealish and Declan Rice are two pretty big modern examples. Rice has 3 full Ireland caps but wasn't getting enough call-ups and England came knocking.

I assume this is where they ended up after they lowballed Olise.

At least he's not an immediate loanee (I hope!)

EDIT: Oh, joy. Another injury risk...

image.png

56 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Not to mention John Aldridge, Tony Cascarino, Mick McCarthy, Chris Hughton, Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy and more.

How dare you exclude Kent's most prominent Irishman, Andy Townsend?

Dani Olmo has signed for Barca for €60m, then stuck a €500m release clause in the contract. So if you think he's worth €500m, why are you only offering €60m?

• Admin

The general view on Neto from Wolves fans tends to be "great... when he plays". So it's a lot of money to spend for someone only available roughly 50% of the time.

Hope we do push on for Eze now.