Good thing Alonso screwed his more deserving teammates by making an ultimatum to the league.  His quid pro quo of doing the derby in exchange for an All Star spot ended up being a huge fail with the worst showing of his career.

This meathead is probably getting a qualifying offer at best this offseason and even with the team playing better I can’t wait for his one dimensional ass to be gone.

That version of the National Anthem before the derby was....certainly something

• Haha 1

Pirates have won six straight after tonight's game and they look like they're having fun while doing it. The rotation is solid, the bullpen has come together, and the bats have woken up. A young team like this can be a lot of fun come fall if they can keep it together. 

There's a story going around saying the Red Sox are interested in selling guys like Jansen, O'Neill, and Pivetta at the deadline.

Going into the AS break, they were in the third Wild Card spot.  And then got swept by the Dodgers.  Our cheap AF owner must be happy, so now Boston  doesn't have to be a buyer.  Which is mind blowing, they're only two games out of a Wild Card spot.

I'm not expecting Crochet and Robert, but at least get some serviceable pitching and a right handed bat.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Love this time of year for all the hypothetical trades. I don't know the prospects though so is this one at all realistic @gunnar hendershow

I think that's got some potential. I don't know if they're going to trade away two top 20 MLB prospects (though Kjerstad technically just graduated) for one player, that'd be a tremendous return for Detroit.

Norby is definitely a guy who has to be traded. Much like Joey Ortiz, no room for him. 

I think they try to unload the next tier of prospects as much as they can and keep most/all of Mayo, Basallo, and Holliday. The team drafts very well, lot of single A guys who are exciting.

• Like 1

Garrett Crochet, having already pitched more innings than he ever has, come out out and said that his plan is to pitch the full season, as a starter, on regular rest with no breaks.  However, if traded, he will not agree to pitch out of the bullpen and, even more importantly, he will not agree to pitch in the playoffs without receiving a contract extension.

This is somewhat reminiscent of Josh Hader last year.  All season, he dictated his usage to the Padres and made himself unavailable for games based on what he felt was best for his health.  The team cannot force the player to play - their only recourse is to suspend them without pay and teams realistically aren't going to do that as it'll kill the vibes in the clubhouse and open themselves up to union grievances.  So this is seemingly the only way players can protect themselves from teams blowing their arms out before they can get paid.

The White Sox have to be fuming that Crochet might've possibly cratered his trade market.  But from Crochet's standpoint he's taking a dice roll that he's gonna get paid imminently.

Well that's good news for the Skubal trade market with one less pitcher reasonably in play.

I think should it materialize for the Orioles that they trade for him it'll definitely involve a team taking on Mountcastle and sending the prospect(s) for him over to Detroit. Then Mayo gets called up to take his spot. I think Elias is really working to keep all the top prospects even if trading for Skubal and I think he can pull it off if there's a willing partner to get a player like Mountcastle.

So we address a need and the most we give up realistically is a guy who maybe could've been a starting OFer in a few years, and has as good or better OF prospects in the farm system already. I'll take it. Elfin is good, need a better pitcher still but I'm happy with adding him to the rotation.

On Friday the reporting around the Mets was that they were set to go for it, atop the wild card race and getting their ace back in Kodai Senga making his season debut.

Sal Licata, WFAN loudmouth who notoriously jinxed the Mets two years ago by declaring the NL East over with the Mets up 10.5 games over the Braves, posted on Friday night that the Wild Card race was over.  Not even 20 minutes later, Senga went down in a heap on the field with a calf injury.  His regular season is over after one start.

Then after Saturday and Sunday beatdowns by the Braves, the reporting now is that Stearns is scared off by the asking prices for starting pitching.  The fact that they very swiftly announced Senga was out for the year probably nuked their leverage even further.

Blah.  The group's been fun to watch since June at least so it's an improvement over last year.  Finishing it off with a playoff berth would be nice but it's tough to get overly excited if they don't add starting pitching.  A rotation that includes Tylor Megill and David Peterson isn't winning a championship.

Will be a very interesting 24 hours. All reports are Orioles want to add another top line starter - no word on anymore bullpen help (which they sorely need, but could maybe be fixed by moving some starters into the pen).

I don't envision a Skubal trade happening, Detroit has to think they're not too far off and with Jackson Jobe creeping closer than can make a real run perhaps as early as next season. Plus they'll get a decent return for Flaherty.

As a result I think we're moving our focus to Snell. The Elfin acquisition helps mitigate some of the rotation gaps next season. And his opt-out means SF can't ask for too much. ERA sucks, FIP is much better. Worth the risk, unless he descends into a bidding war as the "best starter available".