Not that this wasn't anything I haven't been saying all year but with each passing series where the Yanks look awesome and the Mets look like clowns, the price tag Cohen would have to throw at Soto to even remotely tempt him to leave gets higher and higher to the point where it's basically impossible.  And any Mets fan who thinks they're getting him has brainworms.

He's gonna get a massive offer from the Yankees as is.  Any threat from Hal about cutting payroll is about the other players.  He might have to let everyone else walk if they pay Soto but no Yankee fan will care.  They've got plenty of young players still on the way + great scouting resources.

Cohen might have more money than god but he's not gonna spend $100+ million more on the next best offer for any one player.  After what happened with Yamamoto I think he'd sooner take the PR hit from fans for "not trying hard enough" making a competitive offer that isn't way higher than the rest than be taken for a ride again.  To offer that much more than any other team would make him look really desperate, set him up for a generational embarrassment when it's still not enough, or they sign him and it's "congrats but this team still really sucks".

I wish they looked remotely competent enough where I'd think they can tempt a star.  But they're as far from that as can be.  There are no quick fixes here and there should be no half-measures.  As I've said it needs to be stripped down and built back up again.

I love Soto but even I'd be thinking, "wait...this guy turned down $500-$600 million from the Yankees to come here?  Must not care about winning anymore."  and I'd be worried that he gets sucked right into the apathetic culture this core has established.

• Sad 1

Sadly John Means got his 2nd Tommy John in 25 months today. Been really pulling for all the holdovers from the 100-loss teams to find success on the now-contenders and most of them got to enjoy the playoffs at the very least last year but Means didn't as he was held out of the ALDS because of an injury.

Very tough to come back from a 2nd TJ especially so soon after his last one.

• Sad 4

Tucupita Marcano of the Padres (or should I say, formerly of the Padres now) banned for life for betting on baseball.

Welcome to the Pete Rose Club.

Marcano was betting on Pirates games while he was on the team (albeit injured).  Not smart.

D-Backs pitcher Andrew Saalfrank, Athletics pitcher Michael Kelly, Padres pitcher Jay Groome, and Phillies infielder Jose Rodriguez have all been banned for 1-year for unrelated violations of the MLB gambling policy.

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

From what I understand, they only got suspensions because they were in the minors when the violations happened.

One year for any person who bets on sports who works for a club or MLB. Lifetime ban if you bet on your own team. 

• Thanks 1

If this kid lives up to the hype at Stanford, he'll not only be the top pick of the 2026 draft (the earliest he'd eligible), he might just go straight to the big leagues.  And the ripple effect it could have on NPB could be enormous.  They might be forced to revise their contract/posting policies to avoid all of the top Japanese HS players wanting to go to college in the US.

Once they trade half their pitching staff they should definitely sign Grimace up!  They’ll need some innings.

In all seriousness Severino is the best trade asset they have right now pitching-wise and I’m not even sure he’s worth anything.  It’s not just that he’s a rental, it’s that as good as he’s been this year, teams know he hasn’t pitched a full season since 2018.  Can’t really see how he doesn’t hit a wall before October unless a team plans on shifting him to the bullpen for the stretch run.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You should be able to bet on games you aren't involved in. That or sports leagues shouldn't take sponsorship money from gambling sites. It feels hypocritical to me

The argument could be made that he had insider knowledge from conversing with the crews working the games he bet on. Or that it was part of a conspiracy to rig games. (I don't buy either of those.)