The Royals, who have seeing to play for, are resting their starters against the Braves.

The Padres, who have nothing to play for, are resting their starters against the D-Backs.

The Brewers, who also have nothing to play for, are playing their starters against the Mets.

Like I’ve said, the choke is inevitable.  Kinda just want Monday to be over and done with.

Since writing about fears of the Mets choking following winning 3 of 4 from Philly and entering the final week with a 2 game lead with 6 to play, the Mets have played 27 of the most non-competitive innings they have all season.

Very strong probability they'll need to win 1 or maybe even both games in Atlanta tomorrow which is just not gonna happen.  And I'm already feeling ill seeing bloggers rush to excuse this group as one you can't say they choked or collapsed if they don't make it.  I don't kink shame but it feels like much of this fanbase is into cucking and/or edging.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

What's the scenario for tomorrow? Braves & Mets each just need to win one?

Yep.

Per the rulebook there's nothing preventing either team from simply forfeiting one game apiece and not tiring anyone out one day before the playoffs.  But it would violate the "spirit of the game" + who knows if MLB would try to institute unilateral punishment.

More realistically the Braves want revenue for one more day so the more likely outcome is everyone plays game 1 and whoever wins goes into total rest mode for game 2.

Sorry to keep harping on it but while 2007 will likely always be firmly entrenched as the biggest collapse in team history, it's set up the "LOLMETS" phrase that's been around since then and we're now in a very specific scenario playing out where if they miss the playoffs today, it will feel to me like probably the worst moment they've had since then.  Which is saying something given all that's happened with this team in the last 17 years.  I actually don't know I'll be able to will myself to invest anymore energy in this club if they blow it in this fashion after all of this, and there's a lot of Mets fans my age in the same boat.  The team might look like it's on the upturn but things like this would just firmly remind us nothing ever really changes and we shouldn't ever expect it to no matter who we sign or who is running the show.

One single win in Atlanta and I can assure you you're not gonna hear me doom about the Mets for the foreseeable future.  I'll feel reason to be optimistic about the future.  Two losses today you probably just won't hear me talk about the Mets again at all because I'll finally hit the point I can no longer care.

The antidote to my doomer brain is one single win in Atlanta in a big spot.  That's it.  That shouldn't be too much to ask for after all these years.  Please Mets.  Just one.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Buscher said:

Sorry to keep harping on it but while 2007 will likely always be firmly entrenched as the biggest collapse in team history, it's set up the "LOLMETS" phrase that's been around since then and we're now in a very specific scenario playing out where if they miss the playoffs today, it will feel to me like probably the worst moment they've had since then.  Which is saying something given all that's happened with this team in the last 17 years.  I actually don't know I'll be able to will myself to invest anymore energy in this club if they blow it in this fashion after all of this, and there's a lot of Mets fans my age in the same boat.  The team might look like it's on the upturn but things like this would just firmly remind us nothing ever really changes and we shouldn't ever expect it to no matter who we sign or who is running the show.

One single win in Atlanta and I can assure you you're not gonna hear me doom about the Mets for the foreseeable future.  I'll feel reason to be optimistic about the future.  Two losses today you probably just won't hear me talk about the Mets again at all because I'll finally hit the point I can no longer care.

The antidote to my doomer brain is one single win in Atlanta in a big spot.  That's it.  That shouldn't be too much to ask for after all these years.  Please Mets.  Just one.

I, for one, don't mind the Mets doomranting - as a Minnesotan, I can definitely relate somewhat hahaha. But I will be crushing if they lose, especially considering that they'll be playing 8 sacks of potatoes and a BP pitcher in game 2.

31 minutes ago, Krabby said:

I, for one, don't mind the Mets doomranting - as a Minnesotan, I can definitely relate somewhat hahaha. But I will be crushing if they lose, especially considering that they'll be playing 8 sacks of potatoes and a BP pitcher in game 2.

I actually don't even think the Braves lineup will be that bad for game 2 (and I've already moved on to game 2 because they, unsurprisingly, can't hit Spencer Schwellenbach yet again).  Rosters are limited in September so you can't rest everybody.

The lineup figures to include Sean Murphy, Whit Merrifield, and Adam Duvall.  That's 3 vets who aren't gonna just roll over.  Oh plus Jarred Kelenic who has the chance to write his name in LOLMets lore by eliminating the team who traded him away.

The Braves SHOULD be throwing their worst pitchers but that doesn't mean I trust Severino to not get ambushed by guys who are wanting to end this team's season yet again.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

This season is over.  Zero fucking chance they win game 2 after this colossal meltdown and honestly they don't deserve to.

Lindor puts them up 8-7! There's still hope