Summer Transfer Window 2024

59 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Diaby is only 25, too, he's not like the rest where he's in the twilight of his career. 

I feel like we might see a bit more of this now Saint-Maximin has shown you can still come back to Europe afterwards (much as Axel Witsel did via China). Quick season or two at ridiculous pay to "safeguard" your future, then back out for your peak years.

Kante pretty much showed it doesn't kill your international chances (granted that Kante is superhuman) too.

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Ederson at least has the distinction to have won everything he can at Man City, I guess. According to reports, seems he wants the move. Haven't heard anything about who will replace him, either. Ortega to start?

Scott Carson, obviously

Happy with that one, it's a good fee for someone who wasn't an integral player. I just hope we reinvest that money wisely on the squad as we're still a few quality additions short of where I'd like to see us.

I do have to chuckle how American transfer guru Tom Bogert was flooded with replies on social media from Chelsea fans that they weren't buying Wiley, it was Strausburg directly buying him, Fabrizio said so, so it must be true. Shocking to say, the actual journalist was right the whole time.

ESPN reporting the fee for Hojbjerg is actually €20m when it's all said and done. Surprised Marseille forked over that much for a guy that was only a substitute now for Spurs who they very clearly wanted rid of. But considering who else Marseille brought in, wish they spent even more and end up in some FFP trouble.

3 hours ago, Szumi said:

I do have to chuckle how American transfer guru Tom Bogert was flooded with replies on social media from Chelsea fans that they weren't buying Wiley, it was Strausburg directly buying him

Weird distinction for them to get hung up on, even if it were true, given all indications that these multi-club groups just arrange internal transfers/loans as however suits them.

I can only presume those fans were eager to distance Chelsea from this transfer, perhaps in the hope of deflecting some of the mounting evidence that our transfer strategy is a crock of shit.

Exclusive story? Gianluca Di Marzio was reporting it a few days ago.

Anyway, another addition to boost our attacking options is no bad thing, we really need all the help we can get in that area of the pitch.

33 minutes ago, Hobo said:

"2006 born winger"

Just say 18 year old winger.

Been seeing a lot of this about. Unsure if it's a "wow players are born in the 21st century now" novelty that they're somehow still stuck on, or they're just decided to delegate the maths of working out their age to the reader.

• Like 1

Given all the rumours (aka leaks to client journalists) that Sanchez is going to be #1 goalkeeper again this season - despite him having done little to nothing to deserve such confidence - I have to presume that Jorgenson is being brought in to be the #2. Or you know, the #2 on paper who becomes #1 after the other guy spends half the season being shit and then crocks himself.

Which is exactly what happened with Petrovic, who is apparently going to be sold. What a good omen for Jorgenson that is.

I am really suspect of the decision-making of any club that buys two goalkeepers in the same summer, then one year later is buying another one. I say club, but I mean our co-Directors of Football, Winstanley and Stewart. But then maybe their orders from above are to build a squad like a stock portfolio rather than a team, so I can't really narrow my aspersions to just them.

This is without getting into player positions that aren't as straightforward as that of GK. I don't have a clue what they think they're doing anymore.

Meanwhile, Chelsea also dropping another £16m and a 7 year contract on Aaron Anselmino - a 19 year old CB who has less than 10 hours of senior football to his name (but that's okay, because he's being loaned straight back to Boca Juniors 🙃).

1 hour ago, Colly said:

John Ruddy

Or as Fabrizio Romano would call him "1986-born goalkeeper John Ruddy".