The Astros gave up a pretty decent haul for Yusei Kikuchi. If the Jays could get a similar haul for Chad Green or Chris Bassitt, I could see them moving both of them as well.

• Like 1

The Astros basically killed the SP market for everyone else with that trade.  Kikuchi is incredibly mediocre, giving up what they gave up to get him makes guys like Skubal and Crochet basically unattainable unless those teams drop their asks at the last possible second.

57 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

The Astros basically killed the SP market for everyone else with that trade.  Kikuchi is incredibly mediocre, giving up what they gave up to get him makes guys like Skubal and Crochet basically unattainable unless those teams drop their asks at the last possible second.

No chance the Tigers are moving Skubal. It's been radio silence and they also seem like a team that thinks they're getting closer and could use Skubal to make a run in 25 or 26.

56 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

The deal is good, don't get me wrong but also the Astros farm system is rated pretty low so this might be a deal that even if it's an overpay, isn't actually as big of an overpay as people think it is. Prospects are risky!

Bloss and Loperfido are likely going to see action this year for the Jays, because they're both that close to MLB ready. I think Loperfido is actually joining the 26 man roster right away here. Bloss may be headed to Buffalo, but don't expect that to last long with the need for major league arms. He's had a rough go in his Houston audition this year, but his quick ascent through the minors and his underlying numbers suggest we've got something special here. The trade really should have just been Kikuchi for Bloss. Atkins did a good thing here. It's rare, but it happens.

The Astros get 2 to 3 months of Kikuchi, and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes back to Toronto in the off-season. His wife loves it there, and he's a consummate pro. He knows this was just asset management, and if he isn't blown away by other offers, I'd expect a return to Toronto.

Oh, and Will Wagner... might top out as a utility player, but maybe he can be a better and more consistent Cavan Biggio for us long-term.

Yeah these prices are just absolutely ridiculous.

No matter what David Stearns says publicly, I bet he's privately furious that the Mets played themselves back into contention.  With the going rate for starters he'd have loved to have thrown Luis Severino, Sean Manaea, and Jose Quintana out there.

5 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

Yeah these prices are just absolutely ridiculous.

No matter what David Stearns says publicly, I bet he's privately furious that the Mets played themselves back into contention.  With the going rate for starters he'd have loved to have thrown Luis Severino, Sean Manaea, and Jose Quintana out there.

You'd have the best farm system in baseball by 6pm!

The plight of the NY market.  I'd be sad if I watched my team put up the best record in baseball since June just to end up selling at the deadline, knowing the team I'd see for the rest of the year is a minor league squad.

But I also realistically know that as fun as it's been the last two months, this simply isn't a championship team as constructed, especially pitching-wise.  And there's no apparent way for them to get there.  Maybe they make an aggressive call-up of Brandon Sproat?  I get early Matt Harvey vibes from him.

So like, I'd get it if he suddenly shifted gears at the 11th hour and sold.  But while I'd understand it, most of the fanbase would be ready to run him out of town on a rail, so they're just gonna stand pat I suppose.

All told, the Mets got a couple of good relievers and traded for Paul Blackburn who, at a glance, seems like he's along the Kikuchi/Rogers levels they were shopping but significantly less expensive.  Pair that with the Jesse Winker and Ryne Stanek trades the other day and yeah, not too bad.  Kept all of the top prospects at a time they're still building the farm.

Making the playoffs is still going to be a battle with how crowded the race is.  If they do make it, it's hard to see them going very far considering Severino has to be hitting a wall soon, Manaea/Quintana/Blackburn are mid-level to back-end guys, Butto's been bounced from the rotation to the bullpen and now seemingly back to the rotation, who knows if Senga can actually return, who knows if they'll call up Sproat etc.

In a way I kinda love it though - all the pressure on the world was on them in 2022 as a 101-win team and they shat the bed in the wild card.  Entering a playoff run as underdogs with low expectations should be better on the ticker.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Jackson Holliday first career HR is a grand slam to Eutaw Street! Wooooowwwwww

That was sick. A straight up no doubter. 

Mike Trout out for the year.  Again.  Officially will be the fewest games he’s ever played in a season.

Through 2019 it appeared the guy was going to easily cruise into being a top 5 player of all time.  Really sad how much his body has betrayed him.

• Sad 5