2024 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Apparently the Bears offered Atlanta a future 4th round pick to move up from 9 to 8 so we could for sure get Odunze. Thank got Atlanta said no to that one and we got him anyway

If they knew they were taking Penix, why not take the deal. What was Chicago going to do - draft 2 QBs?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Krabby said:

If they knew they were taking Penix, why not take the deal. What was Chicago going to do - draft 2 QBs?

I guess in theory they could worry that after Chicago traded up someone would trade with Chicago to then wind in front of Atlanta. Granted nobody thought they were taking Penix but maybe you move up ahead of some other potential QB teams to guarantee your guy.

I'm thinking too much about this because of how poorly Atlanta handled the draft.

Maybe it's just more interesting to me as a Giants fan but as someone who always enjoyed sports management sims, the offseason Hard Knocks has been really enjoyable - I've already seen a lot more in 2 episodes that I thought they'd actually show.

The phone call with Barkley telling him they're gonna allow him to test free agency but asking for his word that he'd come back with his offers to see if they could match/work something else was pretty fascinating not just to hear but also to read the discourse it generated because a lot of it is open to interpretation.  Barkley clearly didn't take well to being asked to circle back.  But given the Giants had made him multiple fair market offers in the past two years he turned down, I don't think giving him the chance to test the market but asking him to circle back wasn't above board.  If the guy really wanted to be a Giant for life, they were giving him a chance.

I can see why Barkley or any athlete would take it as a "fuck you" because it's kinda like saying our offer is our offer, we don't think you'll get more and we'll only pay you more if another team will.  Schoen basically thanking him for his service while he's also telling him they hope to still reach a deal could also be interpreted by Barkley as the team wasn't gonna seriously match anything.  But from the team's perspective, they'd really done all they could've to that point and there was little more they could do but let him shop and see if he'd actually giving them to match.  Barkley going on Twitter talking shit about the Giants never making him an offer is funny in hindsight because, yeah it's technically true but it's only true because you signed without giving them another chance to make an offer.  "I want to be a Giant for life" my ass.

Anyway, I think both sides knew the relationship was over when they hung up the phone.  And given some of the things Schoen said in week 1 "I don't want to pay a QB $40 million to hand the ball off to a $13 million RB" and having to sell John Mara on why losing Barkley wouldn't be a death sentence given the value of the market, I think Schoen's happy it worked out as it did.  Was probably best for both sides.

• Like 1